Monday, January 22, 2007

A Pathetic Plea To Lisa Gill, Editor, Retail Pharmacy Management

Hi Lisa, or should I call you Ms. Gill? I wouldn't want us to get off on the wrong foot....

First, I would like to thank you for taking the time to regularly send a copy of your publication, Retail Pharmacy Management, to my employer. It makes the 5 minutes I spend trying to eat half a sandwich while gulping down flat soda among the most enjoyable of my workday. Your publication isn't bad as far as the trade magazines go, but as an old baseball coach of mine once said, "The day you stop trying to get better is the day you start to become worse." I think you share this commitment to continual improvement, which is why I am writing you today with a modest proposal.

Take a look around my little blog garden here Ms. Gill. I don't want to sound immodest, but I think you will see I know my way around the English language. I can weave words into sentences into paragraphs into stories that can capture the attention of potential readers who are wandering by and make them stop, look, and read. If you click on the category "An Insiders View Of The Profession" you'll see I also have done some amateur pseudo-journalism, albeit with sources that are in the public domain. Imagine what I could do with the power of an organization such as Retail Pharmacy Management at my disposal. While my writing here may be a bit, shall we say, advocacy oriented, let me assure you that I have many years of experience in selling my soul to toe the corporate line once paychecks start showing up in my checking account. Or perhaps you like my current writing style and could see me as a younger, hipper, version of Drug Topics columnist Jim Plagakis. With me on your team Ms. Gill, we could totally take down those Drug Topics bastards and become the undisputed leader of the pharmacy trade publication world.

I would also point out that I do all my own copy editing here, and the dearth of typographical or grammatical errors on these pages shows you could be getting the value of two employees with only one hire.

Before you make your decision Ms. Gill, I would like to point out the most important characteristic I would bring to your organization. To do this, I am going to look intently into your eyes, so you will know that I am sincere:




I am a team player Ms. Gill, and I know the value of not rocking the boat so that the organization can move forward. Once a decision has been made, doing something like complaining about possible sexual harassment goes against the very core of my moral values. I would never complain about sexual harassment. You should also not underestimate how my eagerness, actually, desperation might not be too strong a word, to start a new career could benefit you and Retail Pharmacy Management. I would do anything to be a part of your team.

Anything.........

I look forward to your response.

Sincerely,

Drugmonkey

8 comments:

Randall Sexton said...

I really think she'll go for it. I can see in her eyes that she is missing something in her life.

somepharmacyguy said...

Impress the lady with an extended discussion on the cost/benefit relationship of a "slap the stupid customer" policy.
Or, you could just scribble your phone number on every box of Levlen in the dispensary.

Unknown said...

dude, isn't it 'toe the line?'

DrugMonkey, Master of Pharmacy said...

It is indeed "toe" the line. Perhaps I could use the occasional copy editor. Please don't tell Lisa.

Anonymous said...

YOU???? A lil pharma-"ho"??????? Say it isn't soooooo, Drug Monkey....you'd sell ur lil plastic tray for a chance to reduce ur readership??? To break out???? To sit at some "safe" desk and not out in the "real"
word....
What will the rest of us do when u land the job and we cant read ur posts anymore cuz ur toe-ing the line????
Don't leave us......
Ur Congaqween

Anonymous said...

"Write about what you know about."
The number one, cardinal rule
You are doing that. Second rule is: Give the editor what the editor wants. Even if that is your second best.
Younger? For sure.
Hipper? Well I don't know about that.
Jim Plagakis

Anonymous said...

Did she/they contact you????

I'd hire you if I had a magazine!
Maybe I should get one.....

Anonymous said...

Hmmmmm not so much nowadays.....

KIDDING! I love your blog. Sure, you don't NEED a copy editor, but I could provide other services as well...


Cause I'm a pretty good tech. That's all. That's all I meant.