Friday, December 08, 2006

Pearls of Wisdom From Today's Pill Counting Action.

Actual question from an actual customer at the pharmacy counter, where we fill prescriptions and do other medicinal related kind of things:

"Do deer eat poinsettias?"

Now maybe this was really a compliment. Perhaps I give the impression of being someone knowledgeable of both medicines and animal behavior, but deer could live off the blood of 16 year old virgins for all I know. This really upset the customer. Not the possibility of hoofed blood suckers, which I had the good sense not to mention, but the fact that I didn't know if they munched on poinsettias. I think if 10 is the most livid I have ever seen a customer, this woman was easily a 6.

This was followed shortly by "What was going on on the 42 that had traffic so tied up?"

Not "Have you heard......", or "Do you know anything about......" It wasn't even a question really, it was phrased more like a demand. I started to wonder if the traffic problem wasn't somehow my fault.

Maybe they really do need to change pharmacy school to an 8 year program.

Late in the day I got "Where is the Airborne?" This one I did know. Airborne is a cold remedy whose sales figures in our store are inversely proportional to it's effectiveness. It's kept by the front registers.

This prompted a disgusted sigh from the customer. "All the way in the front? " The petulant man-child complained.

Yes. All the way in the front. Right next to the front door. The same door you will have to walk through if you are ever planning on leaving the store. Just watch out for the deer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Airborne is a cold remedy whose sales figures in our store are inversely proportional to it's effectiveness.

HAHAHAHAHAHA best description of that shite EVER.

Mc RPh said...

...but it was formulated by a second grade school teacher!!!! how could it not be effective? shoot me now. i hate my job. =)

by the way, great job. you have given me back a sense of humor (which had been rather abruptly stripped from me upon graduation from pharmacy school.