Saturday, December 23, 2006

Highlights From Today's Pill Counting Action.

I thought I had made my point sufficiently when I said that Elestat was an antihistamine, but evidently not. The next words I hear were "so that would be good for itchy allergy eyes?" I almost dropped the phone.

"Uh, Drugmonkey" those of you in the profession are saying to yourselves. "That's pretty low on the scale of stupidity we deal with, as a matter of fact, that's exactly the kind of question members of the general public should ask their pharmacist."

I was talking to a doctor. A doctor was asking me if an antihistamine would be good to treat allergy symptoms. Many members of the general public know an antihistamine is exactly what you would use. A few members of an elementary school special ed class would know this, but the doctor wanted to double check.

Not a podiatrist. Not a Nurse Practitioner. A medical doctor. She charges $95 for an office visit.

Later on that afternoon a guy at the counter says he twisted his ankle "a little bit" and wants to know what the Drugmonkey recommends. It's obvious from second one that the customer is a member of the more money than brains demographic.

It became a little more obvious a few minutes after I told him to ice it down and take some Aleve when he returned to the counter.

"I found the Aleve" he said. "But could you tell me where the Ice It Down is?"

Just in case you had any doubt left that Americans are empty headed machines programmed to do nothing but buy. At least he didn't ask where the wrapping paper was.

5 comments:

Katie Schwartz said...

where the "ice it down" is?!?!?! I am loving his stupidity so hard right now it's simply not funny!!! omg. rolling ovah hea!!!

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! I will start keeping bags of ice in the pharmacy and name it "Ice it Down" which will retail for $7.99!!! Sweet! This is way better than the pet rock or "Jump to conclusions" welcome mat. Muahahha....I'm off to become a millionaire for people's stupidity. First, I'll make some sweet TV commercials, because apparently that is all you need to sell crap. Seriously, I get so many people asking where products are that they saw on TV that it's scary (Cold-MD, Head-On). It's amazing how easily influenced people are and they will be my target audience!!!! Stupid idiots!

Anonymous said...

Several years ago, I saw a George Carlin show. One of the jokes he told was as follows: "Somewhere out there is the world's worst doctor. By the process of elimination, there must be one doctor who is worse than all of the others. And the scary thing is...SOMEONE HAS AN APPOINTMENT TO SEE HIM TOMORROW!" I think you might have been talking to the doctor he was referring to.

Anonymous said...

Well if your -future pharmacist actually worked in a pharmacy he would find alot of humor in this. We deal with these idiots everyday. One day when he actually steps foot into a pharmacy, he will figure out you have to learn idiot as a second lang. in pharmacy school, not to mention handwriting analysis.

Anonymous said...

just wanted to let you know if i ever i thought i was having a bad day in the pharmacy it helps knowing yours sucked more thanks.