Thursday, November 09, 2006

And Now, Back To The Freaks........

I should know better by now. I'm old enough to remember when OBRA, the federal law that led to various state mandates that pharmacists offer to council patients with every new prescription, went into effect. At one time it was perfectly legal, encouraged even depending on what chain you worked for, to bag up someones prescription and just throw it in their general direction. Those were the days. I thought OBRA was the stupidest thing on the face of the earth when I first heard of it, but I have since had a change of heart. I now think OBRA is somewhere around the 20 or 25th stupidest thing on the face of the earth. I've seen a lot of stupidity since then.

Read your fucking label. Read the goddamn paper that came with your prescription and leave me alone.

Today however, I met the woman OBRA was designed for. A baby momma who evidently sent a lot of her IQ through the placenta in the process of reproducing. Tech asks if she wants the pharmacist to go over her kid's new medicine and baby momma eagerly says yes. I think she may have jumped at the chance because it will be the first time anyone has paid any attention to her since baby daddy's cock was withdrawn. So I sadly walk over to begin the "counseling session"

Usually in this case I just kinda say whatever pops into my head about the persons medicine. "Take it with food......it's pink.....it's to treat an infection.....keep it away from drain-o", for a couple minutes, then wrap it up with something like "there's some more information on these sheets, if you run into any questions feel free to give me a call" Two minutes of my life I will never get back. Tonight though, part of the conversation went like this.

Me: so you'll give a dose two times a day, shoot for about every 12 hours.....

Baby Momma: "and it's 3 to 4 teaspoons"

Me: no ma'am...... it's three fourths of a teaspoonful at a time, up to here on your dropper.

Baby Momma: "But the first dose should be more, right?"

Me: "No ma'am. some antibiotics work that way, but with this one you'll just be giving three-fourths of a teaspoonful two times a day"

Baby Momma: "Would it hurt anything if I gave her the 4 teaspoons?"

I understood the stakes now. I was in a fight for the kids well being. Drastic action was necessary.

Me: "YES! GIVE THREE QUARTERS OF A TEASPOONFUL. NO MORE!"

It was only when I started to treat her like shit that I seemed to get anywhere with her. I imagine that explains a lot about how she ended up in her particular life situation.

I hate all people.

1 comment:

Katie Schwartz said...

you are so funny, dn.