Monday, November 10, 2008

You Were Good About Putting Up With My Politics Posts. You Were Better In Picking A President. Have Some Highlights From Friday's Pill Counting Action

First question of the day: "My doctor told me to take some aspirin for my heart. What should I get? Tylenol?"

Second question of the day: "Do you sell aspirin here?" The person honest to God wandered into a drugstore and wasn't sure if the drugstore would stock aspirin. 

Which is not Tylenol by the way. I went to school for 5 years so I would be prepared to clear up confusion like this. 

My employer thought it was time to dress us all in new lab coats. They showed up 2 weeks ago, but today was the first day I had one of them on.  When my tech showed up, 15 minutes late, her first words were "Oh you're wearing the new coat! You look like a girl!" Great. 

That may have been why a couple hours later a customer invited me to "suck some cock," because I looked like a girl. Or maybe because when we told him his prescription would take about 20 minutes, and he said "I'LL BE BACK IN TEN!!" I said " you'll be waiting for another ten then" 

Good thing Proposition 8 passed in California, or the angry customer may have asked me to marry him. Unless he thought I looked like a girl. 

An actual question from an actual doctor's office around hour 5. "Why did you send me this prior auth? I'm just the prescriber!!"

For those of you not in the profession, I'll tell you it is the prescriber's responsibility to obtain a prior auth from your insurance company. 99.999% of prescribers realize this. Your insurance will not take a prior auth request from me. Even if I whine and cry like a girl.

A man at the cash register called his wife and talked for 10 minutes discussing the best way to pay his $5 copay. They decided on a debit card. Then changed their mind to cash. Then back to the debit card. The lesson to be learned; technology is vital to the functioning of a modern economy. God forbid we go back to 1990 when he just would have given me a fucking Lincoln and had 9 extra minutes in his day. And not had a cellphone bill.

The guy in line behind cellphone douche asked "Do you need a prescription to buy a pill cutter?" 

5 years to be able to handle these questions my friends. 

About an hour later a customer had a complaint. The sign above the pet aisle read "Dried Cat Food, Cat Food, Cat Litter, Dog Food" Cats were mentioned three times, dogs once. That's what the customer felt the need to complain about.

You know why you shouldn't bother your pharmacist with stuff like this, other than the fact that he's busy filling your goddamn prescription and stuff like this doesn't have a thing to do with your goddamn prescription? Because the pharmacist labor shortage frees me up to say things like "I couldn't care less about the pet food signs ma'am" to your face when you bother me with stuff like this, which is exactly what happened. You're way better off finding the community college dropout assistant manager who might actually get fired for calling out your odd obsession with equal time for dogs. Just a tip. 

At hour 10 a customer told my keystone tech "you've had a long day." Hour 10 for me I should say. It was hour 8 for my keystone tech, who was about ready to go home. I got to stick around for 2 more hours and ponder how much people appreciate my actual real long days.

Tylenol is not aspirin. Goodnight. 

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wait... Tylenol isn't Aspirin? Well crap. I've been giving people the wrong advice all these years! (Heavy sarcasm there.)

I'm reminded once more why hospital pharmacy is a much better fit for me... I don't have to answer those questions anymore... I just have to deal with the idiot nurses who use me as a damned dictionary

"How do you spell Aspirin?" I actually told the nurse that asked that to give me her nursing license because it wasn't worth the paper it was printed on...

Unknown said...

Yes, but apap thins the blood like...oh right. TOTALLY not the same.

Anonymous said...

Don't be sad. I'm sure that your tech didn't mean that you really look like a girl when you put on your fabulous new lab coat. Maybe she was just saying that she enjoys working with a man who looks gay in his fabulous new lab coat. Whatever, don't worry about it. We all know that you're an ass kicking manly guy who knows the difference between aspirin and Tylenol.

Anonymous said...

"Highlights from Today's Pill-Counting Action".

The best of your blog - please keep them coming.

Cracked Pestle said...

Another hospital pharmacist here. I've had NURSES ask me how much aspirin is in Tylenol. Multiple nurses.
But my favorite question was the health care professional who asked me if there were still 1000 mg in a gram. STILL!!! Wanted me to know that she was no lightweight, she knew at some point how many millligrams made up a gram, but she just wasn't sure if that was still the case. I was so tempted to tell her "No, the International Weights and Measurement Standards were adjusted a few months ago and now there are only 976 mg in a gram." But she would have likely believed me and hung up before I could explain the concept of sarcasm to her. At least I didn't lanquish for two years in a residency so I could field such inquiries.
Kudos on the cat vs dog rejoinder. I probably would have said cats are just higher maintenance than dogs and need more products, but I like your answer better.

Anonymous said...

Funniest blog I have ever read!!!!!!!!! Seriously laughed out loud and then re-read it to everyone in the room afterwards (also pharmacy people) I am sending this to everyone I know in the profession. OMG, Please keep these coming! You're like the adam sandler of pharmacy... and I'm talking Happy Gilmore and Billy Madison Sandler, not waterboy/little Nicky

Anonymous said...

SUCKER!!!! You went to school for 5 years to answer questions like this...I WENT TO 6 YEARS.....wait... that's not right! I should be able to do more than answer stupid questions...wait...I do! I got to explain to my lovely Medicaid patient today why she still have to pay a WHOLE DOLLAR for her prescription of VALTREX even if she gets 15 pills not 30! (she was under the impression that if she got half of the prescription she would pay 50 cents instead of a dollar)...UMMMM it is $200 worth of medication what makes you think you would only pay 50 cents, my paycheck just picked up the $199 so take it or leave it! (seriously I told her that...again as DM pointed out...what are they going to do fire me?)

Anonymous said...

i saw a man wearing only a white lab coat muttering to himself and emptying bottles of tylenol into his mouth and playing with kitty litter while diabolically laughing....was that you?

Dave said...

give yourself a little while to get used to the short-sleeve lab coat. we have the option to go long or short but as someone who is 6'8" (sleeve length can be an issue) and always warm, I was skeptical when I first tried it out, but it does the trick. especially nice for those hot summer days when you are running around like an idiot for 12 solid hours.

Anonymous said...

haha, glad to hear retail pharmacy is the same the whole world over..." Hi sorry, can you tell me where the ... are, i cant find them in the ... aisle. WTF? Did i study to be a shop asisstant?

Charlie said...

How's Spooky doing?

Anonymous said...

"Tylenol is not aspirin. Goodnight."

LMFAO!! I really wanna work at your store. Are you this funny in real life?

kario said...

You know the reason everyone asks you those stupid questions is because you are a captive audience. The store manager isn't trapped in a virtual cage at the rear of the store - he can hide in the back or pretend to be scolding a pimply-faced employee. You - you're trapped. Maybe if you wore a nametag that said you didn't speak English they'd leave you alone?

Romius T. said...

"You're way better off finding the community college dropout assistant manager who might actually get fired for calling out your odd obsession with equal time for dogs."

hey I resemble that buddy...

ThatDeborahGirl said...

Now I see the point of those warnings: Before starting an aspirin regimen, consult your doctor. Not just because someone should talk to a doctor before taking an aspirin a day but also to make sure they're taking aspirin.

Although recently I did have to explain to my 16 year old daughter daughter the difference between brand names and the actual "medicines" in them; she now knows (I hope) at least the difference between acetaminophen (Tylenol), ibuprofen(Motrin, Advil), naproxen (Aleve), and plain old fashioned aspirin(Bayer). I also had to explain that if she starts taking one - for cramps or such, she shouldn't suddenly switch to another. She thought it was ok to take a dose of Tylenol and then four hours later take a dose Motrin because, "What's the dif?"

That's when we had our little talk.

I know it seems such a simple thing when you do it every day- but use your blog to educate folks a little? Couldn't hurt. And it's not giving advice to explain a difference like that is it?

Anonymous said...

This post explains why I am going back to school to be an accountant. I can't take it anymore!! No way can I do another 20-25 years of this. I don't care if I do make half of what I do now. Today I took the first step - I'm psyched!!

Anonymous said...

Love your blog, can't believe that I actually saw a customer ask the Pharmacist the exact same question. Work as a cashier/tech at the Son of Sam and can tell you that they keep their Rphs soo busy no one has time to read your blog. Keep up the good work DrugMonkey.