Wednesday, November 05, 2008

A True Story About John McCain I Can Tell You Now That The Election Is Over.

I don't have to tell most of you that John McCain was a fighter pilot in the Navy during the Vietnam War. I don't have to tell you that he was shot down, captured, held prisoner and tortured by the Vietnamese for 5 and a half years. 

And I don't mean the kind of torture that we do in Guantanamo where we're careful not to leave any marks. The Vietnamese didn't care anything about leaving marks. They beat the living piss out of John McCain and then would hang him from the ceiling in his cell by his broken arms when they were done. That's why you never saw him raise his arms during the campaign. He can't. At one point during his captivity he weighed less than a hundred pounds. That's not the story I want to tell you though. The story I want to tell you starts in that prison cell, with the voice of a person named David Ifshin.

Ifshin was president of the National Student Association, and in 1970 he went to Hanoi to urge American troops to turn against the war. His words were broadcast over Radio Hanoi repeatedly and into the cell that was John McCain's living hell. 

You might expect that the two men would have gone on to become bitter lifelong enemies. You would be wrong. Ifshin went on to be general counsel of Bill Clinton's presidential campaign, a fact that didn't sit very well with many of the veterans of the war Ifshin had railed against. Some of these veterans heckled the president during his first Memorial Day speech, waving signs that read "Tell us about David Ifshin

John McCain gave a speech on the floor of the Senate that day. “Let me tell you about David Ifshin…" McCain said. "David is a friend of mine.”

"I wanted the protesters to know that they were bearing false witness against a good man." McCain said later."His friendship honored me and honors me still."

 You see, although both McCain and Ifshin came to radically different conclusions, both men passionately believed in doing what was best for the country. Both men came to see that in the other and to respect the others' commitment. 

I was going to write a tongue in cheek post tonight about kicking the Republicans when they were down. It would have been really funny. But after hearing Obama's victory speech tonight, I decided to tell you this story instead. Because my friends, I can't help but feel there was a tectonic shift in this country tonight. A much welcome shift in the tone we are going to get from our leader over the next 8 years. After hearing the man I had hoped so long for, finally making the speech that I so longed for him to make, well, a post about kicking the Republicans when they were down just seemed so.........Bushy. 

And Bush already seems like ancient history, doesn't he?

I'll be dammed if there isn't a little hope in the land tonight. 


  

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear, so glad.

(Expect to hear about no more whiskey for hereon forwards.)

Anonymous said...

Hope sure does feel good for a change, doesn't it?

Anonymous said...

Well said. And I might add, McCain impressed me with his speech, he seemed sincere when he spoke of Barack's grandmother and I, too, feel that just maybe there will be a change in politics. Hope is a powerful emotion. I am very proud to be an American in such a historic time!

Scritches.com said...

Yes, drugmonkey. Yes.

Cracked Pestle said...

This is indeed a transformative moment in our national history. Now that McCain is back in his own skin, and President-elect Obama is working on his transition to the White House, our country can perhaps re-rail itself and get back on course. There is absolution, after all.

Anonymous said...

I may not have agreed with the man's presidential campaign, but I have tremendous respect for him as a person. I've been reading up on his life as a POW and his will and defiance towards the North Vietnamese is incredible. To the readers and drugnazi if you already haven't, look him up on wikipedia if you already haven't and read the stories of his bravery, there are too many to list in one post. Even up until his release, he resisted their demands. This made me chuckle: when the North Vietnamese demanded that he give them the names of his squadron members, he named the Green Bay Packers offensive line.

Anonymous said...

next 8 years? lol

Lipstick said...

Sincere and thunderous applause from me. Excellent post.

Lipstick said...

P.S. I linked to your post. Thanks for writing this.

Tricia said...

great, great post. I was so impressed with McCain's speech - it seemed his true voice was back on.I really believe he and Obama can work together.

Dragonfly said...

Hooray.