Sunday, November 23, 2008

Highlights From Friday's Pill Counting Action.

I started the workday pledged to have a new attitude. A realization snapped into my brain during the morning commute that there are kids working their ass off at college campuses across this nation hoping only to eventually have the chance to do exactly what I would be doing this day. Today, I told myself, I will honor their commitment, their hard work, and most of all their dreams. I would be a good pharmacist. I would cherish this workday. 

First question: "What's the best way to remove hair from around my anus?" 

Second question, asked in the thickest of French accents:

 "Yes.....if I uh...kiss ze woman, who has smoked ze pot.....then I take ze, how do you say? Drug test? Do I fail?"

Yes indeed, my new attitude was paying off. Thank you pharmacy students of America, for providing me with the inspiration to get through this. 

I glanced down the cleaning aisle quickly while taking a phone-in prescription and saw what appeared to be a man flossing his ass with a feather duster. It was shaping up to be an anal kinda day. 

Me: "We'll have to send a fax over to your doctor's office to see if we can get you some more refills"

Customer: "But she has insurance to cover that."

Really. I didn't realize they sold those types of insurance policies, seeing as how a policy like that would be pretty pointless. Seriously, if you're paying an insurance company a premium to cover the expense of doctor refill faxes, you're totally getting ripped off. 

In non-pharmacy related store highlights, a customer parked their car in front of the store's front door and laid on the horn. And laid on the horn. And laid.......on the horn. That horn got laid the way I get laid only in my dreams. An employee went outside to investigate and was presented with a demand to go back inside and get the customer some cigarettes. Reports indicate the customer was using an oxygen tank. 

That's way you stay in school pharmacy students of America. Because it's better to answer questions about anal hair removal than it is to fetch an emphysema sufferers' next pack of cigarettes. I think. 

As the sun set over the parking lot of my happy pill room, I took a phone call from a customer very upset that someone had stolen their medication. Friday night, stolen medication. I started to scan over the customer's profile looking for the Vicodin and/or Soma that would be too early to fill. Nope. Today was anal day:

"THE ONE THAT CAME IN THE BIG JUG! THAT'S THE ONE I NEED!!!"

"We filled that for you in April ma'am."

"I NEED IT!!!!!"

The customer was talking about a prescription for GoLytely.  For those of you not in the profession, I'll tell you that the person who came up with the name "GoLytely" did it with the sole purpose of being cruel. GoLytely is indicated "for bowel cleansing prior to colonoscopy and barium enema X-ray examination." You take it the night before your examination so there's no poop in your colon any pre-cancerous lesions can hide behind, and you will not, my friends, go lightly. Columnist Dave Barry once described his experience with a similar product:

 
I don't want to be too graphic, here, but: Have you ever seen a space shuttle launch? This is pretty much the MoviPrep experience, with you as the shuttle. There are times when you wish the commode had a seat belt. You spend several hours pretty much confined to the bathroom, spurting violently. You eliminate everything. And then, when you figure you must be totally empty, you have to drink another liter of MoviPrep, at which point, as far as I can tell, your bowels travel into the future and start eliminating food that you have not even eaten yet.


Me: "Are you having another colonoscopy ma'am?"

"NO!! I NEED IT!!! IT WAS STOLEN!!!"

"Are you maybe thinking of another medication?"

"FUCK YOU!!!! I NEED IT!!!! ARE YOU GOING TO FILL IT OR NOT????"

"No, I'm not."

"ASSHOLE!!!!.........ARE YOU LAUGHING AT ME????"

"Yes. Yes I am."

And that, my friends, was the anal coup de grâce of my anal kinda day. A day that saw thousands of pharmacy students across this land doing everything in their power to someday stand in my shoes. Pharmacy students to whom I can say only one thing: 

You are completely insane.

20 comments:

Everyday Review Guy said...

I am insane, but it's too late now!

Jake Mock said...

Oh retail, how we love you...you provide us with so much comic relief!

Anonymous said...

Sanity left a long time ago after I stepped into my pharmacy school. Plus a huge dose of apathy came with the package.

Anonymous said...

LOL.. That's awesome! I can't wait to have the power to be able to talk to customers the way you do

Anonymous said...

I am a nut job but I am a nut job that will be working for Public Health Service or in a small rural hospital.
Insurance, drive thrus, crazy customers, college drop out management and to top it off non-english speaking high school dropouts are calling the prescriptions in from the doctors' offices....haha retail is not for me. I plan on temping in retail once in while though. It can be a rewarding environment and you can help patients but too much bullshit overall.

Anonymous said...

and here i thought this would be a good website upon which to procrastinate for an upcoming pharmaceutical calculations test.

i find it hard to believe that people could get dumber than the people who wrote this textbook, but...

Anonymous said...

haha as a current 2nd year pharmacy student i absolutely love you. you make me laugh alot.

Anonymous said...

This is quite unrelated but I figured you'd appreciate it somehow...

This woman comes into my pharmacy with a bottle from another store in the same chain. So I start to refill it only for her to go, "NO! I don't want it filled here! I want you to call them - I couldn't get through before!" Ohh ho kay.

Turns out it's one of those scripts that the directions change 2 weeks after the patient starts taking it so the insurance thinks it's too soon. I try to explain to her that all she needs to do is get the pharmacist to change the day supply on the old script so that this one would go through.

Man, was this woman shaking with fury and anxiety. All while her 2 year old is screaming in his stroller. And she's yelling at ME because apparently I had something to do with it.

After she FINALLY gets what I'm trying to say 20 mins later, she starts to leave but then comes back to the counter and demands, "Ok, so if my insurance pays for a 30 day supply at a time, what happens for the months that have 31 days?! YOU GUYS ARE SHORTING MY MEDS! YOU ARE MAKING ME PAY AND SHORTING ME ON THE LONGER MONTHS!!!"

Wow. Yeah, part of me kinda died that day.

Shig said...

Friday night at 9:30 I had a patient call me. He said he normally took his pills with apple sauce, but tonight he ate it with chunky applesauce. He wanted to know if it made a difference. I'm not kidding. 15 minutes of my life telling him it was ok to eat chunky applesauce with his pills.

I feel your pain.

Anonymous said...

A couple Monday's ago, we were oddly busier than usua, but I was still smiley and as helpful to the customers as possible...even getting cough drops, benadryl and motrin for the sick people in the drive-thru.

That is I was perky and ok until, "can you get me some juice and salsa?" resonates thru my phone @ Lane One. I chuckled thinking *surely, a jokester* and said, "I'm sorry???"

"She needs juice and salsa. Can you please go get juice and salsa"

I think *wtf*...and stare blankly...after the appropriate YOUR-A-LAZY-DUMBASS pause, I said "no".

I Love you for sharing your stories. They make me feel better.

Anonymous said...

We call it "GoExplosively"

Anonymous said...

We call it "Code Brown" in the hospital... Nurses do not like to see me carrying that jug to their floor!! Thank you DrugMonkey for a good giggle!!

Anonymous said...

Drug Monkey, of all the posts you wrote that I have read, this is your best one!

I am rolling on the floor, laughing, puking, and s----ing GoLytely.

I vould kiss ze voman, pot or no pot!

Anonymous said...

It was an anal kind of day. I had an order for a mayo enema, wtf? I phoned the md and he said google it. I encourage you all to try that as I came up with recipe (don't try to dignify it as a formula) including, but not limited to olive oil, egg yolks, mustard and garlic powder. It ended with put it in the enema bag. I called the md's usual hospital and they said 1/2 sucrose, 1/2 baking soda. I went with the latter formula!

Anonymous said...

So... Drugmonkey... we're dying to know here at the rancho.

What DID you tell the caller who asked about anal depilation?

Randall Sexton said...

I plan on leaving Bangladesh after four years here due to the level of stupidity. But, but...where can I go...

DrugMonkey, Master of Pharmacy said...

Silver,

I basically punted. Said that while I was 100% sure it would be a good idea *not* to be putting any Nair anywhere around the....um...area...I really didn't have any ideas as to what *could* be used.

And honestly...I'm not sure I wanna know.

Anonymous said...

For the idiot with the hairy dirt star, tell him to get it waxed at a salon. Guys get it done all the time per my salon friend. (who knew?) One gets waxed from the pubes, boys, taint and dirt star, if going for that just born look.

For Ms GoLytely, it's hell when the anorexics go nuts. My ana cousin abused it. Why worry about a heart attack when you can poop out 5 lbs in water weight.

MoviPrep is beyond ghastly. It tastes like Lemon Endust. Seriously. I don't know what Barry ate the night before his MoviPrep. I did clear liquids 2 days before. It wasn't that bad.

Master of All Things Pharmacy,
I have pneumonia with a 102F temp. your lastest scribbling had me laughing so hard, I couldn't catch my breath.

LD 50 Rat

Anonymous said...

wow this makes me so excited to graduate...

Shalom said...

We always called it GoHeavily here.

@LD50 Rat: I wouldna thunk it myself, except that I ran into a similar situation once. Years ago, when I was floating for a chain which shall remain nameless, I was called by someone who was addicted to lactulose, of all things. She'd been getting it by the half-gallon, she'd gone through a six month supply (per the labeled dosing) in the past three months, and her Medicaid finally refused to pay for any more. I informed her of this, and she started screaming at me. No words, just screaming. Her: "Aaaagh!!" Me: "Ma'am, if you continue to shout at me I will hang up the phone." Her: "Aaaah! Aaaaagh!!" Me: {click}

A few seconds later she was back, with a whole different attitude. Her, in a sugary tone of voice: "Oh, I'm sure you can help me, because I know you're such a nice and helpful man, I can tell..." Me: "Ma'am, I have Aspergers. I can spot attempted manipulation a mile off, so don't try it." She threatened me with making herself vomit if she couldn't get her laxative; I told her I wouldn't recommend that but I couldn't stop her. That being taken care of, we got down to the business of solving her problem. I think I wound up selling her a quart of sorbitol; I figured that ought to hold her until after the weekend when she could scream at Medicaid, her physician, and/or her regular pharmacist.