Monday, March 17, 2008

I Know I've Been Picking On CVS A Lot Here Lately, But It's So Damn Easy.

First, they show that no independent is gonna outdo them when it comes to pharmacy services, even creepy pervy pharmacy services:

Baltimore County police said yesterday that they arrested a former CVS pharmacist and charged him with trading drugs for sex.

Ramon Bautista Juta, 54, of the first block of Trumpet Court in Perry Hall was charged with two counts of possession of narcotics with the intent to distribute, possession and distribution of a controlled dangerous substance, forgery of prescriptions and prostitution, police said. Juta had worked at the CVS in the first block of Compass Road in Middle River, police said.

According to authorities, a woman told them that Juta had asked her to provide sexual favors in exchange for prescription pills she used. Police said the medications included Lortab and Xanax.

Ha ha. But I think this is more indicative of what CVS has done to the profession:

A woman has been charged with impersonating a pharmacist and police say anyone who had a prescription filled by her should have their medication checked. During a routine compliance check at the CVS pharmacy at 4405 East Riverside Drive, the State Board of Pharmacy discovered what it believes to be an unlicensed person acting as a pharmacist.

CVS released this statement Thursday:"Nancy Rose McGowan gained employment as a CVS pharmacist under false pretenses through the use of forged identification documentation and by using the identity of a pharmacist licensed to practice in Texas who is not currently living in the State. By using another pharmacist’s identity, she was able to pass CVS’ extensive pre-employment screening process"


You can stop right there CVS PR hack. You see, I'm thinking the whole point of a pre-employment screening process would to be to...um.....I dunno.....maybe keep a fake pharmacist from practicing at one of your stores?

"During (The Board's) compliance check, they asked her to produce her credentials showing she was in fact a pharmacist, she was unable to do so," said Austin Police Detective Billy Petty

Yeah.....hella extensive screening process you've got there CVS. Turns out all you had to do was actually ask to see her license. Tell me again how government can't do anything, and how we should leave things to the private sector? 'Cause it was the government that caught the fake pharmacist. Leave it up to CVS and some numbnut would be passing out Coumadin in Austin to this day.

Which says a lot about what it's like to, ahem....."practice" pharmacy at a CVS. Evidently she was performing all the professional duties CVS expects from a pharmacist just fine. Because once again, CVS didn't have a problem with her until the state board showed up.

CVS. An Everyday miracle. As long as you don't ask any questions that are too hard or otherwise want your pharmacist to do anything pharmacy-school based.

Thanks to the alert reader who tipped me off to the CVS perv.

14 comments:

Nicholas said...

I'm sure Walgreens and Rite Aid have some dirt too. Uncover it DrugMonkey!!

miscblogger said...

Haha! At my pharmacy school interview mixer, I met someone who worked for that fake pharmacist. He said he could tell there was always something strange about her. Too close to fame , right?

Anonymous said...

I thought that sort of stuff was expected in Baltimore.

Romius T. said...

you realaize that I aknow feel like aI am a pharmarcist, most of readers (just keep off em) think they I am so nowI am!!!!

DrugMonkey, Master of Pharmacy said...

romius,

I type better drunk than you do.

Your readers may be interested to know I am also an amateur lumberjack.

Charlie said...

CVS has never had a problem until the state board shows up. It's CVS easier that way.

The fact the state boards don't show up is just another ordinary miracle.

===================
Phone rings

Me: "Revco in Red pharmacy, how can I help you?"

Lady: "Yes, I was wondering if you could tell me if my mother's medication is tier 1, tier 2, or tier 3."

Me: "That's really a better question for her insurance. Might I suggest calling the number on the back of her card for her insurance, or contacting her benefits office?"

Lady: "She doesn't have insurance."

Anonymous said...

Yes, I am an ordinary miracle. Yesterday I walked into the pharmacy and was told by my manager to submit an incident report. A doctor had just caught an error my boss had made and it became my problem. This is the same pharmacist who my techs tell me throw away my yellow consult with patient notes (keep vicodin <8/day, dc lipitor with new simvastatin, etc)so I often have to call the customer myself. I am a bad bad pharmacist because my verification times are a full minute behind the others. All CVS pharmacists are not
incompetent...most of us are doing the best we can. Is this the fault of CVS or have we done this to each other?

PublicationsAdviser said...

I had one of my prescriptions refilled by the fake pharmacist. Fun times.

Anonymous said...

Yet another reason I'm proud to go to the University of Maryland School of Pharmacy. Why be less when you can Bmore?

Anonymous said...

I'm sure the vast majority of them were filled correctly, the CVS system is pretty idiotproof provided all the steps are followed (and any warnings that YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG aren't ignored).

Heck, most of us techs think we are damn pharmacists sometimes.

Anonymous said...

I'm going to lose 30 pounds by September 27th without any kind of pharmaceuticals. I might need a drink when it's over though.

Wish me luck with the WMD Challenge.

Anonymous said...

Now, what about the pharmacy chain selling ranitidine 150 mg generic capsules at a higher price to Medicaid and filling with the cheaper generic tablets? The prosecution says something to the effect that the difference is comparable to the difference between Zantac and Prozac. Hahaha. Like so different. The chain's explanation was that they'd bought the drug 6 months earlier on contract for less $$ so that was why it appeared the government was being ripped off. Anyway, the chain is paying as if they're guilty. How is that a lawyer who is not a pharmacist says generic ranitidine is different than generic ranitidine, whether capsule or tablet. Say the Emperoror is naked, for Pete's sakes. There is not one iota difference between the two drugs, not therapeutically in healing ulcers or treating GI distress, not no way, no how. And, by the way, I can call myself a pharmacist as I have been registered legally 20 years.

abajaj2280 said...

It's kind of odd how the fake pharmacist got away with getting to the drugs without any other employees looking at him/her weird. I would expect some sort of quick reaction, but I guess not.

Unknown said...

Ok, I have been lurking on this for more than a few years now. I was actually married to Nancy Rose Mcgowan. We were separated for a few years when all this went down. I actually had no idea how low this woman would sink until a federal prosecutor contacted me. After she ran off with some jackass she met online playing Video games. She took as much money as she could drain out of my business and personal accounts. She disappeared with a bunch of aliases. (hard to divorce somebody with a fake name and doesn't want to be found). I finally got the divorce pushed through, after she was caught and arrested. If you are curious as to what happened she currently resides Waseca FCI, her inmate # is 77085-053 and her release date is 02-08-2015. And I never get tired of looking at her mugshot and knowing this conniving woman was brought to justice. True story.