Saturday, March 29, 2008

Angry Pharmacist? Is That You?

Local Pharmacist Ira Freeman of Key Pharmacy is in his 11th day of a 15 day fast to protest the Governors proposed 10% reduction in Medi-Cal spending, which he says will negatively affect all Medi-Cal beneficiaries and the pharmacies that serve them.

The Medi-Cal population is very vulnerable and these budget cuts put providers in a compromising position of either going out of business or turning patients away. Its a no win situation, said Freeman.


I know times are tough for you independents Angry Pharmacist, but I mean really, is this necessary? I'm sure the Governator and the legislature will work something out.

Or maybe you just got hit with a wave of customers, haven't been able to get away from the pharmacy counter for 11 days, and decided to at least get some publicity out of the deal. That would be kinda smart.

Smarter than the way the Angriest Pharmacist announced he was going on a 5 day fast once he heard the news.

Disclaimer: The story about the hunger-striking pharmacist is true. The part about it being the Angry Pharmacist is not, I just thought it would be kinda funny if it was.

And really, if it did turn out to be the case, would you be at all surprised if the Angriest Pharmacist tried to horn in on the limelight? Of course you wouldn't.

Oh, and I played editor with the first paragraph I pasted here, because the way the original press release was written hurt my eyes.

Thanks to the alert reader who sent me a tip.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

is it bad that i'm slightly jealous that another reader is leaving you tips....? lol

Anonymous said...

No No No, you have it wrong. I would be the one going on a murderous rampage. I'd of course be the martyr of pharmacists everywhere and take out Argus, Wellpoint, Caremark and the other PBM's before MediCal though.

Although a 15 day fast would be neat, does booze count during the fast? Its not food, but it sorta is.

Anonymous said...

i know you love the stooges, but when i think of iggy pop, the first thing that comes to mind is the adventures of pete and pete.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, but I just fail to see how a hunger strike will accomplish anything in this case. This isn't the age of flower power. If you want change, you have to come in loaded with some heavy duty ammunition.