Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Two Random Bizarre Bits Of Right Wing Insanity

From the website of In These Times, a magazine you should subscribe to right now:

As the GOP presidential hopefuls convened in New Hampshire for their third debate, Colorado Rep. Tom Tancredo set a high bar for subtlety. According to The Swamp, a blog operated by the Chicago Tribune, Tancredo dropped in at the same diner where adversary John McCain happened to be having lunch. Seeing an opportunity to highlight his opposition to the McCain-sponsored immigration bill now in Congress, Tancredo ordered a treat to be sent over to McCain's table: some nachos.

Wow. So if I've offended anyone with my little blog garden, I totally think a good way to get even with me would be to send me some food.

I'm more than a little opinionated you know. Surely there is someone out there who's pissed off. Nachos will do. They totally would put me in my place. As long you don't skimp on the sour cream and make sure there's plenty of hamburger on top. My ideology is left wing, but I'm not a vegetarian.

Christ I'm hungry now.

The sober, clear eyed, right wing take on the immigration issue gets better though. Back to In These Times:

For those of you who think anti-immigrant hysteria is the special preserve of cranky white men, consider the California-based Vietnamese for Fair Immigration. The group has done all sorts of public outreach, sponsored candidates and even put up a billboard in Berkeley that blared "No racist amnesty"

It turns out, however, that the group's spokesman and cofounder, who identifies himself as Tim Binh, is in fact a cranky white man named Tim Brummer. Confronted by the Oakland Tribune, Brummer argued that, though white, he eats lots of Vietnamese food and is half-Vietnamese "in my mind." Anyway, he explained, the whole name thing was his wife's idea.

After you send me those nachos I plan on becoming the official spokesperson for La Raza.

I'm still hungry. I can't wait for you. I'm going to Taco Bell.

No comments: