Monday, February 26, 2007

Today A Worried Parent Gave Me A Metaphorical Motivational Pat On The Ass. Like Those Supposedly Straight Football Players Do All The Time.

"Drugmonkey, what do I put for the strength on this prescription?" My trusty tech asked as she put a paper full of random semi-readable scrawls in front of me. No pharmacist ever likes to hear those words. They always signal trouble, and sure enough, nowhere amongst the scribbles was a strength of Zithromax mentioned.

"fuck..........Fuck.........FUCK!" Would have been a way to paraphrase the thoughts that then went through my head. "I don't have time for this shit! 30 goddamn prescriptions on the counter and a hoard of barbarians in the store that wanted their crap 20 minues ago and now I have to try and get a hold of this goddamn moron when I know damn well it's 200 per teaspoonful. No way it's not 200mg, but now everything grinds to a fucking halt." I could feel my head about to explode.

Before it did though, I saw Dad standing in the aisle in front of me. Our eyes met for a couple seconds and it told me volumes. Dad usually didn't take care of these things. Something like this was usually entrusted to Mom, who for some reason couldn't deal with it today, so it was up to Dad, and Dad was nervous. What to me was just an annoying inconvenient little fuck up that I wished would grow wings and fly away was his sick daughter that he would move heaven and earth to make well again. It wasn't up to him though, he had to put his daughter in the hands of others, one of which was me. Dad was nervous. I saw all that in a few seconds of eye contact, and it kept my head from exploding.

"Is there something wrong?" asked Dad. I've mentioned before how the pharmacy where I work is laid out like a Subway restaurant.

"Nothing we can't take care of" I said. "We just need to clarify the strength of your medicine with the doctor. It won't take long once we can get him on the phone"

Of course this only served to scare the crap out of Dad. He listened intently as I waded through first a voice mail, than an answering service, then another call to the covering after hours physician. I let him give me his daughters weight so he could feel like he was contributing something towards the problem's solution. There was no way it was anything other than 200mg, and that's the answer I coached out of the on-call doc when I got him on the line.

I did nothing really. About anyone who's literate could have looked over the Zithromax package insert and figured out the right dose. Dad gave me a sincere "thanks" as he started out the door, but I should have been the one thanking him. The look on his face once he was comfortable the correct prescription was being given to his daughter was the best pep talk I've had in years.

Kinda like when those football players pat each other on the ass. Without the homosexual undertones.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

So even if you have a dose, you still have to clarify the concentration in the retail world, huh? I would go insane. Thank God for hospital pharmacy. You deserve to make more money than me.

Groupie A

DrugMonkey, Master of Pharmacy said...

yup.....& it's when doctor dumbass doesn't realize he's not writing chart orders things like this happen.

Is your hospital hiring?

Unknown said...

Thank you.

That is why the DrugMonkey is the best and most caring pharmacist. Every day I learn something very important.

The DrugMonkey actually cares and helps his customers when warranted. And helping a child is always so important. One little mistake can be so devastating.

Thanks.

Mother Jones RN said...

I'd pat you on the butt, however that might be viewed as sexual harassment, or in my case, as an old woman copping a feel:-) So, I'll just have to give you a hug. Thanks for that "feel good" story.

MJ

DrugMonkey, Master of Pharmacy said...

It's only sexual harassment if the harassee is offended Mother Jones.....cop away......:)

As for you Kirby. While everything you write is 100% true, your key words are "when warranted," which is much less frequently than you might think. I can go days without helping or caring....

Anonymous said...

C'mon,

You know Dad wanted you.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I just happened to come accross your blog. Wow, what you did was great. I'm actually taking a course in pharmacy now, and all the time, our lecturers remind us to communicate and open up to patients, for the benefit of the patients themselves! You did the right thing =)