Thursday, February 22, 2007

Give Us This Night Our Daily Freaks.

Highlights from today's pill counting action:

Customer: "What's This?"

Me: "It's a sign about a new Medi-Cal policy. They're assigning new numbers to people so it's important to make sure you bring in your latest card the next time you get a prescription"

Customer: "What does that mean?"

Me: "Make sure you have your card with you when you get your prescription filled"

Customer: "What?"

Me: "Mrs. Smith, do you have Medi-Cal?"

Customer: "No."

Me: "Then the sign is nothing you need to worry about."

Customer: "Should I call my husband?"

Word has reached the Drugmonkey late tonight that the state has put off the implementation of regulations requiring the use of those new Medi-Cal numbers. I have a feeling the decision may have had something to do with conversations that went the way that one did.

Later that afternoon a customer stopped in front of me. The pharmacy where I work is laid out a lot like a Subway sandwich shop, my employer realizing that the best way to ensure prescription accuracy is to make it as easy as possible to interrupt the person filling your prescription. The lady was like 3 feet in front of me, at eye level, staring.

Me, noticing a bit of an awkward moment here: "Hello."

Before I tell you what happened next, I want to reiterate the lady was standing close to me, and that the timing of her smile would seem to indicate that she had heard me greet her.

The woman then slowly.......very slowly..... reached up with her hand, ever so gently moving it forward with all the deliberateness of a brain surgeon. When her hand broke through some imaginary plane, she said to me:

"Oh, I thought you were behind glass."

The cleanest glass in the world evidently. Magic clean glass that provides no barrier to sound. My mother is proud of the work I do for some reason.

Release the scotch.....

3 comments:

Mother Jones RN said...

Bottoms up, Sweetie. Like I've said before, I don't know how you do your job without going stark raving mad. Oh wait a minute, is that where the scotch comes in?

MJ

DrugMonkey, Master of Pharmacy said...

That's exactly where the scotch comes in my dear. Interesting, as I have always said that nursing is the one gig in health care that I would dread more than my own.

philskaren said...

my company thinks that the person counting the pills should be responsible for answering the phone (b/c they are the only ones not kissing a customer's behind)

1,2,3, phone, 1,2,3, phone, 1,2,3 phone......