Friday, October 06, 2006

Sometimes Jesus Just Loves You A Little Bit.

So I'm being a good pharmacist for some reason today, and noticing that the lady's new thyroid prescription is different from the dose she's been taking for the last 5 years, I make a note to mention it when she picks it up. This is what a pharmacist in the 21st century is supposed to be doing, being proactive in looking for mistakes. A generation ago, I would have been expected to keep my mouth shut and just put the damn pills in a bag. Free love, a real anti-war movement, and less contact with customers. Just three of the reasons I was born 20 years too late, but I digress.

So thyroid woman comes to the counter and I say something like "looks like your dose has gone down a little bit from the last time you've had these filled." She thinks I'm being friendly. What I'm really doing is watching her face for signs of surprise. Sadly, this is what I got instead:

"Oh yes, it's just the most wonderful thing. I prayed and prayed to Jesus and he answered me like I always knew he would."


OK.......so, Jesus heard this lady's prayers, and instead of CURING her, he decides to change her condition just enough that she requires 0.000137 of a gram of thyroid replacement hormone a day instead of 0.000150 of a gram. She'll still have to take a pill every day, with the same consequences if she misses a dose or stops therapy. Long term prognosis? Same. Price of her prescription? Same. As a matter of fact, if her doctor hadn't been on top of things and noticed the change in her condition, she could have easily remained on a dose that was now too high for her, so really you could say that Jesus needlessly put this woman's health at risk.

Lesson learned for me. Next time I swear I'm just keeping my mouth shut and putting the damn pills in the bag.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Its amazing what we learn.

monster said...

YAY JESUS! :)