Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Hey! I Came Up With Something Else! Which Means This Totally Is A "Does This Only Happen To Me?" Series Now.

So, you ever get a numbnut customer in front of you, pointing to some patch of skin, or to their eye or something, and saying something like, "WHAT CAN I DO ABOUT THIS?" and you look at whatever they're pointing to, and it looks as normal as any other part of them?

This happens to me a lot, and I'm not sure if it's a problem with people's self-image, or a problem like I have a total lack of perception.

I'll usually just say something like "Does it itch?" to try and get a handle on what's going through their brain. People like it better when their pharmacist says something like "Does it itch?" as opposed to "You look just fine to me."

Not to mention about 60% of the time it does turn out to itch.

7 comments:

red_one said...

No, not just you ... I haven't tried asking if it itches .... I usually ask 'ah so where am I looking?' and it turns out that their sinuses hurt or something crazy inside. And I'm left thinking, 'yeah I could totally tell that by looking at the one spot!?!'.

Heather said...

Now every time I'm in a conversation with someone talking about *anything* in their life I'm going to think to myself, "Does it itch?"

Thanks, DM.

Anonymous said...

So, just telling them to tack some Tylenol doesn't work? I figure that's a pretty good answer to everything!

Anonymous said...

Drugmonkey, you've taught me more than the majority of my professors.

Madam Z said...

Just be glad they don't bring you their stool sample to be analyzed. Or will that be episode 4 in the series?

Jo said...

Oh, dear sweet leaping Jesus. You haven't had fun until somebody shows you something at a party ("You're a nurse? Great! What's this?"). Or, as happened to me a few years ago, attempts to drop trou in public so I could look at some bumps that had been bothering him.

Season said...

At my last pharmacy, our counseling area was around a corner. (I guess to be more private.) We had a bipolar patient ask to speak to the pharmacist, when she got back there he had dropped his pants to show her something on his bum. She just kept saying "This is why I didn't go to medical school."