Monday, June 16, 2008

The American Pharmacists Association Is Looking For A New CEO. Which They Pretend Is Important To Pharmacists For Some Reason.

I had actually forgotten The American Pharmacists Association exists, until I saw this story in Drug Topics while taking a dump at the store the other day. I'm pretty sure the last time APhA crossed my brain was some time in college, when our student chapter was universally recognized as a dweeb magnet whose only useful function was keeping the pencil-necked nerds away from the rest of us.

I should be clear though, when I say nerds, I don't mean people who were really smart and would go on to accomplish real things in the real world. Those kind of people never joined APhA. You know the kid who sits in the front row of every class and thinks they are better than everyone else because they raise their hand at every question, get it wrong, and thereby necessitate a 10 minute diversion from the planned lecture as the professor struggles to get something into their pointy little head?

That kid would be total APhA material.

They also specialized in having meetings where they would talk at great length about things like whether a pharmacy technician could ask a customer if they would like the pharmacist to go over their medicine with them, or if the offer had to actually be made by the pharmacist. I am not kidding you. They would talk about this for hours, and get quite worked up about it. I know because I had to go to APhA meetings while I was a pledge in my fraternity. My fraternity wasn't concerned about advancing the profession mind you, the forced attendance was part of the hazing process.

At any rate, it would seem that APhA is still around, and that they're in the market for a new leader. According to the article:

APhA began the process by assembling a committee to establish the key criteria for selecting a new CEO. "APhA spent a lot of time trying to build consensus on the criteria," he said.

I have no problem believing that. That they spent a lot of time trying to build consensus on the criteria. Here's what they came up with:

  • Must be a pharmacist as required by the APhA bylaws.
  • Must be an APhA member.
  • Must be a US citizen.
  • Must have demonstrated prior or current leadership abilities.
  • Must be able to pass a government background check.

I'm glad they put in that part about the government background check. It makes me feel all safe and stuff to know an Al-Qaeda operative won't be the next CEO of APhA.

I'm also glad to find out that as soon as I join their little talking club, I will be eligible for immediate consideration. That really shows how well spent all the time was they put in to come up with their criteria.

So yeah, it's been about 18 years since APhA last popped up on my radar screen, and after reading this, I fully expect it to be another 18 or so before they pop up again.

I do feel like tracking down the nearest APhA member and giving them a wedgie right now though.

Dweebs.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

True, true words. The tragedy is that many of these weenies go on to become "thought-leaders" in pharmacy while having no idea how to run a pharmacy or take care of a patient. These parasitic fools and their like in medicine, nursing, etc., are largely responsible for the wreck that is American healthcare today.

Anonymous said...

What Frat? :)

Dive-Ho said...

OMG Drug Monkey...After reading this I can only assume you were a Kappa Psi at ONU. This is not adding up with what I am reading about your hotness scale...I grew up in central Ohio, graduated from ONU, and - like you - got the hell out of there. If memory serves me correctly, guys at ONU who were KY's (with rare exception) averaged about a 2 on the hotness scale...I should know this, I married one of the rare hot ones - dumbest things I EVER did. So tell us Drug Monkey...are you fibbing about the hotness scale????

Anonymous said...

I totally would have guessed a KY too--I was going to ask the same thing! You just seem a little too bad-ass to be a Phi Delt... no offense to anyone. And the only reason people really go to those meetings? Free pizza and breadsticks--sometimes we just don't feel like cooking!

Anonymous said...

I sat front and center and raised my hand a lot. I'm not in Apha, but I like to participate cause it helps me pay attention to the boring ass lectures. I don't think I'm better than anyone... except that bitch in my class with herpes... way better than her

Anonymous said...

Come ON drugmonkey, you must be a phi delt! The KY's were dweebs at my pharmacy school. My "sisters" had lots of fun with the phi delt guys;)

Keith said...

APhA is a totally worthless organization, and I have written them telling them. I thought they needed to know how worthless they are to pharmacists. After all, they don't seem to have a clue, but think they are so wonderful and important.

DrugMonkey, Master of Pharmacy said...

I will say only this:

I am smoking hot.

And if I just told you which frat, it would ruin all this speculative fun now, wouldn't it?

I am hot though.

Anonymous said...

C'mon now, drugmonkey, these are the "idea men", the "visionaries."
Who else would we have to produce those big, thick binders of useless information? How would we keep the paper recycling plants in business?

Pharmgirl said...

I'm gonna be the oddball and say you're one of the rarest of the rare: a man who joined Kappa Epsilon. Now THOSE guys are hot. :) (And yes, they do exist.)

Heather said...

I don't know (and don't care) about frats and the like- but I do LOATHE "That Kid."

The one who raises their hand to say something that could possibly be considered relevant, but was only said to point out that they have some "I use wikipedia" knowledge about a topic. There's a group on facebook called "Put your fucking hand down in lecture, no one cares." I couldn't have said it better myself. If you're trying to score points with your classmates, you are doing exactly the opposite. If you're trying to score points with your prof, GO TO OFFICE HOURS. Your need for relentless approval is pathetic and that's not what my tuition is for. Get a therapist already.

Anonymous said...

But....they gave me a free shotglass! I couldn't turn that down!

Actually, a good bit of the students I know in APhA really are the really smart ones who will go on to accomplish real things in the real world.