Sunday, December 21, 2008

I Fought The Mall And The Mall Won. She Fought The Mall And Kicked Its Ass.

So, yeah, I work at the mall. I am not proud of this. As a matter of fact, it grates my ass from the moment I pull into the mall and see that goddamn water fountain of theirs next to the street. I live in an area of chronic water shortage where an average person can fight for years to put in a second bathroom and the mall thinks it's a great thing to shoot water around for the hell of it all day long. Someday I'm gonna put so much dish soap in that water fountain it will be both ruined and squeaky clean for at least 20 years.

It's more than water waste that puts the burr up my butt though. The mall as an institution is a monument to the cheap crap made in China sell your soul to corporate control complex that rules us. Your definition of what is beautiful comes from Victoria's Secret. Your good taste from the Pottery Barn. Your culture from the cineplex down at the south end. And if your money comes from the mall, God have mercy on your soul, because you will be broken before a check is ever issued. Take a good look at the people behind the counter at your favorite store at the mall my friends. They're either high school kids or they are broken.

And if any of this starts to bother you, that's when you come down to the north end of the mall and see me.  To get the chemicals that will make you forget all about it. Unless you're me. They don't sell my brand of scotch at the mall. 

The lady at the pizza place seemed to be an exception though. I could never put my finger on it, but she definitely wasn't broken. Her smile always seemed so........real. It was evident that she lived within the mall culture but was not of it. I sensed something. I totally sensed something, but could never quite tell what it was. 

Until last week. When I read in the local alterna-weekly about the lady who used to work at the pizza place's CD release party. I went. I have no friends mind you, and I hate going to places by myself. But I went because I desperately wanted her to be good. I wanted so much for the mall to finally lose a round. 

The mall lost a round tonight my friends. I am a music snob, and as such I would be unable to tell you she was good  if she was not. She made my ears happy for a little over an hour this night, and a little bit of my soul happy for a good deal longer than that. Because the mall lost one. And I didn't have to break out the dish soap. It's not making contact with the lady who sweeps up the cigarette butts, but It'll make for an OK Christmas this year.  

In your face mall.
  

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

im sorry this has nothing to do with your post but this happened last night at work:
a woman comes in at 5:55 ... 5 min before we close at 6 with a lortab rx. she has MEDICAID. i go to check her out at 6:10.
me: it'll be 50 cents.
her: 50 cents?! i didnt know my insurance was that good.

true story.
i had to suppress the giggle that was bubbling within.

Anonymous said...

I'm a music snob too. Your review of the unidentified artist and her CD material has piqued my interest. Any chance there will be a "how to find and/or buy her CD" link posted? A new entry for the playlist of DrugMonkey Radio, perhaps??

I used to be a Kmart pharmacist and it was in a mall. The store manager locked up the printer ribbons for our label printer so that we wouldn't change them too soon even though old people couldn't read the print anymore. I think we need to support those who find a way to escape.

DrugMonkey, Master of Pharmacy said...

Anonymous,

I really, really, wanted to plug this woman in my post (I mean promote her you perverts) but right now, she's still pretty much a local phenomenon, which means the second I mention her name, everyone knows who the disgruntled pharmacist that works at the mall with the water fountain is, which leads to the possibility of me dealing with adoring stalkers and perhaps getting fired from the job that annoys me.

Which would be a bad thing for some reason.

Drop me a line in the e-mail. I'll point you to her.....

Anonymous said...

"Feeling lucky?" = clever. I think I get extra points because it's at the very top of the page... Unless you just forgot to move it to a spot you preferred.

And from the looks of your twitter, it would appear that you finally scored a fresh bottle. Congrats.

Anonymous said...

I bet she's hot!!