Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Dear Employer, I Wonder If You've Noticed Something......

With all your charts and graphs, your computerized doo-dads that measure how long it takes us to get a prescription out the door (not that you're putting any pressure on us to work more quickly at the expense of patient safety you say) or how long a caller is left on hold, I wonder if you've picked up on a very simple statistic:

The more you cut our tech hours, the more often we are out of stock on something. Have you noticed that? And if you have, which I doubt, have you ever wondered why? The answer's simple really. When you cut our tech hours there are fewer people around to do the same amount of work. That part I bet you know. Which means there are times during the day when it is impossible to meet both your workload expectations and my professional responsibilities to the people who have entrusted me with their health. Guess who wins when you set up that conflict employer? Hint. Not you. Here's how it works:

All hell is breaking loose at the pharmacy counter. People as far as the eye can see, the fax machine a whirring, the five phone lines for three pharmacy employees ringing off the hook. Your wet dream. I start working the in window. The next customer in line is a mall rat with a prescription for the acne med Duac. 

"I need this as soon as possible" 

"I'm so sorry, I don't seem to have this on the shelf, the best I can do would be to order it for you tomorrow"

You just lost $200 employer. The next man in line just got out of the hospital. He's hobbling around on some sort of wacky-looking crutches. His painkiller will cost around $15 and will be out in about 20 minutes. 

He'll also leave knowing to watch out for drowsiness and to stay away from the over the counter Tylenol while he's taking that painkiller. Things I am obligated to tell him but never would have been able to had I tried to squeeze in the mall rat with the zits.

Do you get it now employer? Cut my tech hours and I start playing triage, and when I start playing triage, you won't like the results, because medical needs of humans trump financial needs of corporations.

You may say you're doing what you have to do to remain financially viable. I say that's not my problem. My suggestion to you would be to grow a pair of testicles and take it up with the insurance companies that put so little value on my professional obligations. 

Oh, and one more thing. It seems that without me saying a word to her, my keystone tech has picked up on what I'm doing. She's developed a habit, when all hell is breaking loose the way you know all hell will break loose when you cut our help, of coming over and asking me if we have something in stock when she takes a new prescription. She's a smart one that keystone tech. 

You cannot cut your way to prosperity employer. That's been an eternal truism that unsuccessful businesses have failed to learn over and over again through the decades, but you cut my tech hours again...... and I'll make damn sure that point gets driven home to you. You hired a professional when you hired me employer, not a salesman. I know you don't want it that way, but the sooner you learn that's the way it has to be, the sooner you can both make money and contribute to the health of our community. 

I'm not hopeful.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny, when people from out of town come in to buy the same pseudoephedrine product with the same line ("Sudafed 12-hour Relief please"), I'm also out of stock.

I triage by making non-urgent scripts wait longer. In the midwest the weather gets bad, and we have a lot of poor patients without reliable transportation, so I won't necessarily send them somewhere else.

But that guy with the black eye and the road rash on his face? He's getting his hydrocodone in 10 minutes, and you're just gonna have to sit tight on your metoprolol, guy.

Anonymous said...

Its christmas here, its hell. We have myself, a tech and a counter assisatant, usually that is enough for our 300 items a day, but at christmas when it hits 600 a day, it becomes a nightmare. I work for a multiple, so am not allowed to employ extra help or give overtime unless i give written request. We are expected to work faster and faster, regardless of what comes through the door it must be done. or someone will complain and my boss will come to discipline me. We get by, just. I can say with all honesty, and a lot of saddness that, knowing the pressures we are forced to work under at christmas, I would not feel safe as a patient using a pharmacy. But what do our head office do? ring up to check we have got the new sales lines on the shelves for the after christmas rush.

screw that, much rather get it in the neck for putting sales out a day late than someone dieing, me getting sued, losing my registration etc.

Unknown said...

hey drugmonkey,

i just wanted to ask you something about pharmacy in US, unrelated to this post. i'm a pharmacist in the UK and was thinking of making the move to the US. how easy is it currently to find jobs in hospital vs community pharmacy? rates of pay? or does it depend upon which state you're in. is community pharmacy in the US as mercernary as they make it out in the media? finally, do you know what pharmacy is like in canada? if you do, how does it compare to US?

if you have time to respond, i'd be grateful...

Merry Christmas :)

Từ Thanh Giác said...

I love this blog. It reminds me why I left pharmacy many years ago. When I found myself working for Thrifty I decided that it was time to enter a field where I could use use my education. I make less money but I never have been so happy. I actually enjoy going to work every day.
When I worked as a pharmacist this is how I felt going to work every day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SkeGC-5gXQ

Anonymous said...

What is it with this vendetta against people who seek perfect skin? I think you're just greedy. Not everyone can have naturally perfect skin like you, DrugMonkey.

In all seriousness, though, I like the idea, and I like that your Keystone Tech picked up on your signals.

Anonymous said...

I have begun to wonder, if the hospital I work at notices that the less staff they give us, the more time it takes for patients to get necessary IV medication.

They give us decreased staff, at a time of the year when the hospital seems to get busier, citing BS reasons like "Decreased productivity" for not giving us the staff we need.

I really wonder if patients dying is really worth the tiny amount that they would have to put out to add an extra tech or two. I mean, the amount of money they could save on lawsuits alone would more then make up for the tech salaries, considering that techs are paid just slightly more then the janitorial staff...

Anonymous said...

merry christmas little drug monkey may your stocking overflow with scotch...little smallminded people in cubicles crunching numbers till the bottomline looks good....it's all bs and the worst part is these people probably all have mba's which stands got minmal brain activity

Anonymous said...

Amen, and Amen.

Từ Thanh Giác said...

Here is how a pharmacist working in the environment field deals with the Christmas rush on the job. On December 24 my boss took the team out for lunch. After lunch the CEO gave us rest of the day off, with pay. He told us to take the 26th off as well with pay. I will use my extra time off to get my prescriptions filled.

Anonymous said...

Pwnt!

Anonymous said...

Stavros69 - OMG what field are you working in???