Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Apparently Pharmacy Has A Code Of Ethics. Who Knew?

Not me. But there it was in black and white in the latest issue of the trade magazine Drug Topics. The code of ethics by the way, was by far the most interesting thing in that rag, Jim Plagakis being the exception that proves the rule. Why Jim continues to do the clowns that think we'd be interested to read about drugstores in the suburbs on Atlanta putting in generators and publishes statements like "Tylenol was one of the top acetaminophen products suggested" the favor of writing for them baffles me. 

Name another acetaminophen product. 

Quick. C'mon. No Googling. 

See my point? Drug Topics hurts my eyes, and if it weren't for Jim Plagakis and the curiosity aroused by seeing an alleged code of ethics that governs my profession, I might have had to try to gouge them out this Christmas Eve to stop the pain. 

Evidently The Code of Ethics for Pharmacists was adopted by the American Pharmaceutical Association in 1994. The involvement of APhA in the code of ethics goes a long way towards explaining why no one has ever heard of it. 

Name an accomplishment of APhA

This time you don't have to be quick, and you can use the Google all you want. See my point? But, since some geeks most likely spent the better part of a week debating what should go into this code of ethics, then another day or two deciding if the bullet points should be marked with little dots or a dash-like symbol, I figured I might as well see how I stacked up. It was Christmas Eve remember, which means there wasn't much else to do in the happy pill room. 

- A pharmacist respects the covenantal relationship between the patient and pharmacist. 

What? Covenantal? That's Jesus talk. Forget that. Unless APhA is trying to say something like my customers should worship me. I could totally respect that, and it would be the most sensible thing to come out of APhA's mouth in years. 

- A pharmacist promotes the good of every patient in a caring, compassionate, and confidential manner. 

Confidential? Check. Caring and compassionate? Mmmmm....not so much. I'll make sure your prescription gets filled correctly, and if you have questions I'll do my best to get the answers through your pointy little head, but most of the time, if you decide to walk out the front door of my store and take a flying leap off a cliff, I wouldn't give it a second thought.  Yeah, I think caring's definitely off the list. 

- A pharmacist respects the autonomy and dignity of each patient. 

Autonomy = Your right to decide to have your prescription filled somewhere else. Yeah, I totally respect that. 

Dignity? Yet to be tested on that one. As soon as I get a customer with some dignity I'll let you know how it turns out. 

- A pharmacist acts with honesty and integrity in professional relationships. 

Check. There's no need for me to rip you off or lie to you any more than Big Pharma already does. 

- A pharmacist maintains professional competence. 

Why exactly did this one make the list? We have to be told we should make an effort to know what we're doing? Sigh. Moving on....

- A pharmacist respects the values and abilities of colleagues and other health professionals. 

Nope. Because the values of Lloyd Duplantis, of Gray, Louisiana do not belong in our profession, and deserve no respect. 

As far as other health professionals,  I will respect the ability of a Physician's Assistant to be able to write a prescription that makes sense just as soon as I see a prescription from a Physician's Assistant that does. 

- A pharmacist serves individual, community, and societal needs. 

I need to get laid right now. That's my individual need. So according to APhA, there's another pharmacist out there that will serve that. Sweet. 

- A pharmacist seeks justice in the distribution of health resources. 

OK, now I feel bad. I've been mocking the APhA throughout this whole post and then they have to go and spring this one on me at the end. If only there were any justice in the distribution of health resources. If APhA magically became able to be effective at something, this is what I would pick for APhA to actually be able to do. 

Unfortunately it took them 14 years to make me aware they consider me to be a woefully ethically challenged pharmacist.  I expect they'll write in sometime in 2022 and tell me I should have used little dots to mark their bullet points. 

APhA sucks. 

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, just want you to know that I appreciate your blog.
And, I hope you get laid this holiday season!

Anonymous said...

- A pharmacist maintains professional competence.

This is so drug topics can sell more of their CE credits.

Wheres the 'A pharmacist shall be reimbursed a fair fee' or 'A pharmacist should not have to compromise safety because some suit-wearing dildo non-pharmacist manager wants more rx's/hr'

But yeah, APhA'ers is too busy waving their penis at each other and getting their picture taken to actually do any good. I really do wish they would address the concerns of people such as us vs catering to the 'clinical' dillholes and 'advancing the profession'.

There are 3 types of people who worship APhA.
- Students (who dont know what 'real' life is, and havent had their faith in humanity crushed by the public yet)
- Old Retired Pharmacists (who wish they were students again and who are bored)
- Professors (who couldn't cut it in retail)

Anonymous said...

seeks justice in the distribution of health resources? sounds like some radical left wing plot

The little tech that does... said...

Merry Christmas Drugmonkey!

Anonymous said...

LOL.. I hope you find a pharmacist to fulfill your needs. I married a pharmacist, so we both fulfill our obligations

Từ Thanh Giác said...

- A pharmacist respects the values and abilities of colleagues and other health professionals.

I was filling 300 prescriptions a day at a clinic that was taken over by Kaiser. The Kaiser doctors replace me with a nurse. The board of pharmacy ruled that it was perfectly legal since the doctors were dispensing to their own patients and not the general public. I am sorry but I will not respect the values of my colleagues and other health professionals until they respect me.

Anonymous said...

Hey DrugMonkey,

Did you know that APhA's Code of Ethics in 1952 said,

"The Pharmacist does not discuss the therapeutic effects or composition of a prescription with a patient. When such questions are asked he suggests that the qualified practitioner [i.e. physician or dentist] is the proper person with whom such matters should be discussed."

I found this stated in the article "The Continuing
Evolution of American
Pharmacy Practice,
1952–2002" in the JAPhA vol 42 number 1.

The only reason I am a member of APhA is because our dean paid for all our memberships for our first year of pharmacy school (with our 30k a year pharmacy tuition, no doubt), I will likely let that membership lapse for my second year of pharmacy school. I'll get my required National Association meeting done with San Antonio APhA meeting - yes, in order to graduate we must attend a certain combination of national, regional and local association meetings. So the school kinda forces us to embrace organizations like APhA...

Anonymous said...

Heyyyy, Justin. Make the break. Refuse the status quo. Don't 'blame' the pharmacy school or some other such organization for your choices...mention what your class is required to do, and go on...to attend your local pharmacy association, or check out the Pharmacy Alliance.

Sure, my county pharmacy association has a lot of old-timey indy folks as well as a variety of other practices represented, e.g. professors, law guys, retail, niche-type, etc. but it's made up of pharmacists that practice in my area--good for consensus building and helping the other members see MY point of view.

I joined national organizations while in school to get discounts on texts and references, and also the ASHP group did sponsor organizing clinical residencies, but once I was out of school the decision to join the next organization with national affiliations was based on sponsorship of seminars I was interested in attending; Society of Critical Care Medicine.

Anonymous said...

"Sorry for the alien gibberish post. Blame Verizon"

LOL, I thought that was you reaction to trader joe's beign out of your scotch

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, the bright-eyed P1's will have to face this reality sooner or later.

I just use the organization as an excuse for drinking and having fun with friends/classmates or meeting more potential drinking buddies.

It's also best to see if the organization or the school is willing to cover costs by being in the organization (otherwise cut your losses and run). Some organizations will work with you, but others are just a resume/CV fillers.

Megan said...

I name Percogesic! (no Googling). Granted it has some random antihistamine in it I can't remember as well, but it is a acetaminophen product. I love me some of that stuff when I can't sleep.