Tuesday, November 13, 2007

I Live With The Most Thoughtful, Caring, And Kind Person On God's Green Earth.

Although the Earth is predominately blue. That's beside the point. What's important is the surprise package.

I saw it by the front door on my way to work. Actually I almost tripped over it. My first thought was that Mom had sent her baby boy Christmas goodies a little early. Mom can be like that. She never did trust the mail. My sister works at the Post Office.

Confirmation would have to wait though. I have the habit of making it to the happy pill room with not a second to spare down to an art. I slid the package inside the door where it was subjected to a full inspection from my feline second in command. Her ultimate lack of interest told me there was nothing edible inside. Off to the pharmacy to get retarded.

It haunted me all day though, this package. It was from Amazon, and my Mom definitely still lives in the pre-Amazon age. My sisters hate me. I really don't have any friends. I hoped it wasn't a bomb. My cat doesn't really have the skills or the thumbs required to diffuse explosives.

I skipped my usual after work date with Jack In The Box. I could count on Jack to always be there. Right now the suspense was killing me.

The box was right where I left it. I tore into it with penknife and found........"The Bass Tab White Pages." Bass Tabs are a way to record song information in a way helpful to those of us who can't read music. This was the best book ever. A thousand pages of bass tabs. I almost wept with joy.

But......the number of people who know that I pick up the bass and make noise with it on occasion is very small. Less than 5 probably.

I don't play the bass. I pick it up and make noise with it. It's an important distinction.

There was more. A copy of "Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band Live At Hammersmith Odeon, London 1975" My God. Just the other day I had heard a bit of this at Borders and had been amazed at the quality of the recording. Live albums from the 70's usually sound like they've been recorded on an 8-track. Not this one. And they managed to get it on CD without it sounding all digitally crappy.

But wait. Those thoughts had never traveled outside my head. I must be dealing with a stalker. Some sort of all-powerful omnipotent super stalker.

It didn't matter. The mind reading stalker was very generous and had a knack for picking out very nice gifts. I decided I would marry this stalker the moment they left me the slightest clue as to their identity. I looked at the packing slip and saw.......

My own name. And that the order was charged to my own credit card. I had no memory. I suspect the involvement of scotch. I send myself the best surprise packages, God I love me. And I really see no reason this night that I should stop drinking. I am going to pour some scotch and make some noise with the bass now.

11 comments:

Pharmer Jane said...

awesome surprise, even if you were the one who sent it.

I have a thing for bass players...even if you don't play and just make noise. (My hubby used to play bass). Bang away, drugmonkey!

LD50 Rat said...

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Wheeze!

That's the best drunk shopping story I've heard in a while.

Thrash away Master of the Pharmacy Universe! Enjoy listening to Bruce.

At least you have good taste in gifts. Could have bought yourself a box of sex toys, or 1,000 catnipped, fur covered mice for your cats.

Rat

Appleo Blush said...

HAHHAHA aww that's kinda funny but sad but funny still :P

Romius T. said...

That story is too perfect.

joybeeme78 said...

Good choice of drunken internet shopping. My last episode was a few magazine subscriptions. Never knew Readers Digest was so interesting......

Lola Cherry Cola said...

Ah well, at least it was a nice surprise. Drunken shopping is great so long as good presents are picked out.

Mother Jones RN said...

Drunk shopping is better than drunk sex. The packages are nice surprises, and you don't have to guess who you've been sleeping with.

MJ

Anonymous said...

Speak for yourself Mother Jones! There's no interest on a drunken hook-up - have you seen some of the rates on the credit cards these days?!

;)

Big 'N Tasty RPH said...

I like to "Time Travel" shop too! I get the best stuff for myself. My last Patron tequila endeavor landed me a sweet set of "30 Days of Night" comics and a smoking hot pair of heels to go out in. I love alcohol and the many happy surprises that come from it. Sadly, my ever-hardening liver hates me....and Jack in the Box Jalapeno Poppers are delicious poison!

Anonymous said...

man....i feel like a fool....laughing giggling to myself. i've done the SAME damned thing!

that was GREAT. Man I needed a laugh. (oh and the music is helping the case)

Anonymous said...

:) Bruce before the supermodel? And your noisy bass-playing? And scotch?


Sounds about right.

Mind reading stalker? hmm...