Tuesday, November 13, 2007

A Catholic Priest Runs A Project Called Homeboy Industries. A Fact That Reads Like A Joke.

There really is a Homeboy Industries. Go here to get the scoop. I had to learn more, so I interviewed founder Rev. Gregory Boyle in my imagination.

"What was really exciting in the beginning was the tremendous support we found from within the church for this idea" said Boyle only in my mind. "We literally had priests, bishops, and cardinals from all over the world asking how they could help. Some days we would show up first thing in the morning and find 4 or 5 men of the cloth at our front door eager to roll up their sleeves and get their hands dirty."

Boyle did acknowledge disappointment that many volunteers leave after learning that they do not get to actually take a boy home with them.

"We're still very excited about the financial support provided by Michael Jackson however" said Boyle not in real life. "We're still not quite sure how he found us, or why he keeps asking for pictures of our clients......odd really"

Boyle was then silent for a few moments, a look of deep ponderance on his face. Suddenly his expression changed.

"Oh my" He didn't say. "Maybe it has something to do with that name."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like to picture Homeboy Industries as a drive-thru church...

"Yes, I'd like a 10-year old homeboy to go?"

"Would you like to biggie size that and get a 12-year old homeboy for only 78 cents more?"

"You know it! Oh, and please make my Puerto Rican?"

"A 12-year old homeboy combo with Latin flavoring to go - please drive up!"

I think I'm on to something here......