Tuesday, September 04, 2007

The Depressed Child Is So 1990's

I remember as a young Drugmonkey extern my amazement when I saw the mental health ward of the hospital to which I had been assigned. This was nothing like the state institution in my previous rotation, with it's leaky pipes, drafty windows, and underpadded rubber room that made the screams of the violently mentally ill clearly audible to those of us in the pharmacy below trying to fill carts. What I saw in front of me today was a clean, new, modern apartment with all the amenities life in 1991 could offer. I seriously considered for a second trying to convince one of the doctors I was bipolar so I could finally get out of my parents house and into one of these prime cribs.

"It has to do with insurance" My preceptor told me. "A lot of plans are very lucrative for short term inpatient mental health care" and the hospital has decided to compete for these patients."

He also told me that in his opinion, financial pressures were leading to overdiagnosis of mental health problems in children and adolescents.

Well times certainly have changed. No one talks about lucrative heath insurance plans in 2007. Not to mention the focus on professionalism and integrity throughout our reformed health care system completely ensures that financial pressures in no way shape the type of medical care a patient receives today. Proof comes in Today's New York Times:


The number of American children and adolescents treated for bipolar disorder increased 40-fold from 1994 to 2003, researchers report today in the most comprehensive study of the controversial diagnosis.

Experts say the number has almost certainly risen further since 2003.


Holy Crap! We must be in the middle of a friggin bipolar pandemic!!!! I mean, there's no way financial pressures would have anything to do with this in today's reformed health care system.

The spread of the diagnosis is a boon to drug makers, some psychiatrists point out, because treatments typically include medications that can be three to five times more expensive than those for other disorders like depression or anxiety.


Oh, I forgot. The health care system hasn't been reformed.

Most children who qualify for the diagnosis do not proceed to develop the classic features of adult bipolar disorder like mania, researchers have found. They are far more likely to become depressed.


One explanation for this would be that they were depressed in the first place. Just sayin' that's a theory that might be worth checking out.

Drug makers and company-sponsored psychiatrists have been encouraging doctors to look for the disorder since several drugs were approved to treat it in adults.


What? Would a drug company do something like this? Actually try to influence a doctors practice of medicine in a way that would enhance the value of their stock?

“We are just inundated with stuff from drug companies, publications, throwaways, that tell us six ways from Sunday that, Oh my God, we’re missing bipolar,” said Dr. Gabrielle Carlson, a professor of psychiatry and pediatrics at the Stony Brook University School of Medicine on Long Island. “And if you’re a parent with a difficult child, you go online, and there’s a Web site for bipolar, and you think: ‘Thank God, I’ve found a diagnosis. I’ve found a home.’ ”


You know the answer. The sun will rise in the east tomorrow, water will flow downhill, and corporations are about nothing other than raising their stock price.

I was 15 years ahead of my time. Looks like I might not have that much trouble today with my scheme to get away from Mom and Dad. Of course the nice hospital apartments are gone. A handful of Risperdal and 20 pounds of fat around the middle would be all it would get me today.

I'll bet the rubber room in the state institution hasn't changed though.

8 comments:

crrlygrrl7 said...

Dude, I totally believe it. It's pretty amazing what the dr.'s try to push on you when you're a confused teenager...pretty scary. "May I please have some lithium to go with the klonopin?" Really, i was just anxious...

Natalie said...

drugmonkey, what's with ragging on bipolar people? some of us may just check ourselves in to the psych ward just to get out from behind the counter! besides, bipolar disorder is actually a later-onset disease that frequently appears between the ages of 16-25. big pharma and their lies...
i think the biggest problem with kids and mental disease today is ADHD. personally, i dont think its an actual disease but more a reflection of bad parenting (just my opinion), but that aside. look at the neat candy we have for ADHD nowadays: daytrana, concerta, metadate, adderall xr (yeah no one prescribes the amphet salts anymore), focalin (which is going generic, but dont worry, vyvanse will pick up that slack).
and the kids just eat this shit up.

i dont know where i was going with this but yeah, look at the amount of money thats going into ADHD r&d, medications, etc. damn ridiculous.

Anonymous said...

Natalie-
Trust me sweetie, it's a disease (or condition, whatever). I used to think that way too, but now I have a child that is severely ADHD and I promise you that I have never been a bad or lazy parent. I suspect there are some cases out there that are misdiagnosed and just bratty kids, but there is a significant difference in behavior. I don't appreciate you lumping us all together in the same group. This is a daily struggle for our family and I take it very seriously.
A'mee

Mother Jones RN said...

There is no room at the inn. All of the state hospitals are closing, so there are no more non-padded rubber rooms for those in need. Now everyone who needs to be locked up are living out on the streets.

Myk said...

totally agree! it happened to me too.

Anonymous said...

Most "ADD" kids ARE the result of bad parenting, or single moms who are getting kicked off welfare after 5 years and need the SSI money to pay her cell phone bill, but the condition is very real.

How to tell the difference? Do the parents brag about it? If not, then it's probably for real.

When I was in pharmacy school, a woman I know told me that her 10-year-old son was put on Ritalin. I sort of groaned, and then she told me that in 2 months, he gained 6 grade levels in reading. That is what it's for.

Anonymous said...

rph3664: damn straight.

I actually have a diagnosis of bipolar disorder in my medical records, and lithium was suggested (my mother wisely refused). I was bloody thirteen. I was an angsty mc angstburger of a pretty normal teenager--with depression. I shoplifted. I smoked. When I was furious with my mom, which was at least once a day, I threw furniture and even gave her a black eye.

What I did NOT do was constantly pace around the house full of energy and high on life, experience chronic insomnia, chase boys like they had million dollar bounties on their heads or attempt to join 15 different activities and be the president of all of them.

My mom, who has bipolar disorder and has taught junior high for decades, agrees with me that teenagers need some severe and profound physical symptoms to even consider a manic episode. Don't get me started on ADHD...

Anonymous said...

Thank goodness for your article & others like it. I was tagged bipolar in the early 90's boom. I am emotionally disturbed, but I don't buy the convenient one-size-fits-all diagnostic criteria. Seems like a cop-out to me, also a way to bundle up many problems into one all-encompassing theory.
The bipolar think-tanks are still theorizing more variations to put everything under one giant umbrella.