Thursday, July 27, 2006

Inept Bureaucracy Or American Arrogance? I Report, You Decide.

Yesterday I covered a shift at a store other than where I usually work. The place is busier than my normal pill room, meaning there is more than one pharmacist on duty at a time. This is a good thing for 2 reasons. 1) It gives me a chance to pretend to be busy when a customer comes up to the counter demanding to know why there isn't any organic sunscreen (really happened -she absolutely had to talk to a pharmacist about this.) and 2) It means there's an extra person to shoot the bull with during lulls in the pill counting action.

So I'm taking advantage of option number 2, making idle chitchat with the other pharmacist, who is from another country, about the hoops one has to jump through to get a license in the US. "Well at least you didn't have to take the English equivalency test" I say, foolishly assuming that someone born and raised in ENGLAND would have a working knowledge of ENGLISH.

"Oh but I did" was the reply "and I'm happy to say I did quite well."

As I would be willing to bet do most subjects of Queen.

No comments: