Saturday, September 26, 2009

I Fear I May Have Set The Expectations For This Post Too High. After All, It Is Just Another Example Of Big Pharma Sucking Pud.

And honestly, if you're anything more than the most casual visitor to my little blog garden, the extent to which Big Pharma sucks pud really shouldn't surprise you by now. You probably know that when you see things like this taken from corporate websites, in this case that of Wyeth (soon to be part of Pfizer):

We bring to the world pharmaceutical and health care products that improve lives and deliver outstanding value to our customers and shareholders.


What is actually meant by the words "improve lives" is "doing things that increase breast cancer rates, and continuing to do them until our shit gets called by real scientists not on the payroll of Big Pharma"

The words "deliver outstanding value to our shareholders," however, mean exactly what they say.

There is a kid somewhere out there in Fargo, North Dakota though, who while I was delivering on the Bill Monning pill counting parade I promised you earlier this month, wrote me a nice comment hoping he would still get the scoop on the Big Pharma ghost writing story I promised you almost 2 months ago.

My turnaround time on these stories would be much shorter if I had some sort of dedicated blog revenue stream. Just sayin.' Anyway, this one's for you North Dakota kid. To the August 2nd New York Times:


Newly unveiled court documents show that ghostwriters paid by a pharmaceutical company played a major role in producing 26 scientific papers backing the use of hormone replacement therapy in women, suggesting that the level of hidden industry influence on medical literature is broader than previously known.

The articles, published in medical journals between 1998 and 2005, emphasized the benefits and de-emphasized the risks of taking hormones to protect against maladies like aging skin, heart disease and dementia. That supposed medical consensus benefited Wyeth, the pharmaceutical company that paid a medical communications firm to draft the papers, as sales of its hormone drugs, called Premarin and Prempro, soared to nearly $2 billion in 2001.

But the seeming consensus fell apart in 2002 when a huge federal study on hormone therapy was stopped after researchers found that menopausal women who took certain hormones had an increased risk of invasive breast cancer, heart disease and stroke. A later study found that hormones increased the risk of dementia in older patients.

But......but......all those scientificy papers said Premarin helped heart disease and dementia....you mean they were wrong? And not only wrong, but teetotally 180 degrees wrong from what the real facts were? Huh.

So.....quick question here. Why was it so easy to develop a "consensus" that Premarin was good for your heart and brain when the exact opposite turned out to be true, and it is so hard to apply the term "consensus" to something like global warming, something that is as true as Vicodin may be habit forming?

Hint. The words "sales....soared to nearly $2 billion" have something to do with it. Because when your goal is to take your sales sailboat in that kind of direction, you'll do things like this:

In 1997, for example, DesignWrite, a medical communications company in Princeton, N.J., proposed to Wyeth a two-year plan that would include the preparation of about 30 articles for publication in medical journals.

The development of an article on the treatment of menopausal hot flashes and night sweats illustrates DesignWrite’s methodology.

Sometime in 2003, a DesignWrite employee wrote a 14-page outline of the article; the author was listed as “TBD” — to be decided. In July 2003, DesignWrite sent the outline to Dr. Gloria Bachmann, a professor of obstetrics and gynecology at the Robert Wood Johnson Medical School in New Brunswick, N.J.


Let me just pause here to say Robert Wood Johnson. Wood. Johnson. Huh huh.....Huh huh....

Dr. Bachmann responded in an e-mail message to DesignWrite: “Outline is excellent as written.” In September 2003, DesignWrite e-mailed Dr. Bachmann the first draft of the article. She also pronounced that “excellent” and added, “I only had one correction which I highlighted in red.”

The article, a nearly verbatim copy of the DesignWrite draft, appeared in 2005 in The Journal of Reproductive Medicine, with Dr. Bachmann listed as the primary author. It described hormone drugs as the “gold standard” for treating hot flashes and was less enthusiastic about other therapies.

The acknowledgments thanked several medical writers for their “editorial assistance,” not disclosing that those writers worked for DesignWrite, which charged Wyeth $25,000 to generate the article.

The most surprising thing for me here is that the article only went for 25 grand. Wyeth really does know how to provide great value for their shareholders evidently.

Wyeth did have this to say about how they pay people to plant research in respected scientific journals:

A spokesman for Wyeth said that the articles were scientifically accurate and that pharmaceutical companies routinely hired medical writing companies to assist authors in drafting manuscripts.


Let me repeat a paragraph a I quoted above to demonstrate what the words "scientifically accurate" evidently mean to Wyeth:


But the seeming consensus fell apart in 2002 when a huge federal study on hormone therapy was stopped after researchers found that menopausal women who took certain hormones had an increased risk of invasive breast cancer, heart disease and stroke. A later study found that hormones increased the risk of dementia in older patients.

I'd also like to stop here and send a little message to the person who wrote me awhile back and said the federal government "would fuck up a peanut butter sandwich," and point out to him the words "federal study" in the paragraph above. I also want you to notice how the federal study came out in 2002, and how Wyeth was still pushing its junk science three years later in 2005. It would be so wrong for me to wish breast cancer on anyone's mother Mr. Peanut Butter sandwich, but I really think you should stick to your principles here and tell that Mom of yours how free market science says you should totally keep popping a Premarin a day.

Because the federal government just can't do a damn thing right can they?

Except expose bullshit checkbook science.

And run a healthcare plan with higher satisfaction rates and lower administrative costs than anything done by the private sector.

I have a question for the rest of you as well. Those of you who carried Big Pharma's water year after year, telling your customers not to worry, that this whole ta-do was just a figment in some trial lawyers wet dream. Don't you feel used now? Like a big 'ol piece of toilet paper? I know I do. I have a customer who had a mastectomy after taking Premarin for years whom I can barely look in the eye now, and I didn't ghostwrite anything. All I did was trust them.

Never again. Whenever I see that woman come in the store I am reminded never to trust them ever again.

14 comments:

Scritches.com said...

Reminds me of a conversation I had with my doctor many years ago. I was considering Premarin, and she pointed out the risks of breast cancer.

"But the chances are really, really low, right," I said.

"Yes," she said. "Until it happens to you."

She then told me about one of her patients who believed Premarin was safe and now has breast cancer.

I passed on the Premarin because it is "safe" -- until it happens to you.

Anonymous said...

Where did this story come from? Is it readily available in the free press? Why do we have to 'wait' 'til issues come up in blog opinions of those with incontrovertibly 'jaundiced' eyes?

I noticed when news that Pfizer was slapped with $ billions fine for lying about its promotion campaign of Vioxx, no one really made any mention of it anywhere. For that matter, my local Indiana congressman (whose wife and he, himself receive campaign contributions from drug companies) sent me a 3.5 page letter describing why, when he 'considers proposals for reform, he will support proposals that strengthen the doctor-patient relationship and put decisions back in the hands of physicians and their patients'...'we must provide for Americans' access to high quality and affordable health care by fostering competition in the health care market and increasing innovation, reseach, and devleopment of lifelsaving drugs and medical devices', and cannot support a public option, 'instead of creating a large, new government bureaucracy, we need to focus omore expanding access to health care for Americans unable to afford the health care they need'. Hmm, why do 'we' need to come up with addenda to ensuring benefits to the citizens on a pre-existing crooked bureaucracy?

Coming from a long line of stalwart women (no Premarin) I wondered about why there was such a 'to do' about the natural menopausal process; various strengths of Premarin (just one strength of the cream), the fuss abouts EstraTest and HSt, and why it was big deal to compound progesterone suppositories on very busy weekday, and compounding pharmacies latching onto a lucrative business of whipping up soy concoctions, and menopausal female physicians input in Prevention magazine weighing in on whether or not they use Premarin recalling the anecdotal trivia from p'cog about wild yams, etc. and so on.

An older friend who'd had a total hysterectomy in her 40's told me she swore by her brand name drug, and I wondered 'what the dif', until reaching menopause (and also working on the PharmD in classes where we discussed impact of female hormones on cardiovascular disease and cancer) and found that menopause is just something as uncomfortable as anything else in life, just deal with it.

Anonymous said...

I still do not understand why 85 year old woman are still taking Premarin.

Why isn't this on the front page of every paper and the lead story on every news channel?

No instead we get to hear how Obama is going to kill your grandmother and tax us to death. The county is a joke! What happened?

Anonymous said...

I'm not doctor, but I'd consider ALL breast cancer "invasive."

I recently made the mistake of reading a thread where a bunch of moms were bitching about the HPV vaccine and how a few girls have died from it. Their amazing logic was that cervical cancer is detectable and treatable so they won't "risk" the evil, evil shot. Ya know, the "risks" involved with radiation and chemo and other treatments are much scarier than a simple vaccine. Even if it is easily detected and treated, IT'S STILL FUCKING CANCER. Who uses the "yeah, but it's not a *bad* cancer" logic to defend not getting their child vaccinated? I want to put up a list of "side effects" of treatment for cervical cancer for them to take a look at. Not to mention a friend of mine had to go through LEEP and said it was rough.

People baffle me, DM.

Tyler said...

You inspire me and and I have such a love for you, a healthy man love have you. Your amazing writing and sense of humor brighten my pharmacy world and I just wanted to say thanks! You make me laugh out loud often and I can really relate to the stuff you talk about. I appreciate the fact that you have fun and make comedy out of the crappy situations you are put in and aren't one of those dark pharmacy bloggers that just bitch. Keep exposing big pharma, keep showing how dumb people are against birth control, and telling your daily stories that we all love. I always look forward to your twitters and am disappointed when there aren't new ones. Just keep up the great work and know that you are making the lives are pharmacists better by giving us some great workplace humor and something to look forward to!!! I know a bunch of pharmacists who have some of your blogs posted up on their wall and I've told all of my pharmacy friends about your site. Hope you get some more writing gigs cause you really have a talent. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Wow, and I used to think Premarin was evil solely from the animal rights' perspective. Between the what they do to the horses and the whole "causing invasive breast cancer, but we're not going to tell you that", it's pretty much the drug straight from hell.

Anonymous said...

Dr. Gloria Bachmann? Is she any relation to Michelle Bachmann (R-MN)?

Unknown said...

Yer right. I'm feeling used. When did menopause get to be a disease, anyhow? I'm not enjoying perimenopause, mind you, and a few of the people I work with are REALLY not enjoying it (too bad, they deserve it), but what the hey. It's part and parcel, you know?

I think I'm tired of made up diseases. Can we focus on bringing us all down to normal size again, and maybe killing off diabetes?

Anonymous said...

Drugmonkey,
Just wanted to comment on your awesome blog and this story in particular. My mom used Premarin for 12 years. Guess what? She ended up with both a breast cancer diagnosis AND a heart attack. Thankfully, she has completely recovered from both events, which occured nearly 7 years ago now. Needless to say, I will never use Premarin or advise anybody to do so if they should ask. (I also practice pharmacy-another reason I enjoy your blog so much!)
Thanks for your consistantly entertaining posts. Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

Us compounders have been warning women not to use premarin and provera for 20 years.... just saying.

DrugMonkey, Master of Pharmacy said...

There's absolutely no evidence that compounded estrogen is any safer than premarin, and actually some that it's just as bad. You do know that women who menstruate for over 40 years have a higher breast cancer risk than those who menstruated for a shorter period of their lives, because they have been exposed to more estrogen, right? And that would be the same natural, "bioidentical" estrogen you guys are whipping up and charging out the ass for.

Of course as far as I know there have been no good studies about the placebo effect of paying a zillion dollars for an estrogen made "just for meeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!" either. Maybe you can quit counting the money you make from compounding that crap for a second and point me towards one or two.

Just sayin.

Shig said...

I work for Robert Wood Johnson(we call it "Bobby Joe's" for short). And Dr. Bachmann's office is right around the corner from mine (different department, I'm not GYN). Anything you'd like me to ask her?

DrugMonkey, Master of Pharmacy said...

TC,

Ask her if she's interested in meeting that customer of mine who had the post-Premarin mastectomy, or short of that, if she has anything she'd like to say to her. I'll be happy to relay the message.

Or maybe ask her if she got enough money out of the deal to buy back her soul.

Hayley said...

Big Luv to ya but white on black burns my eyes ....must rest my peepers.