Monday, September 28, 2009

An Accidental Artistic Lunch

I wondered why they felt the need to call it an "American" Diner as I walked by, seeing as how I was around 500 miles from the nearest international border at the time. I mean, there was really very little doubt as to what country I was in.

"Dammit!! Did I make a wrong turn and end up in Vancouver again? Wait....this kinda looks like it might be Belgium. Oh, hold on, thank God for that little restaurant there with all the flags." Those flags really come in handy when one is trying to figure out which country they are in.

Of course I was being facetious with myself. All those flags were signals that white people food was being served inside. As Sarah Palin taught us during her run to be second in command of this country, white people like to think of themselves as the only real Americans.

That was OK though. because I was in the mood for some onion rings, and nobody does onion rings like the crackers.

I had to chuckle though, when I was finished, looked down, and saw this:





I think I'm going to call it "Palm Beach County Butterfly Ballot, As Seen From Fallujah, Iraq"

Go ahead and tell me the one trying to make sure the sick don't have to make a choice between care and bankruptcy is worse. Go right on ahead and tell me that motherfucker.

9 comments:

ThatDeborahGirl said...

Are we a tad bit angry at the more unenlightened among white people today, dear?

I have my moments like this. Where it all makes no sense and the things "the majority" seem to be fighting against (making sure anyone can see a doctor) seem crazy compared to what we're fighting for (making sure everybody in Iraq and Afghanistan hates America for generations to come).

So, while I sit here typing with hands that are numb from untreated Reynaud's disease and a daughter with asthma who needs an albuterol inhaler I can't afford...

Not to mention my mom who worked as a school teacher for 32 years and has health insurance; who prides herself on paying her bills in full and on time, but has given up on paying medical bills that her insurance company insists on denying as if her six day hospital stay was a resort vacation she insisted on taking; and who has two doctors who won't see her unless she has her "co-pay" caught up; how this system has taken the hardest working woman I know and makes it hard for her to hold her head up under the weight of prescriptions for MS and liver cirrhosis caused by the medicines she takes for her MS.

I feel your pain hon. Keep fighting. Keep writing. Don't despair. Don't give up. Get mad but don't let anger consume you. Better days are coming. Most people do wake up...eventually.

Thom Foolery said...

"All those flags were signals that white people food was being served inside."

Thanks for the second-degree coffee burns to my nasal mucosa, DM.

Jessica said...

I like ketchup.

Seriously though, I *do* have health insurance and I had to fight for over a year to get them to cover the ambulance ride (lights and sirens! bad for headache though) and the emergency room visit when I had a big-ass seizure and whacked my head open on a metal chair on the way down. It happened at work, so of course it was denied as "Worker's Comp." Note: if you're planning on having a seizure, make sure you do it at home. In bed.

After multiple (5+) attempts, it took a 16-page letter including all of my medical documentation to finally get them to cave and pay what they were supposed to pay from day one.

And I am one of the lucky ones!

Don't let your anger overwhelm you, DM, just focus on turning it into action. You have much power with this blog. :)

amyn said...

i agree do not let anger consume you. That was actually a lesson i learned the hard way after i got off of drugs and alcohol. So keep up the good work and have a great day.

Penny Mitchell said...

Regarding worker's comp: My best girlfriend in the world slipped on ice that had built up on concrete stairs leading to the HOSPITAL, where she WORKED, as a HEALTH CARE PROFESSIONAL, broke her coccyx and tore her sacroiliac joint. Because it was on hospital grounds and she was on her way to work, it was deemed worker's comp.

The battle that resulted from that little proclamation prompted her to issue this on worker's comp: Even if you have to tie it off with a tourniquet and drive yourself to the hospital in an exsanguinated haze, look 'em straight in the eye and insist that you did it to yourself at home.

Amen and amen.

Heather said...

Please, please, please tell me that link to narconon is a joke, DM.

Amelia Ramstead said...

In Olympia WA there exists a place called "Norma's American Cafe". The whole place is decked out as if Fox News came in and puked all over it (in face, what's that playing on the huge TV screen front and center??? Oh my gosh, it's FOX NEWS!!!) Is that perchance where you were????

Pharma Heidi said...

That's pretty funny....long winded title for it mind you! What resto has these little flags?

marc said...

this blog is f*n sweet, it's really making my time in pharmacy school better. i just the last two weeks worth of blogs during my pharm sci class... i laughed the whole time