Sunday, October 19, 2008

A Trip Back In Time, Both Financial And Physical

So I summoned up the courage to look at my 401k balance today, and I have decided I am very jealous of it. Because what I found, when I looked, is that my 401k stands at a point where it was pre 9/11,  pre (preventable) destruction of New Orleans, pre unnecessary preemptive war. It's like my 401k has decided to just wipe out the Bush years and start over. That's awesome. You have no idea how much I wish I could do that. I bet my 401k is really happy right now, and I'm happy for it, as it has gone back to a better time and place.

I'll be doing a bit of time travel as well tomorrow, as it's summer vacation time for me. That's what happens when you work with a pack of breeders. They beg for the actual summertime to take their vacation and you end up taking yours in October. Not that it matters, as I'm off to Ohioland and the heat of Ohioland is a bit oppressive in the summertime for someone acclimated to the California coast. 

Now when I say Ohioland I don't mean Cleveland, or Cincinnati, or Columbus, Ohio, or anyplace in the state where more than 3 people live within walking distance of each other. If you've been to Ohio, you've probably not been to the part of the state where I'll be spending the next week. It's back to my Appalachian roots my friends. There will be no Internet, there will be no cellphone coverage, the only concession to a post 70's world at my parent's homestead is caller ID, so if you're trying to stalk me, remember to block your number. 

In short, I'm going to vanish for awhile, the same way a good chunk of my 401k money has. The difference being you can count on me to return. Considering it's back in the era of Clinton, I guess I wouldn't blame my 401k money if it never does. 

Have a good week my friends. 

8 comments:

jin said...

Have a nice break... even if it isn't summer there anymore.

It is what you make of it!

;-)

Anonymous said...

If you get mauled by bears, I hope they stay away from your face. :)

But if they don't, I can probably draw around it.

6 and a half hours of sleep for you. Don't be *too* cranky in the morning.

And don't forget to grab an 8-track for me!! Come back in one piece, k?

Anonymous said...

If you've been to Ohio, you've probably not been to the part of the state where I'll be spending the next week.

You would likely be mistaken, DrugMonkey. :) The color is pretty great this year, but it's been a little cool the past few days (read: about 40 at night).

Have fun dodging road apples, again!

Charlie said...

Enjoy Ohioland, DM. I actually live in an eastern 'burb of Cleveland, but have been out to Southeast Ohioland, which sounds much like you describe.

Also, Columbus is famous for being home to Ohio State University.

Anonymous said...

OH NO!! What are we going to do without you!!! Hurry Back!

Anonymous said...

KATIE SCHWARTZ EXTENDED THE VOTING PERIOD FOR THE CUNTEST AND YOU'RE NOT HERE TO PROMOTE YOURSELF!

I KNEW YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE LEFT!

What did I say this morning? What did I say? See what you did? If you don't win those cupcakes, it's your OWN fault!

Sigh. I don't really care about the cupcakes. I just didn't want you to leave. I guess I'll flip through the archives.

Nicholas said...

Come visit us in Ann Arbor drugmonkey!! Your our pharmacy class hero!

Anonymous said...

Awww, we'll miss you Drugmonkey!!!