Saturday, October 04, 2008

Dear Wall Street, Are You Proud Of Yourself Now?

Do you even remember that the numbers you play with all day long, that the games you play with those numbers all day long, long after you've put together all the numbers you need to put together to live out the remainder of your years in comfort, are built on the backs of real people? That when you squeeze those numbers and play your games, you're squeezing and playing and hurting real people?

Don't try to cry your crocodile tears and tell me you got hurt as well. You don't know what hurt is my Wall Street friends:





"And then I saw the blood" Careful you don't get any of that blood on your money Wall Street. Someone might think it's from one of those exploding dye packs banks use when they're being robbed. Once some of that dye gets on the money, you can't spend it anymore you know.

So do you even remember the numbers you play with are connected to real people, or do you just not care? My gut tells me it's the latter. I remember your type from college. Business school was the dustbin for failures who couldn't handle other majors, and Wall Street is the place for failures who can't handle basic humanity.

Enjoy my $700 billion. Seriously. Keep it. Because I never, ever, want to profit off of something like this, and I'm sure you're eager to show you see things differently.

Sincerely,

Me and a shitload of other taxpayers.

4 comments:

Scritches.com said...

I'm not so sure it's Wall Street, or if it is it's just a small part. It's the politicians, the bankers, the predatory lenders, the apathetic voters, the Enrons, the overpaid CEOs, the laws . . .

Wall Street just responds in its quest for liquidity.

Back a zillion years ago in England, a corporation had to be approved by the king/law, had to have a concrete purpose, and had to have a limited time of existence. In our country, a corporation is a "being" without limits on its behavior -- this is both good and bad. Good for business and innovation and the economy, bad for anything/anyone that stands in the way.

You and most of your readers are probably too young to remember -- once the US dollar was backed by gold. You could exchange a paper dollar for actual gold. Simple. Then, the government decided it didn't need to back the dollar with gold, silver would do just fine. Then, in the sixties I think it was,
the government dropped all pretense of backing the dollar with anything. It dropped the silver certificates and since then our money is backed by -- nothing.

We've evidently been living on credit, along with the rest of the world, ever since. When a business has to have credit to meet its routine payroll, and that's viewed as normal business behavior -- something is seriously wrong.

In some ways we're all responsible for this poor woman (I hope she's okay) and the thousands out there just like her. In some ways we've just allowed this unacceptable, unthinkable behavior to go on until it's poisoned everything and everyone it touches.

I don't know what to do, I don't have any answers. Like everyone else, I'm trying to hold on to what little I have and care for the people and parrots I love. I vote. I do my best to educate myself about the candidates. I read. I'm educated and being liberal is the only political stance that makes any sense to me.

Wasn't it Jefferson who said we needed a revolution every generation? I think we're long, long past due -- or maybe even too late.

Anonymous said...

Checked the story out and it seems like Fannie Mae "conveniently" forgave the loan for this woman after the media covered it.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/10/03/eviction.suicide.attempt/index.html

Kind of reminds me that part of 'Sicko' when AETNA "conveniently" decided to change policies to cover from one to two cochlear implants for that one patient (after being told it was being added into Moore's movie).

Let's see a typical cochlear implant would cost $40k-60k (www.nad.org/cifaqs) excluding the follow ups and the medications associated after the surgery. McCain's plan to pad $5000 per family for failing health insurances (and aforementioned were insured). If the insurance doesn't cover, then it would roughly mean your up shit creek without the fucking paddle.

Seems like the only way to get anything done is to put their proverbial nuts into a wringer (banks, health insurance, government, etc.).

Makes you want to fucking laugh and cry at the same time.

I agree with Drugmonkey.

"You know what to do next month."

Anonymous said...

Sorry, it was Cigna than Aetna (pfft...big difference).

Anonymous said...

From this week's postsecret...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_a7jkcMVp5Vg/SOgMLsEqGQI/AAAAAAAAHA0/awsU3IUqOcU/s1600-h/hungry2.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_a7jkcMVp5Vg/SOgMPxyjlGI/AAAAAAAAHA8/MYrOEMOenqE/s1600-h/hungry1.jpg