Wednesday, October 29, 2008

It May Take Me Awhile To Get Back Into The Blogging Swing Of Things, As Evidenced By This Snippet Of My Past Week

So I write this tonight my friends, on the brink of middle age. I can't deny it anymore. Thirty-nine times two is 78, and you can't really make a case that living to 78 isn't a full life. Middle age. The transition may be a little harder for me than most, as I have always been used to being the youngest. I have three older sisters you see, which tells you one thing. 

My parents must be really old. 

I just spent a week back home with my parents, and during that week my parents did what old people do. They sat and talked. They sat and talked with the television on in the background. My little old lady of a mother is all about the election wouldn't you know, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, so the nights programming is Hardball, followed by Olbermann, followed by Rachel Maddow. After this gluttony of election news, finally, it's time for a change on the TV. 

Anderson Cooper. That's 4 solid hours of the politics my friends. I can now feel the pain of those of you who feel as if I may go a little long on the subject here. 

Mom: "Do you like him?"

Me: "He's OK. A little more straight edge than Olbermann, but not quite as entertaining. Depends on what you're in the mood for I guess."

Awkward silence. 

Television: "Sara Palin's clothes cost One-hundred and fifty thousand dollars!!!!!!!" 

Mom: "I hear he has ties to Vanderbilt money" This is said of course, in much the same way it would be if the Vanderbilts were our next door neighbors, or had some other intimate connection with our family. 

Awkward silence. 

Television: joe the plumber.....Joe The Plumber!!!...... JOE THE PLUMBER DOESN'T HAVE A LICENSE!!!!!!!!!

Awkward silence. 

Dad has been sitting in the corner through all of this. Dad's kind of a gruff, stoic guy. Finally he speaks. The words are directed towards me:

"Is that Cooper a homosexual?"

I know the answer of course, as I am now the portal into the world of all things homosexual, living as I do in California. 

This is how I spent my week. 

Don't get me wrong, I was glad to see the family again. I am also glad to be home.  


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

funny dialogue with ur mom, i liked her comments and speaches, she remembers me on my mom. lol
u must be convinced that u have at each age a different charm.

jin said...

39?
39???

pft!

You're just a pup!
I swear guys reach their ultimate hawtness at 40 or 41. So, you have that to look forward to.
;-)

Um... although... based on your avatar, you might want to consider a bit of waxing...

Unknown said...

Glad to see you back. For the record, I prefer Olbermann. Angrier, hotter, and straight ;)

Anonymous said...

Told ya so..... :)

Romius T. said...

welcome back!