Monday, April 28, 2008

I Will Try To Remain Calm In This Post. It Will Be Hard. I Have Issues With Medical Professionals Who Think Certain Classes Of People Deserve To Die.

From the pages of this month's Mother Jones. An absurdly inexpensive and extraordinarily well written magazine you should go subscribe to right now:

One winter night in 2000, Danny, who was 21 at the time, went home with a guy he met at a crowded bar in San Francisco. Random hookups weren't out of the ordinary for Danny, but this one ended badly: As he was buttoning up to go home, his new friend mentioned he was HIV positive. Usually conscientious about safe sex, Danny hadn't been, and he panicked. " I was in shock" he says. "I just couldn't believe it." He vaguely remembered reading about an emergency treatment that could prevent infection, so when he got home he called the California AIDS hotline. Memory served. A monthlong regimen known as post-exposure prophylaxis treatment (PEP)- usually given to health care workers who have been stuck with needles-was available at local clinics and emergency rooms to people who had recently been exposed to HIV. The side effects of debilitating nausea and fatigue were a small price to pay for its potential benefits: A study of health care workers published in the New England Journal of Medicine linked the rapid administration of the drug to an 81 percent decrease in the risk of contracting the virus.

Danny went to a city clinic, where after a consultation, he was given a prescription for two antiretroviral drugs-the same kind that HIV-postive patients have taken since the 80's

Remember that. The same kind patients have taken since the 80's

"Why did you say you'd have to remain calm Drugmonkey?" some of you are no doubt saying. "This story is what medicine is all about, the prevention of disease and maintenance of health are the very essence of medicine, at the very core of what health care professionals do. This is a happy story Drugmonkey. You must be a bad man. "

Read on:

Danny was lucky that California is one of the few states (along with New York, Massachusetts, New Mexico, and Rhode Island) where policies ensure that the general public-not just hospital workers who have been exposed on the job-can access the drugs. Elsewhere, the desicion is up to individual hospitals, clinics and doctors.


You read that right. The decision as to whether to take action to prevent a chronic, fatal if left untreated disease is left up to each individual hospital, clinic, and doctor. Unless you're a hospital worker.

"Oh cut the drama Drugmonkey. So some egghead rule writer never got around to updating policies no one looks at. What ethical clinician would not try to prevent disease?"

Surveying all 50 state health departments and more than 50 ER's nationwide, I (MJ writer Justine Sharrock) encountered STD clinicians and workers at AIDS hotlines and Planned Parenthoods who did not know PEP could be prescribed to the public. An Alabama health department official told me "It's not available" A nurse at a North Dakota clinic said he all but encouraged patients to fly to San Francisco.


Let me......go over a few things as those last two comments sink in.

It's not like PEP is some sort of exotic, special treatment where the meds have to be flown in from the factory within 72 hours. Remember the part about the drugs being the same ones that patients have been taking since the 80's? Here's a common PEP regimen, usually to be taken for 1 month after possible exposure:

Kaletra 400/100mg 1 tablespoonful twice a day.

Plus one of the following:

Epivir 300mg/day or 150mg twice a day or Emtriva 200mg/day

Topped off with Retrovir 200mg three times a day or 300mg twice a day.

There are others, but those of you in the profession get the idea. Any doctor, any Physician's Assistant, any Nurse Practitioner can write prescriptions for these meds. I can almost promise you a pharmacy in your town stocks them. If you have prescription insurance, they're probably covered. They are literally just like any other prescription that goes through my hot little hands in the course of a workday.

Yet a nurse in North Dakota tells people to fly to San Francisco, which is more useful advice than you'll get at certain health departments in Alabama.

As we ponder why, let's apply what I call the "rabies test." Let's say there was a drug protocol that was shown in the New England Journal of Medicine to be 81% effective in preventing rabies after a dog took a chomp on your leg. There were no other proven ways to prevent rabies. The regimen was FDA approved and widely available, yet there were hospitals and clinics that said "unless you're a dogcatcher, we don't feel like giving it to you."

That'd be pretty fucked up wouldn't it?

You wouldn't stand for it would you?

So why is this allowed to stand?

You know why.

It's because gays and lesbians are the new niggers of the 21st century, and if you think they are not in a liberation struggle against the very same forces that held down those of the 20th, I just proved you wrong.

And I remained calm for the most part.

22 comments:

RehabNurse said...

This is scary no matter what your preference is...say you hooked up with a bisexual person (you being hetero) and he or she dropped that bomb.

Okay, so you've found out about PEP through this blog and you're in East Podunk, so you go to your health department to get it.

If it's out there and available, it's not right to justify giving it to some and not others if it will keep them from testing positive for such a nasty disease.

My job as a nurse is to treat the patient, not the sexual orientation, or choices someone has made.

That's way beyond my expertise. Thanks for pointing out this very scary fact.

Anonymous said...

(sigh)
I completely and utterly agree with you on this topic.
But why, why, why, did you have to use the n-word? I understand the point you are trying to get across, but there are many other phrases that you could have used to obtain the same effect.

you just broke my heart drug monkey...

tnt

Anonymous said...

Add atheists to that list. At least we have openly gay members of Congress.

CD Covington said...

God, but that pisses me off.

I work at a county health department near a Major Medical School in the southeast. I had a nursing student who'd gotten a needle stick come and ask if I could fill his PEP prescription, because Occupational Health refused to fill it because he was a student and not a real employee. Isn't that, I dunno, wrong?

Krissa said...

It's a shame what medical procedures are widely available or covered in this country. And you'd think whoever'll let this be "secret knowledge" would be all over this, can you just imagine the dollar signs in their eyes if they would remove the religious aspect and charge and arm and a leg for PEP?

P.S. Did you hear about the Digitek recall?

Christine said...

That's really nuts. It's like the next morning after pill or something. But at least people in North Dakota have heard of that.

Makes me glad to live in NY.

Anonymous said...

Ahh, North Dakota, where I had to drive in a raging blizzard to Fargo to find a doc and a pharmacy with Plan B. (Before it went otc.)

Anonymous said...

Damn. I've been reading the pharmacist blogs for a while now and that was the first one that really hit the nail on the head. I live in Alabama and work in health care and I can attest to the bass-ackward ways they (not we) run things.

Great post!

Holly said...

I just found an awful website rateadrug.com. Let the chaos ensue!

Anonymous said...

Wow. I'm shocked. I shouldn't be, but I am. Speechless.

Splat and Antisplat said...

Thank you, Drugmonkey, from the bottom of my heart, for not only fighting the good fight against the megapharms and the giganta-boxstores... but also now standing up against homophobia. There are so many reasons why I love reading your blog.

And, dude, I'll defend you against anonymous -- the n-word is just a word. You didn't put any teeth into your bite. There's a difference between calling me a faggot in jest and calling me a faggot in hate. When you said what you did, you were using the word as the word itself. There's PC and there's hyper-PC.

Anonymous said...

I don't think the use of the N-word was wrong at all. DrugMonkey was making a point and I think the N-word perfectly illustrated that point.

Madam Z said...

This story gave me a flashback to 1972 (before the Roe vs. Wade decision) when I needed an abortion...fast. I lived in Utah, where there was no chance in hell of getting one, so I hit the highway and went to L.A. I went to the hospital and told them what I wanted. They said I would have to see a "counselor" first, to see if my case warrented an abortion. The counselor was a man, of course, and seemed to enjoy being in the position of god. He asked me why I wanted it, I told him (I won't go into the sordid details here), and he asked "What will you do if I say 'No'?" I said that I would get a goddamned knitting needle and shove it up my cunt. He looked startled and said, "Well, okay then."

Goddamned judgmental religious nutjobs! I hate them all!

Splat and Antisplat said...

RainDrop said it better than I did.

And Madam Z -- wow, I hate those self-righteous scumbags, but it sounds like you did exactly what you needed to accomplish your goal. Your story reminds me of one I read about a woman who was trying desperately to get Plan B (weeks before it went OTC) after the condom broke. She ended up having to drive to three different ER's over 200 miles just to see doctor after doctor who told her no. Long story short, she was in the last hours of the 72-hour limit when Planned Parenthood was able to help her.

The little tech that does... said...

The sad part is that some agencies or individuals can use ignorance of the remedy as a thin veil for discrimination. Who is going to think of accusing someone of discrimination when your very life is in jeopardy? Thanks for the heads up.

This is Sixty said...

I support your use of the n-word. The n-word is for any group of people that the majority looks down upon and feels free to abuse and marginalize.

This lesbian atheist thanks you for being a rational, compassionate human being who is not afraid to point out bigotry......and stupidity.

Anonymous said...

Hi. Thank you for posting this. I am the Mother of a young (wonderful) gay man. Well, he just turned 17. He is not sexually active, has a steady boyfriend of his age and they have been together for almost a year. The boys are monitored as they would be if they were straight boys dating young women.

My son "came out" to me when he was only 13. I cried when he told me, not because of his sexual orientation, rather because of my fear that he wouldn't be treated equally by society. We had lengthy talks about health and safety. These were difficult things to discuss simply because of the fact that I had to explain to him why some people wouldn't like his sexual orientation while still assuring him that HE, as a PERSON, is a WONDERFUL person.

How does one explain to a child that others might treat him poorly, while still keeping his self esteem in tact? Well, whatever I did or said during these talks seems to have worked. He is confident and wonderful. He knows how intelligent, compassionate and loving he is... and dashingly handsome, I might add.

Now the only thing we need to do is get him to clean his bedroom.. something about a gay man not cleaning his bedroom doesn't sit right with me...LOL

Seriously, thank you for the heads up about these things. I'll have to let him read this blog and/or discuss this with him. I know, as with any other teenager, that his hormones are raging right now. Between myself and his boyfriend's Mother, we keep close tabs on them.

Thanks again and cheers to you and your blog!

Love, the Mother of the gay boy with a messy bedroom

Pharmer Jane said...

I'm sure some of the people who refuse to prescribe it or fill it feel that the person "got what they deserve" by having unprotected sex. I remember hearing in church that HIV/AIDS was proper punishment for being homosexual or being a "slut" (sex before marriage). I don't know why anyone would actually deny a treatment than can prevent the development of AIDS if given quickly enough.

Splat and Antisplat said...

@Pharmer Jane: And in the colonial times, our society considered a village stockade a more humane alternative punishment than death for thievery. Sure it's an improvement, but they're both pretty messed up.

I can't help but think that those people who judge gays and people who have sex before marriage as worthy of a killer disease belong back in the colonial period, too -- being split apart by horses. But hey, they can just stand in the stockade for weeks on end. See, I have compassion.

Anonymous said...

I am in Arkansas and I write for PEP all of the time. Typically in rape victims.

Just because we practice medicine in the south doesn't mean we are idiots.

Also, I would worry about meds available since the 80s. Its a good bet that some one who knows they are HIV positive has been on them at some point and now has RESISTANT HIV.

It seems to me that the best PEP would be fuzeon. unfortunately, not studied, and really expensive.

But logically it would make sense.

KC said...

How has no one mentioned that the person who knowingly is HIV positive but neither demand use of protection nor found it suitable to think of mentioning this fact before likely contaminating his "lover" with what has often been a death sentence. Yes, there are many things wrong with this picture. But you know what; NONE OF THE OTHER ONES WOULD MATTER IF THIS FUCKING SUBHUMAN DID NOT KNOWINGLY, WILLINGLY, AND HAPPILY SPREAD HORRIBLE PAINFUL DEATH FOR THE SAKE OF BUSTING A NUT.

In multiple jurisdictions this, and other acts like it are treated as attempted murder, and the person, straight or gay but subhumans all, is shipped off to jail to help create Super-Aids.

If I had found myself in this situation, my first thought would not be of the wonderful advances in HIV care, it would be finding my pants and shooting this cocksucker, man, woman, whatever. Pretty sure I wouldn't be thinking rationally enough to enquire who they got it from, and just keep killing up the line, but that is something to aspire to. After making absolutely, repetitively sure they were dead I would do whatever I could to continue ensuring no one else was forced to become infected from them. If we're at my place I have the Hcl, Lye, and Thermite; I will made do with standard accelerants in the hope that no EMS will lose their life in the attempt of saving that of a very undeserving former human.

Yes, its fucked up that these larger organizations will not help me clean up this literal and figurative mess.
That should in no way take away from the responsibility of the person that actually *infected* you.

I am not one that holds violence to be the only method of expression. But I will say this; you know, judging by his still-warm murder attempt, I feel you will save more lives by taking just this one.
I would never convict you if I ended up being on your jury (and you survived to make it to trial). I hope you all would do me or anyone else the same accord.

TheShyIntern said...

I really do learn something new from you every day. Thanks, yoda.