Saturday, April 12, 2008

Auralgan Update: Deston Therapeutics President And CEO David M. Preston Is A Far Bigger Douche Bag Than I Ever Could Have Imagined.

Evidently I have a lot to learn about what it takes to make it in the world of business.

I almost.....almost.....said something in my last post about the rip-off that is new formula Auralgan that I bet the price is somewhere around 40 or 50 bucks.

I mean after all, the old formula Auralgan that you can no longer get if your doctor writes the word "Auralgan" on your prescription pad runs about 15 dollars. I figured tripling the price would be about par for the course for the type of asshole who would engage in this type of maneuver.

A comment on that post gave me my first clue. I woefully underestimated the assholiness involved here. Retail price of the new Auarlgan?

$214.99.

That wasn't a typo. Two hundred and fifteen fucking dollars.

Let's recap: Deston Therapeutics bought the rights to the name "Auralgan", made some changes to the formula, like adding some vinegar, wait.....excuse me....acetic acid, and jacked up the price 14 times.

Let's also mention the price of a competing product that uses an antibiotic that doesn't do double duty on the condiment rack:

Cortisportin Otic: $79.55. Generic: $21.99

Wanna throw in a pain reliever? Sure.....

Oticaine Otic: $18.99 (All prices from Drugstore.com)

So.......if you are a doctor planning on writing prescriptions for the anal rape in a bottle that is the reformulated Auralgan.... please.....please.....hit yourself in the face really hard right now.

The whole thing kinda makes me feel like I've insulted the honorable people at Massengill when I so freely use the word "douche bag" in reference to Deston Therapeutics president and CEO David M. Preston. I mean after all, Massingill only charges $4.69 for their vinegar and water.

That doesn't mean you can put a douche in your ear though. Do not put a douche in your ear. I mean that.

13 comments:

Nate said...

Don't knock them. They need easy money to keep their innovative pipeline going.

Look at this list of fine Deston products

Aquatab C
Aquatab D
Aquatab DM
Auralgan Otic Solution
Histadec
Histadec DM
Novahistine DH 7
PRYFLEX

Innovation at its finest
Pfizer ain't got shit on them

Anonymous said...

hahaha, your texts are awesome. you're like the Dr. Suess of Pharmacy!

I am just in disbelief of this whole Auralgan thing. It seems like there should be a law prevents bullshit moves that are just designed to fuck innocent people. It really screws everyone involved. Patient has to pay a ton, or the pharmacist has to waste time to call the doc to tell him to change, or the doctor looks like a tool for prescribing such an expensive medicine unknowingly.

Anonymous said...

holy christ. auralgan is available OFF THE SHELF in canada for i think $8.99

and cortisporin otic is about maybe $20 on rx. okay, we use a generic called cortimyxin i think, but whatever.

i always forget how totally WHACK the prices in the US are. about a decade ago i was visiting New Orleans and my friend there got an rx for... shit, don't remember. anti-inflammatory anyway. Regardless. I knew the Rx in canada would run between $20 and $25. It was $90 for him and I was stunned.

but holy shit on the $215 ear drops.

Anonymous said...

When I heard about this several weeks ago, I sent the info sheet to every pediatrician I knew with the priced circled in sharpie. "Don't say you werent warned" I wrote. "write generic if you want generic" "Write Auralagan if you want your patients to hate you"

Anonymous said...

You know, I am moving to Canada at the end of the year; and given that I won't have health coverage till I am leagl, it is good to be reminded that my out-of-pocket drug costs won't kill me!

Anonymous said...

Check out DAW Inderal LA. Wyeth sold that one also. AWP in $500 neighborhood.

Big 'N Tasty RPH said...

Don't feel bad about using douche or douche bag. These are a few of my favorite words/phrases. They are short, sweet, and fun to say!

Anonymous said...

What did they do to make this "new Ayralgan" better? Added a little acetic acid (vinegar)for its antibacterial and antifungal effects probably more for a preservative than anything else. Also "U-polycosanol 410" that is an astringent instead of alcohol. There is no evidence that these ingredients offer and benefits over the old product.

By the way neither product is FDA "approved." the old Auralgan was a "grandfathered" drug like codeine, i.e., its been around forever. The new formulation is also not approved. Interesting. The new formulation may not be around as lon as the old formulation. Use the generic. Call the doc and let her know.

Anonymous said...

wow... I just went to Shoppers Drug Mart in Toronto... and paid 15 bucks (including taxes) for this... I was researching about it and when I saw people saying they spent 200 bucks on it, I was like nahhh I'm probably looking at the wrong medicine... but sheeeeeeeeeesh American's really are idiots =P kidding... I hope the cost for your medicine goes down thought... holly cow...

Anonymous said...

Its ok, what comes around goes around. David's now ex-wife lives in a $900,000.00 house and he lives in a $1000.00 a month apt. All good things come to those who wait!

Anonymous said...

My daughter just picked up my Auralgan prescription for me and I hit the roof when I saw the charge was for $260.99 at CVS. I had innocently asked my doc to write the prescription for Auralgan because it always worked for me. I had no idea this triggered the NEW formula. I'm afraid when I called the pharmacy I lost my cool and said I wanted a fucking refund. He said "Excuse me?" and I quickly said I want a refund. He understood and told me to tell her to specify the old formulation since she now has to rewrite the prescription. My ear is killing me but I'm not paying this outrageous price for relief. What a ripoff.

Anonymous said...

February 18, 2011...Well, looks like Mr. Deston, I mean Mr. Preston finally got his just desert. er, uh, I mean dessert, even though he belongs in the desert. Although, that's probably unfair to those flora and fauna that manage to survive in the desert.

No doubt Deston will file a claim with their insurance company for the ripoff, I mean drugs, taken by the Feds.

Anonymous said...

Well I agree with DrugMonkey, Master of Pharmacy .
It is a load of crap adn it does not even do what its meant to.My kid was still yellig for the entire two hours afte administering the drops...each time many hours later.