Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Sure, Avandia™ May Increase Your Chance Of A Heart Attack By 43 Percent, But That Doesn't Mean It Doesn't Do Good Things.

Without Avandia ™ for instance, fat models might never be able to find work:



Then they wouldn't be able to eat, which means they would lose weight, and then maybe be able to find work. I think that's called an irony cycle.

Oh, and to those who say that there is no difference between Avandia and Actos, I call bullshit on you.

Results of a head-to-head comparison of two insulin-sensitizing agents, pioglitazone (Actos®, Takeda/Lilly) and rosiglitazone (Avandia®, GlaxoSmithKline), show that although both are equally effective in achieving glycemic control in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus and dyslipidemia, they appear to have differential effects on lipids. Relative to rosiglitazone, pioglitazone improved triglycerides, HDL-C, non-HDL-C, and LDL particle concentration and size, although both agents increased LDL levels.


I'll use my magical drugmonkey science nerd to English translator:

This study showed that both Avandia and Actos are equally effective at decreasing a persons blood sugar. Both raised LDL ("bad" cholesterol) BUT........Actos raised HDL ("good" cholesterol) and decreased Triglycerides ("Blood fats"), while Avandia raised triglycerides.

Now I'll use my super magical science nerd to Homer Simpson level English translator:

Actos had better effects on people's cholesterol than Avandia.

This study was done in 2004, and today we are hearing of a possible link between Avandia and an increased risk of heart disease. Go figure. I think that would be called a non-irony cycle.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

trickle, trickle, trickle...

Unknown said...

Oh, how I love the science nerd to normal people speak translators. I find all too often that when I start talking about scientific things most of my friends eyes just gloss over. Sometimes I find it quite amusing, where as others ...not so much.

--==-- said...

I actually wrote a lengthy article on the two studies that were written. The real question though is how much the slight differences in LDL levels may have inreased MI risk. I honestly don't it is that pronounced. The rate of MI increased something like 0.55% to 0.61% in the Nissen study. How clinically significant is that? I don't think it really is that significant. That 46% increase number is very deceiving. The media shouldn't be allowed to use statistics.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you about actos

monster said...

learning this right now!

monster said...

Myocardial infarction
-Several meta-analyses have suggested a 30-40% relative increase in risk of MI with rosiglitazone
-Avandia removed from treatment algorithm
-Pioglitazone (PROactive trial) demonstrated CVD benefit

Mechanism
-Fluid accumulation due to vascular leakage from endothelial vasodilation
-Possibly potentiates the effect of insulin on fluid retention

ARE YOU PROUD OF ME YET? I knew I remembered seeing something here....