Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Goddamn It Troops, Leave Me Alone.

I saw the woman hobbling up to the pharmacy from the second she came in the front door. The "clack clack" of her crutches getting closer and closer as her face came into focus with that unmistakable look that said a question was coming my way. Fortunately it was a slow part of the day, meaning she was able to ask that question, and I was able to answer and explain things and talk a bit. The kind of thing that professors in pharmacy schools pretend happens all the time. In reality it's like once a month.

The question had to do with her knee. She had had some sort of big-time repair done on it and said since that her calves felt "tingly"

"Like when your leg falls asleep?" Asked the Drugmonkey

"More like a creepy-crawly kinda thing. Thing is, I just saw my massage therapist who worked on my feet, and this is the best my calves have felt since the operation."

"Is the problem in both legs, or just the one that was operated on?"

This went on for awhile, and we eventually decided that a foot massager thing for sale on the nearest end cap might be worth a shot. She really did seem thrilled to have someones attention.

"I don't want to take up any more of your time, but I also have MS, menstrual syndrome, and there are like 5 different kinds of Midol out there....."

There really are a shitload of products carrying the Midol name these days. Like being a woman isn't hard enough.

When she said "I feel like I'm blessed to have come in here today" I thought that was a little over the top, but figured maybe she was just used to the kind of crap service Walgreens specializes in. It was when she said something about her knee being a souvenir from Iraq that I realized; she was one of George's kids. The crap service she was used to wasn't from The Pharmacy America goes to when they are too lazy to get out of their car, but from places like Walter Reed Army Medical Center.

That crisp, can-do spirit that comes from your soul no longer being your own should have been a tip off, but I had been tricked into yet again supporting the troops I don't support. Dammit you troops are tricky. I do have to ask you though, is there some reason you keep coming to me, as opposed to the people who so bravely commit themselves to your support through commenting on how important you are and sticking a magnet on their car?

I swear if I become known as the go-to pharmacy guy for the local military community I will kill myself. Keep an eye on twitter.

5 comments:

Romius T. said...

it's May Day why are you working?

CD Covington said...

Because it's not a holiday in the US. And retail pharmacies are open most holidays, anyway.

And I snorted at the line about "like professors pretend happens every day" because that's SO. TRUE.

Anonymous said...

Try working at a military pharmacy...

Mother Jones RN said...

You're a good guy, Drug Monkey. Hang in there.

MJ

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, they are completely brainwashed to believe the chain of command. It is sad.

And let's not forget that in this "all volunteer" military the poor are over represented due to it being the best (read only) way out of poverty for many.

Now, if only we could send ALL the politicians (including judges) into active combat duty...

Pax,

MLO