Saturday, May 26, 2007

The Bullshit Exposure Through Dramatization Players Explain What's Going On With Avandia In A Way Everyone Can Understand.

Sometimes the magic of theatre is a way to communicate to a person's soul unlike any other. Back by popular demand, and by "popular demand" I mean "decision of the guy who writes this blog" we, and by "we" I mean "I" ....present the return of the "Bullshit Exposure Through Dramatization Players" with their production of:

"We Need To Get Your Blood Sugar Down"

The scene, a typical small town family doctor's office. A patient is waiting.....patiently.... for the physician to return after an examination. The patient has missed the doctor the last three times the doctor has entered the room because she has been getting up to pee every 5 minutes.

Doctor: Ms. McDonalds, I've been going over the results of your tests.

Ms. McDonalds: Do you have anything to eat? I'm really hungry. Thirsty too.

Doctor: Ma'am, please, I'm afraid this is serious. You have Type 2 diabetes.

Ms. McDonalds: Oh dear, but I'm only 17 years old!

Doctor: Yes, that's why we had to change the name from "adult onset" diabetes. It has a lot to do with the Big Mac in your hand.

Ms. McDonalds: Oh my, what is my prognosis doctor?

Doctor: I'm sorry to say this, but along with other possible serious complications, diabetes will increase your chances of cardiovascular disease; heart attack, stroke, and other circulatory problems.

Ms. McDonalds: Woe is me! (said through the muffled sounds of a mouthful of french fries) Whatever could I have done to deserve such a cruel fate?

Doctor: There is hope. Diabetes can be managed through the proper use of medication. Drugs like Avandia™, which has been shown to dramatically lower a person's blood sugar while possibly increasing their risk of heart attack by 43 percent.

Ms McDonalds: Excuse me doctor, but isn't the goal of treating my diabetes to lower my risk of heart disease?

Doctor: (acting genuinely puzzled) Why, no, the goal is to lower your blood sugar.

Ms. McDonalds: Um, are there other medicines besides Avandia™ that could lower my blood sugar?

Doctor: Oh yes, several. Including one very similar to Avandia™ that hasn't been shown yet to have any cardiovascular risk. There are probably dozens of options for you. Here's your prescription for Avandia

Ms. McDonalds: It's just that....I saw the article in The New England Journal of Medicine, and....

Doctor: Ms. Mcdonalds, I can assure you that the manufacturer of Avandia™ has said there is nothing to worry about, and if there is anyone known for their integrity and honesty, it is large pharmaceutical companies. I know personally I have never had a sales representative from a drug maker in my office who has ever tried to distort or present data in a misleading way in all my years of practicing medicine. You can trust Big Pharma far more than you can some fly by night medical magazine that isn't allowed outside of New England.

Ms. McDonalds: I see that you are a wise clinician.

The scene shifts to a large-corpo pharmacy. Ms McDonalds pulls into the drive through window.

Ms. McDonalds: The drive through is the best invention ever. Could you go get 5 boxes of Twinkies to ring up with my prescription?

Drugmonkey: No. That will be $229.95

Ms. McDonalds: My chest hurts all the sudden.

Ms. Mcdonalds hands Drugmonkey a credit card, then drops dead. Drugmonkey completes the credit transaction, then calls the non-emergency ambulance number. The stock price of GlaxoSmithKline, manufacturer of Avandia™, falls 10% in after hours trading. The world goes on.

7 comments:

Romius T. said...

I'm just glad you got the credit card transaction completed!

Mother Jones RN said...

Bravo, Drugmonkey. I’m nominating you for a Cleo award for best new ad writer for television.

MJ

Mother Jones RN said...

I mean Clio award. My fingers don't type too well first thing in the morning.

Danielle said...

Ya think the McDeathburgers and fries might have something to do with her diabetes? Almost everything at Micky D's has sugar in it, even the fries.

Pepperpourri said...

Glad to have u back drugmonkey. Heheh, this is really funny. Keyboard + sarcarsm cum humour + good pharmacist = drugmonkey

Anonymous said...

"You can trust Big Pharma far more than you can some fly by night medical magazine that isn't allowed outside of New England."

Now I love you.

Anonymous said...

ROTFLMFAO :

Ms. McDonalds: I see that you are a wise clinician.


Tinky