Saturday, May 05, 2007

Times Have Changed At My Alma Mater, Or Not

From the latest issue of The Ampul, the alumni magazine from the Ohio Northern University College of Pharmacy, we have this profile of a freshman pharmacy student. I did not change the name.

Melissa Negro finds faculty accessible, early pharmacy education helpful.

Seeing professors eating lunch in the dining hall makes an important impression on freshman Melissa Negro.

"On occasion, you'll see them in the dining hall having lunch or walking through; they'll say hello and greet you by your name. I think that's incredible," she says......

......Her Profession of Pharmacy (POP) classes address topics she finds fascinating, she says. Last quarter included a general introduction into pharmacy along with a discussion on HIPAA, the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, with a focus on security and privacy of customer health information.

Putting aside the utter........bizarreness......that there is a soul on this planet that finds the fine print of the privacy notice tucked into your prescription bag the slightest bit....fascinating, I'll just say that it's good that Negros are finally getting some respect at ONU. Back when I was a young Drugmonkey there, people didn't seem to like Negros very much at all. You should have heard the way they talked about the Negros when they were sure that there weren't any Negros around, which was pretty much all the time, as I only remember one Negro at the ONU college of pharmacy when I was there. She was really quiet, and usually sat in the back of the class, although I'm pretty sure she wasn't forced to. Anyway, evidently times have changed at ONU, and so have the Negros. Here's a picture of the young Negro featured in the Ampul:


I don't remember the Negro at ONU looking anything like this when I was there.

Perhaps things haven't changed.

17 comments:

Romius T. said...

there's a negro i could bring home to mom. wait did i say that. i hope the monkey doesn't post this.

Cathy said...

Ohio Northern, you say? Geez, you might actually be my pharmacist, and if so, I wonder if you Do hate me? ONU is about 20-25 miles down SR 309 E. from me. So yes, I am in that bigger town just that many miles W of Ada. BTW, my pharmacist happnes to work just off of SR 309.

Now, Drug Monkey, I would feel like a fool, if you were the pharmacist that I gave a copy of your post, "Why in hell it takes so long for our DAMN prescriptions" to...Please say you aren't him!

DrugMonkey, Master of Pharmacy said...

I escaped from Ohioland years ago Cathy, When I see an Ohio Licence plate now here in the land of Schwarzenegger, I don't know whether to congratulate the driver on their escape as well, or to run the car off the road because we don't want their kind here.

Someone unaware has given me that piece I wrote about why your prescription takes so long to fill, but we can be sure it wasn't you.

Please tell me they still put up that billboard coming into town that declares that "Halloween is Satan's feast day" God I loved that thing.

Anonymous said...

Did the College of Pharmacy's magazine actually spell "HIPAA" incorrectly? I'm fascinated by how many people that deal with it everyday still spell it like Hippo.

Cathy said...

Congratulate them for getting out of here! can there be anyplace in the entire US, that is more boring (or ugly) than this part of ohio? I do have a BIL who went to law school at ONU. As for me, I went to OSU in Columbus.

I use to get to Ada quite often, but these days I go there once a year, on Labor Day weekend, for a family reunion at the park. I have swam alot of laps in the swimming pool over there.

I have 3 siblings who have all escaped from here and are either in Fla. or Trenton NJ. I dont know why in the world I stayed. I must thrive on punishment!

Anonymous said...

Féliz Cinco de Mayo, vanilla face!

nataS said...

Feast indeed...Upon souls cast aside by angry Pharmacists.

DrugMonkey, Master of Pharmacy said...

Your fascination with the Hippoization of HIPAA would now include tired drugmonkeys posting at 2 in the morning. Correction made. Thanks.

Mother Jones RN said...

She thinks that reading about HIPAA is fascinating? She isn't as cute and innocent as she looks. She obviously is doing drugs. WTF?


MJ

Anonymous said...

Glad I found your site!

ONUPharmD said...

I graduated from ONU in 2005 and the lack of ethnicity has not gotten any better. It's sad, but I moved to Salt Lake City, UTAH and we have a better diversity panel than Ada did! Drug Monkey, when did you graduate?

Anonymous said...

at least you didn't mistake her for a boy...

CD Covington said...

She reminds me of the butt-kissers from my class. "Oh, I looooooove pharmacy so much! It's all so interesting!" I wanted to kick them all. And they were by and large white girls of the sorority/fraternity variety (kappa upsilon is co-ed.)

My class was much more diverse, but I'm in North Carolina.

Anonymous said...

The real butt-kissers at my school, Univ. of Illinois at Chicago (UIC), were the members of Rho Chi, the honor society who liked to sit around all day and give each other awards. "Oh, Professor So-and-so, could I do an independent study project with you I just find pharmaceutics SOOOOOO fascinating." These were the same ones who spent whole weekends studying and had near perfect GPAs.

Eric Durbin, RPh said...

How funny....Drugmonkey reads The Ampul. If I were awake at 2:00 AM, The Ampul would definately put me to sleep.

KLus864 said...

Wow... as an ONU student, this is quite humorous to me. Yes, I will admit I laughed at the complete non- PCness of that post. The image is something the university is striving to correct, and they are trying to equalize ratios.

I'm in that issue of the Ampul too, and quite glad that my picture wasn't captioned at all. :)

And not gonna lie... POP, when required P1 year, was the time I did more important classwork or a crossword puzzle.

And I have not seen any such billboard, FYI.

Anonymous said...

Don't get it. Not funny to me. You're not required to make me laugh! My BS Pharma diploma was a product of the late 70's early 80's. I loved my school, good ol' U Wyo--very low student:professor ratio. Despite bad press in later years, there was diversity on a microcosmal scale.