Sunday, March 11, 2007

My First Thought Is Calling Something "Pill Patrol" May Attract The Wrong Type Of Volunteers.

From an e-mail I got the other day from Planned Parenthood:

Over the past three years, Planned Parenthood has worked with large pharmacy chains, urging them to change their policies to stock EC and ensure that women can access their birth control in-store, without discrimination or delay. Some pharmacies, like CVS, have stepped up to the plate, changed their policies, and worked to ensure that those policies are enforced to protect their customers. Other pharmacies have flatly refused to adopt such policies. In the wake of EC going over the counter, Planned Parenthood has had numerous reports of women being denied access in their pharmacies. We are asking for your help. Today, Planned Parenthood is launching the next phase of its campaign to protect women's health — a nationwide grassroots effort to ensure that EC is available in every neighborhood in America.

During the month of March, Planned Parenthood needs hundreds of volunteers to join its Pill Patrol and attempt to purchase emergency contraception at neighborhood Costco, Target, Wal-Mart, and Supervalue/Osco stores.

Joining the Pill Patrol is easy. When you sign up to survey a store in your neighborhood, you'll receive an activist toolkit that includes easy instructions, a script, and a phone number to call if you have any questions.


My second thought is that it's pretty sad we have to have an outside group doing the job state boards should be taking care of. Pull this kind of shit and you deserve to lose your license. Period.

My third thought is that it would be really funny if one of the Planned Parenthood spies came into the store on a day when I didn't have any Plan B in stock because of a warehouse fuckup or something and I got tagged as one of the misogynist moralizers in a lab coat. Funny in an ironic kinda way. Anyway, those of you in the profession, you've been warned. Planned Parenthood is watching.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hell, just looking at those two makes me want to throw buckets and buckets of PlanB at them.

They should get a medal for not wanting their genes passed on.

Anonymous said...

I'm a tech and I work at one of the stores that refuses to sell EC. I was pissed when my pharmacist told me that none of them would sell the prescription. The sad thing is that none of the pharmacies in my area will sell EC.Got to love the bible belt. The sad thing is that by making it over the counter was meant to make it the technician's decision whether or not they want to sell EC. I was never asked my opinion on the matter. I think that a pharmacist should separate their beliefs from the job. Otherwise pseudoephedrine would be taken off our shelves.

Anonymous said...

Hey Drugmonkey,
Long time reader, first time commenter. This is an issue I am super passionate about. I cannot understand how people who are soo intelligent can be soo dumb. I had a tech tell me she wouldn't sell the stuff, then I showed her the packaging and that plan b and seasonelle had the same chemical in them. I don't mind if these people have a problem with plan b, if they also have a problem dispensing birth control. Some where in people's minds they have this confused with r-486. I've done CE and left it HIGHLIGHTED in my store where it says it does not cause abortion. My only hope is one day they will educate themselves...

Anonymous said...

My pharmacist keeps saying that he is going to "enforce his morals" and start refusing to sell Lipitor to people who are purchasing ice cream and pork rinds and Spiriva and albuterol to people buying packs of cigarettes. Sounds like a plan... and if we are out of plan b because of warehouse fuckery I am on the phone to every pharmacy in the area trying to find it and apologizing profusely. I make it very clear that I would sell it to them if I had any.

Anonymous said...

Hell, not only does my pharmacy stock it (and a hell of a lot of it), but if you come in and are under 18, I will prescribe it for you! Yep, we are in a state that allows collaborative practice and I have one set up. Bring 'em all in and I will make sure to reduce your percent of getting knocked up by about 90% (or something like that).

Whether it was an accident or you just did not care, a whole lot of my paycheck is going to the world of medicare/medcaid, and I would like to at least keep that bill a bit smaller because I did not have to pay for everything for your child!

Carol said...

I completely agree. Imposing your morality on someone else is just plain wrong. Do that on you rown time. If someone wants Plan B then you should sell it to them if it is the appropriate med! Along with some counselling on b/c