Saturday, March 25, 2006

It's Saturday, and Thoughts Turn To Desperate Housewives

I even hear there's even a TV show with that name....:) Not to beat a dead horse here, as I've already mocked "America's Pharmacist" Kemi Olunloyo earlier, but one thing I did notice as I looked over her incredibly easy to mock blog was that finally, a Hollywood screenwriter type seems to have figured out the best way to poison someone. Kemi had her boxers in a bunch over an episode where an evil pharmacist deliberately fills a man's prescription with Potassium Chloride tablets so the pharmacist can score with the dead man's wife. Not that I blame the screenwriters, as from what I've seen, even medical people get it wrong a lot. I can't tell you the number of times I've read about an evil doctor, nurse, veterinarian, or whatever who tried to off someone with morphine (detectable post-mortem), strychnine (ditto), arsenic (same), or some other chemical easily detectable or that produces a specific set of symptoms (Like the Chor-acne that disfigured Ukrainian President Victor Yushchenko after the Russians tried to poison him) and I've said to myself "Why didn't you use potassium you moron?" Not that I condone killing people, it's just that incompetence and stupidity in any endeavor annoys me. And anyone with the slightest bit of medical training should know that potassium is the way to go. Looks just like a heart attack, and good luck finding it, as your body reeks with potassium naturally. So while ABC may have offended the sensitive little feelings of "America's Pharmacist" (the name almost mocks itself really) The drugnazi says kudos to someone for finally getting it right.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

obviously you are boooooored! But you get a comment today. I no longer manage that blog but dont you think ABC made all pharmacists look bad? You customers get ideas too! Love your website. keep us laughing!!!
It's Kemi, America's Pharmacist
not anonymous

DrugMonkey, Master of Pharmacy said...

Wow. First just let me say how honored I am to have a celebrity come visit my little blog garden. I feel like I should be setting out the fine china or something. For those of you not in the profession, let me give you a little background on how one earns the title of "America's Pharmacist." Basically, it's a lot like "American Idol." We all gather in a TV studio in Los Angeles and try to impress a panel of celebrity pharmacists with our pharmacy related talents. The obvious losers are weeded out over the course of a few weeks, then the real contenders perform in a black-tie gala where the winner is determined by a nationwide vote of medical professionals. I was out of there the first week after my medley of Broadway show tunes altered to warn patients they shouldn't mix Xanax and alcohol went over like a lead balloon. I will never forget as long as I live though, Kemi's unique interpretation of Shakespeare's "King Lear" performed while calculating, with no electronic devices mind you, only a pencil and paper! The correct dose of Gentamycin for a patient with mild renal impairment. It was truly an unforgettable evening, and it's really an honor to have her here.

Getting back to the Desperate housewives though, (The TV show, not the ones I go trolling for at Little League games and while grocery shopping) I'll say that while I didn't see the show (I hate TV... I really hate TV. I think the average slob that watches the idiot box all the live long day has a far bigger problem with boredom that I do.) I think most people are capable of differentiating what is clearly fiction from reality. Ever see "Marathon Man"? talk about making a profession look bad. Yikes. But I think most people don't expect their dentist to be drilling into their teeth for shits and giggles when they need his or her services. Likewise, most people don't think in the real world a nuclear power plant would employ someone like Homer Simpson who would fight for the last doughnut while a core meltdown was happening. Truth be told, most pharmacists are such passive, meek, nerdy types, I think portraying one with an actual sex drive who's got the initiative to go after what he wants can be a good thing. Not that we should ever kill anyone. Just wait until the husband is at the kids Little League game. Works for me.