Tuesday, August 05, 2008

I Dream Of Escaping The Profession, But Let's Face Reality. I'm Almost 40. My Future Lies Within It.

Not many can pull off up and starting a brand new career by the time gray starts to settle in around the temples. Even if those temples are covered in thick, fabulous, non-bald hair, and not even if in less than a year I will be one of the hottest 40 year old men on the planet. No my friends, around my age, people start to get defined for what they've been, not what they will be. So it may well be time to accept that my career path is set, to stop wasting my time on cockamamie dreams of being the next Carl Bernstein, and to spend it instead concentrating on becoming the best pharmacist I can be.



Which leads me to two words: Elvis Pharmacy. Who the hell wouldn't want their prescription filled by Elvis?



You need a niche to succeed in today's marketplace, and while Elvis has been done every which way since he took his terminal poop, having him behind the pharmacy counter would be a first for both The King of Rock and Roll and the drugstore business. Not to mention the professional dignity of a pharmacist wearing a sequined jumpsuit and sunglasses is a good two or three steps up from the quickie drive throughs, the Maalox name tags, and the "Your prescription ready in 20 minutes!" barking over the store's PA offered by today's pimps of the profession. Elvis won't lie to you and say the "bioidentical" estrogen specially compounded to protect the profit margin of your independent drugstore is safer than any other estrogen. And really, who better to counsel you on that Percocet prescription?

"Now you listen to the king" I'll say while looking over the top of my rose-tinted eyewear. "You only take these if you're really hurtin.' The king didn't do that, the king took them whenever he wanted to, and look how the king turned out. "

My God this idea has "license to print money" written all over it. The Elvis demographic isn't getting any younger, and if old people buy anything, it's pills and muscle rubs. Elvis would charge extra to apply the muscle rub. Of course The Elvis Pharmacy would be in Las Vegas, and any town where you can pick up your dry cleaning at two in the morning is a natural fit for myself, who is writing this blog post at that very hour.

I could also easily gain 40 to 50 pounds and still play the role. Plus I would get to wear a cape. It would involve a lot of prescription transfers, as it would be the tourists who would mainly be begging me to sell them shit, but this could be dealt with, even become part of the Elvis Pharmacy experience. Listen in as Elvis calls your square drugstore back home.

Those of you in the profession, you have been warned.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

larry david did not create seinfeld until he was 42, just one of many examples

Scritches.com said...

My gawd, you're a genuis!

Anonymous said...

I'm...I'm so sorry baby, but you're only allowed six darvocets in a day.

*background singers: 6 in dayhay*

I know the pain is.. is real bad, but the Tylenol limit is too high if ya take more. Tooooo hiiiiiggghhha!
Soo, baby, don't follow the directions on the bottle b/c the Nurse Practitioner...

*nurse practitioner..her..her*

Doesn't know, baby, the limit that will make you Liiiivah quiiivah!

*Liver quiver*


Okay, sorry :P I heart Elvis. You should definitely move to Vegas. Once I graduate from pharmacy school, I come work for you!

Anonymous said...

Speaking of Larry David. Didn't he cameo in Sienfield as the lawyer with the cape? You gotta do the cape thing dude! Too cool!

Jo said...

Run away with me. I want to be the nurse in hot pink leathers, with a souped-up, nitro-fueled Vespa, who tells patients what she actually thinks of them.

An Elvis pharmacist to back me up would be perfect.

Anonymous said...

do you want an accomplice, novice, Pharmd(notice the little d, as to approximate my doctorness) to come work as your priscilla presley pharmacista duo? (i have always wanted to do dancing with the stars and have plastic surgery)
You are my inspiration to stay in clinical pharmacy - depsite CMS and medicare, at least some customer isn't yelling at me for it. but i still would be your priscilla, Pharmd.

Anonymous said...

Viva DrugMonkey!
Viva DrugMonkey!
Viva, Viva DrugMonkey

Anonymous said...

Everyone is hitting on you, and I'm the only one who noticed that you said "fabulous," which might mean that all these chickies may be wasting their time :)

I joke, I kid.

Mother Jones RN said...

I like Jo's idea. Run away to Vegas with us. We will be your back up singers. By the way, hot chicks go for older men. Just wait. Babes will be crawling all over you, begging for a piece of Drugmonkey.

MJ

Cracked Pestle said...

If we'd only had Relistor back in the '80s, Elvis might have lived to prevent Michael Jackson from turning white.
Would you have a little Krispy Kreme corner in the Elvis Pharmacy? A huge headlining laxative aisle? Sequin-bedecked keystone technicians? The bench seat from a '57 Coupe de Ville in your waiting area? A sandwich counter serving only fluffer-nutters?
I'll be in my bunk.

woolywoman said...

please, always use your powers for good, not evil..

Lipstick said...

Ooh, Drug Monkey, you are a hunka hunka burnin' love.

Anonymous said...

Oh yea, you Hound Dog, too much Elvis behind the counter and you will run into Suspicious Minds, which will put in JailHouse Rock with the rest of 'em. The problem with Elvis is he consumed too much of the inventory! I'll take skinny elvis over fat Elvis so skip the weight gain, Monkey!

Unknown said...

i have ALWAYS wished my pharmacist wore big, white sunglasses when i got my fentanyl patches

Anonymous said...

http://www.someecards.com/upload/confession/im_30_if_you_round_down.html

:)