Wednesday, October 12, 2011

I Suppose It Would Be Rather Horrifying To Look At Your Baby And Discover An Ass Problem.

I wouldn't know, as I don't have any. Babies that is. We'll leave any ass problems I may or may not have out of this for now.

But like I was saying, I've heard  the love between a parent and infant is unlike any bond in the human experience, which totally makes sense. Evolution would have to create a pretty damn strong bond after all to withstand the noisy, smelly, mess making, mess getting into, sleep depriving experience that is parenthood. I've worked in a retail setting for close to 25 years now, which means I now see  babies who could be the babies of the first little shits I saw wailing down the toy aisle long ago, and I am convinced. To put up with one of those things you would have to love them. A lot.

I bet the people at Stiefel Laboratories understand that as well. That a few of them are even parents, and that on occasion, they have experienced the unique horror that must come from seeing the child you love so much with its ass on fire. I'm talking about diaper rash, and I'm not trying to minimize the condition. I'm sure it's awful for a little guy or girl to have to go through. I'm also sure that the first reaction of most parents would be something along the lines of "I NEED TO DO SOMETHING!!!!!" That the sight of such suffering, along with a tinge of guilt that would come from thinking maybe they had had something to do with this, "Did I change the diapers enough? Was I not diligent enough with the baby powder?" Would spur a parent to do anything in their power to make things right again.

That's how most parents would think that is. The parents who work at Stiefel Laboratories evidently thought something along the lines of "We could make some money off of this. A literal shitload of money" Which would explain the creation of Vusion ointment. A product I am nominating this night as the biggest rip off piece of shit ever to grace a pharmacy shelf.

It's not that Vusion is ineffective. It never would have been approved unless there was evidence that it worked. The product's package insert lists three ingredients; miconazole, zinc oxide, and white petrolatum.

Miconazole is an anti-fungal agent used to treat secondary yeast infections that can take hold during an episode of diaper rash. It's good stuff to use in these situations, and Vusion contains it in a concentration of 0.25%

Thing is, you can buy an over the counter tube of miconazole , eight times as strong, in the athlete's foot aisle. It goes by the name of Micatin.

Zinc Oxide is a skin protectant that also helps to seal out moisture. Again, a great idea to use when skin is irritated and wet. You'll get it in a concentration of 15% in Vusion. Or you could get some over the counter Desitin and get it in a concentration of 40%.

The audacity to list white petrolatum as an active ingredient is my favorite. White Petrolatum is Vaseline.

So, let's recap. Vusion is a prescription product that contains a combination of ingredients in weaker strengths than you can find them over the counter. Now let's do some math:

One tube Micatin, 14grams-  $6.49 (all prices from drugstore.com)

One tube Desitin, 120 grams, $4.42

Vaseline, 75 grams $3.29

Which gives us a grand total of $14.20.

So, how much do you suppose a prescription of Vusion goes for, after you go through the process of being examined by a licensed prescriber and given the right to buy something not as strong? Guess. Seriously...before you read any farther, I want you to take a stab at how much you think the good folks at Stiefel laboratories will charge you for watered down over the counter products.

Ready?

$265.99 for a 50 gram tube. I am not making that up. It's almost enough to make me slightly sympathetic towards insurance companies.

So by all means, the next time you gasp in horror when you realize your little one's ass is in an awful way, ask your doctor if Vusion is right for you, and if your doctor says yes......

Find another doctor.


16 comments:

Renee Weber said...

who *prescribes* diaper cream? My son's pediatrician GAVE us a whole tub of that shit, right there in the office, same ingredients and I think there was a steroid cream in it too.

Heather said...

I think that I must immediately quit my job and go into the pharmaceutical business.

kg said...

YES! exactly!

ThatDeborahGirl said...

They don't make A+D Ointment anymore? That was the best stuff for diaper rash.

Anonymous said...

No big insurance plan or Medical assistance will pay for such a concoction....simple fix? either peddle something OTC or fax prescriber

"dear dr. nurse. indian chief. too expensive...something else quick quick"

RxSlinger said...

I don't even remember how many times I recommended and gave instructions to parents to make their own Vusion. Seriously? Give me a freaking break. I don't know what kind of no common sense folks in the FDA approved Vusion to be a prescription drug. Ugh...it makes me mad

Anonymous said...

triple paste makes a cream with the miconazole in it , they market it for jock itch...it is in a zinc oxide base...i think its called triple paste AF, and I've sold it in vusions place several times...runs around 18 bucks

Anonymous said...

I think what this country needs is a good dose of common sense even though we all know the average reading level is whatever it is, so is the average emotional quotient. Ye gads. Several decades ago, the answer was keep the little ones' butt dry and clean, and if I remember when sunshine was a cure-all.

Anonymous said...

I would have really liked to read this, but with my aging eyes, I can't read a small light font on a dark background. I normally just copy and paste into a blank document so that I can see the text, but you don't allow copying.

DrugMonkey, Master of Pharmacy said...

Anonymous 12:32

Your wish has been granted. Copy is now enabled.

Pharmacy Chick said...

shit yes, I wrote about Vusion once. I can imagine the conference room when they developed this piece of crap. "hey lets take 3 common and cheap ingredients, price it obcenely expensive and prey upon the " anything for MY BABY" attitude of the american public.

TwinsMommy414 said...

You have just given a DESPERATE mother with deep mothers guilt about not being able to afford this cream ($94 with Insurance) for her baby's bottom a breath of fresh air! I am going to the store right now and getting the components that I don't already have to help her immediatly!

I can't say thank you enough!!!

StepheeMarie said...

Literally read the tube my son was prescribed (24 dollars after Tricare Prime) the day after he got it and decided I wasn't paying for it again. Went and bought the ingredients and use it any time that rash tries to pop back up. Freaking miracle cream that shouldn't cost so much OR be prescription.

adventure. nuff said. said...

Stepheemarie, sure, I can agree, but a lot of miracle drugs have bad side effects and should be controlled via prescription, vusion, no ...

Unknown said...

Thank you so much! I'll have to mix this together myself now! My son has yeast, a type of dermatitis, & eczema that keeps coming back so my sons derm has been giving us samples of Vusion cause our insurance won't cover it. And around here without insurance, it runs $490 after tax! We had been trying so many products & at home mixtures, and changing things he uses one at a time, but nothing was zapping it. His derm got the vision in a couple of months ago & had us try it. It does work, but my question is can it be used continuously or just for a few days when needed? And is that form of micatintoo strong on a baby's butt? We've already use(d) the purple desitine, aquaphor, chlotrimazole, hydrocortisone, triple antibiotic ointment, baking soda,& more in different mixtures or alone. Vision is suppose to be a 7 day treatment so I don't want to hurt his skin anymore than what he already goes through. Vision clears it up in a few days but it seems to come back in 2-3 weeks. I hate watching my son's butt flare up causing him to cry in pain and his butt to be super red, blotchy, bumpy, & to bleed.

DrugMonkey, Master of Pharmacy said...

Theresa,

1) No, that strength of Micatin should be just fine on a baby's butt

2) Try continuing to use your Vusion or self made vusion for a couple weeks after it looks like everything's cleared up. Fungal/yeast infections can be notoriously hard to kick & sometimes you'll have to keep it up long after it looks like it's gone to get rid of it for good.