Friday, October 28, 2011

From The "I Work At Dundler Mifflin" File.

Dunder Mifflin, for those of you not in the know, is the fictional paper company portrayed in the TV show "The Office" Until this year the manager of this company was a character named Michael Scott, who I'm betting was a little too uncomfortably close at times to what you go through in the real world. Once in the show Michael Scott didn't quite grasp the importance of a celebration of the Indian holiday of Diwali, telling his girlfriend it was a "costume party' The girlfriend showed up as a cheerleader, to much awkwardness

Today my real pharmacy manager told my supertech, who is of Indian origin, that she should wear a sari and a bindi to the store's Halloween party. Saris and bind's are generally not considered costumes, and would produce much awkwardness to be used as such, but that did not phase the Pharmacy Manager, who brought up the idea several times

The lesson I leaned this day, Michael Scott lives.

7 comments:

Mike said...

That is fantastic. Did he try speaking to your supertech in her foreign tongue like Michael did to Kelly?

Từ Thanh Giác said...

One thing hasn't changed since I left pharmacy. The requirement for a Pharmacy Manger is sheer ignorance.

ThatDeborahGirl said...

Whenever I get my braids redone, my bosses boss used to touch my hair.

I finally had to tell someone else to tell her to stop.

Lee said...

The Diwali episode of The Office is my all time favorite.

Anonymous said...

you have to be fucking kidding me if someone called hr i would like to think this person would be fired but in the lovely corporate world they would just get a stern talking to

Anonymous said...

How fun is it to be known as 'slant
eyes' even before showing up on the job? Who says the methods of
'diversity' training are working well?

Zubair said...

Wow... talk about cultural insensitivity...