Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Do The Big Pharma Bashing Posts Get Easier To Write Because There's Better Material Available Or Because I'm Becoming A Better Writer?

So I'm doing my online travels today, which naturally lead me to the website of Allergan Inc. You know, because I'm a big fan of popular eye medicines and stuff.

Or maybe I was doing research on my secret project involving botulism toxin. I'll never admit which one it was. 

Allergan, you see, is the manufacturer of Botox™ A form of one of the most deadly poisons known to the human race. It has some medical use in the treatment of problematic eyelid spasms. It can also be injected into the skin of a cougar (an old horny woman, not the member of the cat family) to give her a better shot at landing a young piece of beefcake by making her skin look less wrinkly. There were rumors John Kerry used it during the 2004 presidential campaign as well. 

Anyway, guess which form of Botox Allergan cares far more about? Hint. Did you even know it had a legitimate medical use before I just told you? 

"So typical of Big Pharma" The cynical Drugmonkey thought to himself as the Allergan webpage loaded. I knew the score though. A Pharmaceutical Corporation's goal, like that of any corporation, is the accumulation of as many dollars as possible. 

But then I saw this, the opening paragraph of Allergan's homepage:

Allergan, Inc. is a multi-specialty health care company focused on discovering, developing and commercializing innovative pharmaceuticals, biologics and medical devices that enable people to live life to its greatest potential — to see more clearly, move more freely, express themselves more fully.


Gasp! Allergan had changed! Their focus, the very first thing they say, is enabling people to see more clearly! Move more freely! Express Themselves! A president who isn't dumb and a Pharmaceutical company committed to enabling people to live life to its greatest potential on two consecutive days! My God! It truly is a new world!

That paragraph was located right next to an ad for Allergan's new product, Latisse™, and I wondered if perhaps this Latisse™ was a miracle cure for Trachoma. After all, eliminating the world's leading cause of infectious blindness would definitely help people see more clearly, anyone who isn't blind could most assuredly move more freely without one of those guide dogs, and not having to wave around a red-tipped cane in front of you would probably let you express yourself better. A perfect fit for Allergans stated goals! Plus, a better plan to treat Trachoma, which has blinded 8 million people worldwide, than the current one, basically blanketing a town in azithromycin once an epidemic has taken hold, would give Allergan bragging rights over those cocky bastards over at Pfizer. A win-win for everyone!

Of course you can also stop Trachoma, which has infected 84 million people, by building a town a basic sewer system. But that's effective and cheap and doesn't lead to resistant strains of bacteria you can make more money off of later by inventing new antibiotics. Plus it makes people think about poop, and who wants to think about poop? Anyway, I was convinced this Latisse™ would just have to be something like a new, vastly improved treatment for Trachoma as I clicked on the ad to find out all the details:

You couldn't click on the ad. I had to use Mr. Google, which led me to The New York Times:


First it was frozen foreheads. Now it’s Betty Boop eyelashes.

Allergan, the company that turned an obscure muscle paralyzer for eyelid spasms, Botox, into a blockbuster wrinkle smoother, hopes to perform cosmetic alchemy yet again. At the end of the month, the company plans to introduce Latisse, the first federally approved prescription drug for growing longer, lusher lashes.


Longer, lusher, eyelashes. Which when you think about it really, might actually work against Allergan's stated goal of helping people see more clearly depending on how long and lush those lashes got. Drat. Big Pharma lied to me again. At least we still have a president who isn't dumb. 

"Drugmonkey, you corporate hating commie, you're not being fair!" I can hear some of you saying. Latisse™ is another version of Lumigan™, the glaucoma medicine, Allergan does have a commitment to help people see clearly!

Latisse will cost slightly more than Lumigan, which is $73 to $84 for a 2.5 milliliter bottle for patients who pay for it themselves.


Allergan plans on charging $120 for a 3 ml bottle of Lumigan with a different label. So yeah, I guess while they do have some sort of a commitment to helping some people who are rich or insured see clearly, they also have a commitment to ripping you off. What the New York Times calls "slightly more" is 37% higher per milliliter. For the same stuff.

There's no commitment whatsoever to the African villager looking for a decent place to shit however. No commitment from anyone. He'll take his dump the best he can and be blind someday. Enjoy your Big Pharma $120 a month body-altering mascara women of America, and remember always the reason prescriptions cost so much here: 

All that cutting edge research that keeps getting done. 

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yup, google. Or the comment I left on this post, which leads to the same article: http://drugmonkey.blogspot.com/2009/01/sadly-it-appears-my-customers-may.html?showComment=1231925940000#c5029853892483150183

DrugMonkey, Master of Pharmacy said...

Maybe I was giving you a new nickname.....Dr. Google.....:)

ariel said...

And here I was thinking that Botox's main medical use was for headache/migraine prevention.... silly me.

Special Sauce said...

HA! This is great- Fiance has glaucoma and uses Lumigan- HATES the fact that it makes his eyelashes grow longer- he'd just rather be able to see normally. (Selfish bastard!) He'll get a chuckle out of the new label- so long as he can still get the cheap stuff-

snarkie said...

Thanks for always saying what I'm thinking but can't put into words. I have glaucoma and I would trade my long luscious lashes anytime to not have glaucoma.

Anonymous said...

The first fda approved prescription drug for longer eyelashes....is there going to be more? hope nobody confuses it for an ear or nose drop..that would be an ugly sight. I am thoroughly stunned. Is obama still president..it's all Ive got left and they did have that do-over.

Anonymous said...

I did a literature search on the subject. Turns out the "side effect", hypertrichosis-overgrowth of the eyelashes, occurs in 15-45% of patients treated with Lumigan. The darkening of the eyelashes occurs in 1-3% of patients. About 1% of patients get darkening of the iris. So the blue eyed girls with 120 bucks to spare that want longer eyelashes have only a 15-45% chance of having Latisse grow their lashes, but they risk their eyes turning permanently brown. Yep...hot seller. I'm buying Allergan stock.

Anonymous said...

Well, my eyes are already brown, but my lashes are very short and skimpy, with none at all in the middle. I even thought that this might be a solution to looking lashless, with without resorting to gluing fake ones on, but it's too expensive to even consider for me.

Anonymous said...

I read this kinda fast. What's this about a drug that gives cougars longer eyelashes? Won't they get them caught in the jungle brush as they chase the impalas?

Utah Savage said...

I have TMJ so bad there are times I can't get my teeth together or apart--the jaw muscles finally go into spasm and it's a bit like having lock jaw. I also get terrible headaches, neck aches and have ground my teeth to a nub. My jaw almost dislocates every time I open or close my mouth. All dental work makes it worse. And Botox could alleviate the symptoms of this disorder, but Big Insurance would never cover any treatment for TMJ including and especially the Botox.

I'm betting the new lash grower will be a big hit with the lash impaired no matter the cost. If you're rich and young and are lash challenged this just might change your life.

By the way, I think you're a fine writer. It was your writing on twitter that hooked me. And I'm a terrible snob about writing.

Anonymous said...

When my brother was a baby he had actual Botulism poisoning and almost died.

Amusing how blase' we've become to some things, when Botulism today equates to "getting rid of frowny lines." And a medication to give you longer fuller lashes? What ever happened to mascara?? $4/tube and you're not f'ing with your body's chemistry.

Anonymous said...

A long time ago, our doctor mentioned Botox as a possible treatment for my son's hypertonicity (he has CP), and after researching it, I gave it a big hell no. The deaths from Botox were all in kids with CP who had the injections to release the muscles. We'll live with his tight right arm. We'd much rather have him around, thank you.

I hate how they repackage things once they find a positive side effect. My Neurologist tried to sell me Topamax as the wonderpill for my migraines because not only would it cure them, I'd lose weight! I did lose weight. I also lost my sense of taste. Awesome. They've actually started marketing Topamax as off-label weight loss medicine now. Awesome.

Anonymous said...

Oh, that's what the crazy lady was babbling at me about on Wednesday! A side effect from a medication that her eye doctor realizes she doesn't need, but that she wants anyway.

Từ Thanh Giác said...

Don’t forget the testosterone antagonist baldness medications. A man takes it to be more attractive to women. When he gets one he doesn't want sex.

Utah Savage said...

If I still drank, Laphroaig would be/was my official single islay malt scotch whisky too. But I was still working in those days.

Anonymous said...

Ellie,

Good for you and your son! I have a CP-like movement disorder and my neurologist suggested Botox when I was in sixth grade. Now, I was a very science-oriented sixth grader and said something like, "Injecting one of the most toxic substances known to man into my body? No way!". Years later, a friend told me that, on top of being risky, the injections are incredibly painful. Nasty stuff!

Anonymous said...

David E. I. Pyott, the chief executive of Allergan, said in the earnings call that the company had put incentives in place to encourage consumers to have cosmetic procedures even during the economic downturn. These include a $50 coupon on a Botox treatment and a $100 rebate if a customer buys two syringes of Juvéderm, a facial filler. The company has also just introduced Latisse, a $120 eyelash growth drug, which could help drive cosmetic consumers into doctors’ offices, Mr. Pyott said.


http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/05/business/05allergan.html