Saturday, June 17, 2006

The Seriousness Of Her Condition Silenced My Tongue.

So, one of my regular old farts comes in today. He's about midrange on the annoyance scale, his main problem being that he suffers from diarrhea of the mouth. I feel a little sorry for him though, as I know his wife is a little psycho and it's left him a bit damaged. So instead of the complete blow off, I give him the courtesy of the half-listen while trying to get some work done while he drones on and on about psycho wife. "The doctor said if this prescription doesn't work he's gonna try this" he says. "What do you know about it?"

He then slid a piece of paper across the counter with the word "placebo" written on it.

Well here we are. After 5 years of college preparing me to become the public's go to man for on demand drug info, after the passage of a law mandating that I offer to talk to you about your prescription when you pick it up and over a decade honing my professional communication skills, it's come down to this. A man wants to know what the deal is on sugar pills.

In defiance of my years of indoctrination, I told him it would probably be best to hear about this med from his doctor.

A funny side note to the placebos is that they come in three different "strengths." Cebocap #1, 2, and 3. According to Walgreen's.com, the website America trusts®, they will also set you back $46 a hundred.

7 comments:

DrugMonkey, Master of Pharmacy said...

"I mean, what are you gonna give him?"

Good Lord, I go to the trouble to put in a damn link that SHOWS YOU EXACTLY WHAT YOU GIVE THEM and I still get this comment. I also GIVE THE NAME OF WHAT YOU GIVE THEM and comment that I think it's funny that WHAT YOU GIVE THEM comes in three different "strengths"

Read the post before you comment. Your question certainly isn't the stupidest I've ever heard, but it's more than likely in the the top 10%

Oh. and I'm about ready to send a bottle of Cebocaps back to the manufacturer because it's outdated. (Irony alert, placebo caps past their expiration date)It's legal. It's done. Not a lot, or I wouldn't be sending that bottle back. But enough that the store had to order a hundred to dispense 30 over the course of 3 years.

DrugMonkey, Master of Pharmacy said...

The Cebocaps are legend drugs, and according to the medicare website, the new Part D plans will charge a copay of anywhere from $2.91 to $14.19 a month.

Somewhere out there is an old lady insisting she tried the Cebocap #1's already, but she just can't get to sleep unless she gets the Cebocap #2, so you need to call her doctor right now!!

Anonymous said...

A Pharmacy Ethico/Legal Question:

A retail customer offers you what is *clearly* a forged prescription, but it is for Cebocap. Should you:

(a) pretend to call the police,

(b) Summon somebody who will impersonate a police officer, or

(c) break out that dusty bottle of Sandoz Delysid you found in the back of the safe and roll the dice?

Anonymous said...

STUNNING! I had a prescription for anti-depressants I swore were placebo -- doctor said such a thing did not exist!!! (Canada)

Anonymous said...

do the doctors give you a regular presciption and the bottle looks the same as a regular one. if so..what is on the bottle to be able to spot it out.now it scares me that i am not getting my proper meds!

DrugMonkey, Master of Pharmacy said...

Anonymous 5:19

Everything would look like a regular prescription, with the name of the drug being "cebocap"

Again, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I've seen it exactly once in almost 20 years behind the counter.

Anonymous said...

One of my ED docs stopped a psychosomatic seizure with a stat dose of 10cc's of normalsaline. She was a frequent "external code blue" for us , generally having her seizures on the other side of the hospital outside of Wendy's. (Yes, we have a Wendy's franchise in our hospital, the IRONY!). Gotta love that normalsaline!