Tuesday, May 02, 2006

The Magic Translator Bell.

Nothing says "professionalism in medical service" quite like a drive through window, or at least that is the thinking of my employer. Actually, no, I'm wrong. My employer cares about professionalism only when it can add $$$ to the quarterly earnings statement, so given a choice between a dignified atmosphere and running through a few more paying customers by making the place feel like a McDonalds...yeah, you know which one they pick. For the most part I'm ok with it though, their prompt issuance of large paychecks making the annoyance of dealing with idiots too lazy to get out of their car a fair trade in my book. Not to mention it's usually the techs or cashiers dealing with it. This morning though I had a little stretch where I was minding the happy little pill room all by myself, and the dreaded drive through bell goes off. Now there are 2 bells associated with the driveway of suck. One a motion detector that goes off when you first pull up, and a second button you can push like a doorbell. We really love that second bell. Be sure to push it a lot, especially when you can clearly see that we're on the phone or helping someone else. So, car pulls up and immediately hits that second bell. We're off to a wonderful start. The following is a transcript of the conversation that followed.

Me: Hi, can I help you?

Customer: Something in Spanish my gringo ass doesn't understand. Followed by the customer reaching out and ringing the bell again. DING!

Me: No habla espanol. Un momento. (reaches for phone to call for translator)

Customer: Something in Spanish my gringo ass doesn't understand. DING!

Me into store paging system: "I need a Spanish translator to the pharmacy please."

Customer: Something in Spanish my gringo ass doesn't understand. DING!

Me: No comprendo. No habla espanol.

Customer: yadda yadda yadda.....blah blah blah.......DING!

Me: What are you doing with that bell?

Customer: at least 1 minute of something I don't understand.....DING!

Did he think the button was translating what he was saying? Maybe that it was some sort of recording device that captured his speech and held on to it until he hit the "send" button? By this time the phone rang and when I was done with the call, a translator had shown up and taken care of the customer, so I guess I'll never know. Dumb son of a bitch.

2 comments:

philskaren said...

hahahah.... I once had someone come through the drive through and then yell at me b/c they could not hear ME because THEY were hard of hearing....

Not to mention all the idiots that ignore the "no cell" phone sign, but feel free to honk at us to get our attention.....and we have a bell, WTF

Woden said...

Don't even get me started at the a-holes who come through drive-thrus in those huge diesel trucks... They are hard to hear over even when they are still three cars back, the drivers rarely turn them off even when they are being helped, and it seems like every single one of them is reading from a script when they shout back to us over their engine, "What?! I can't hear you!"