Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Every Month Or So I Tell Myself We Cannot Go Any Lower In Our Political Discourse, And Every Month Or So I Am Proven Wrong.

This night I am torn. Half of me wants to thank my friends the teabaggers for the pure entertainment spectacle you are about to witness, half of me is terrified.

I want you to remember something as you watch this video clip. Due to the arcane rules of the United States Senate, pretty much any member of that body can stop any piece of legislation from moving forward. They do this by putting a secret, anonymous, "hold" on a bill, which basically means "you can't vote on this until I say it's OK" so.....pretty much any Senator could grind the whole place to a halt if they wanted to. Of course I'm sure that's not likely. Absurd even. About as absurd as it would have seemed 20 years ago to make every bill in the Senate overcome a filibuster.

Now I'd like you to meet Christine O'Donnell. Ms. O'Donnell, with the backing of the teabaggers, recently became the Republican nominee for one of Delaware's US Senate seats. Turns out she was also at one time a regular guest on Bill Maher's old TV show, "Politically Incorrect"

She's the one with the big 90's hair. She's also one election away from being a United States Senator.

Roll the tape......

10 comments:

Nurse J said...

awesome. i want to see ALL the tapes.

Unknown said...

Me too.

Anonymous said...

Awesome.

Here are some funny ones too except these are politicians CURRENTLY serving.

Hank Johnson (D) asks if Guam will tip over if the US adds more people to it....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1WSs9B4H5s


Or for some real hilarity just read about SHeila Jackson Lee (D)

http://www.examiner.com/public-policy-in-louisville/is-sheila-jackson-lee-really-that-stupid

pillroller said...

quick somebody make copies before the tapes get erased

Anonymous said...

She may be worse than palin

unrelated: 1st question of the day-(at the consultation window) "where is the butter?"

Anonymous said...

You might need to further school me in civics but can't a 60 vote majority beat any one senator? A cloture vote? The advantage the Dems had before Teddy had his last drink on this earth and the reason they should have accomplished more while in control.

Anonymous said...

"she's a witch--she turned me into a newt. i got better"

DrugMonkey, Master of Pharmacy said...

anonymous 4:40,

Or, you could take advantage of the fact you are on the information superhighway right now and search the internet, which again, you are on right now, for "anonymous hold."

Google is included in most internet access plans, and that way you won't look all helpless by asking me to enlighten you.

Yes, one senator placing a hold on a bill can stop it from being considered. Even if 99 others are begging to pass it.

First lesson's free my friend. Any more and I'll have to charge you tuition.

You're welcome.

Dip Yo' Nut Sack! said...

Oh Mr. Monkey,

Don't you realize the teabaggers are the greatest gift the Dems could ask for (I hope). All they will do is fracture the Repub vote, allowing Dems easier election (I hope, again). The nut-sackers are spoilers! Like Nader and his party were to the Dems.
But, if I'm wrong, and these Morons get elected...uhhh...I'll apologize in advance for my mistake.

Pere Ubu said...

In fact, Jim DeMint (SC-Insane) has talked about doing exactly what you posted about - shutting down the U.S. Government unless HE personally approves of every bill passed in the Senate.

It's way more likely than not, actually.