Tuesday, April 24, 2007

A Day In The Ghetto With The Most Awesome Tech Ever.

I really enjoy the occasional assignments that take me back to my ghetto roots. Being a unilingual gringo, time spent in the Hispanic part of town can be the closest thing a retail pharmacist gets to being left alone to work in silence. Yeah, people are talking all around me, but I have no idea what is being said, allowing me a rare day of focusing on prescriptions as opposed to "WHERE ARE THE KLEENEX???"

By the way, I think "unilingual gringo" would be a really cool name for some sort of awesome sex game.

Most of this morning was spent in the noisy silence that belongs to one who does not speak the native language. About dinnertime though, A car pulls up to the drive through with what evidently is a happy sort of fellow behind the wheel.

"YADDA YADDA BLAH BLAH WORDS GRINGO DOESN'T UNDERSTAND" said the driver. This set off a sort of verbal explosion with the technician manning the window, who then said something like:

YADDAYADDAYADDABLAHBLAHBLAHYIYIYIYI
WORDSUNILINGULAGRINGOWOULDN'TUNDERSTAND
EVENTHOUGHUNILINGUALGRINGOWOULDMAKE
THEMOSTAWESOMESEXGAMEEVER

YADDAYADDAEYYIIIEYYIII
EYIIIIIIICARUMBBBBBAAAAAAAAAAA
!!!!!!!


Although I'm paraphrasing here, I cannot overstate the emotion with which these mystery words were delivered. The customer then said very softly:

yadda yadda. words gringo doesn't understand.

Then drove away.

"Um, V, is there something you want to tell me?" I said as the customer turned into the alley behind the building.

"These fuckers make me so mad!" said V, who proceeded to storm off to the bathroom.

I learned from the clerk manning the cash register the conversation went something like this:

Customer: "Yeah......I'm here to get my druuuuuugs.....some heroin.....my cocaine....."

V: "YOU STOP RIGHT THERE!!!!!! THIS IS A MEDICAL PHARMACY AND YOU WILL TREAT THIS PLACE WITH SOME RESPECT OR YOU WILL LEAVE!!!!!!"

Customer: "I'm sorry ma'am, we were just trying to be funny"

The most awesome customer takedown ever, and I missed it because I'm cursed with being unilingual.

I'm also very cunnilingual, but most, including myself, would consider this a good thing.

I really need to learn Spanish.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I really need to learn Spanish."

...or at least learn the rules to that game!

-The Optomistic Pharmacy Student

Judy said...

You'll need to get the techs to teach you then, because they don't usually teach the really good words in class.

My sign language teacher did, but that was so we would stop embarrassing her with family members. AMAZING what signs are similar to other signs.

Anonymous said...

I am blessed with the unilingual look, but am actually bilingual! Not much gets past me.

nataS said...

I've always been bilingual...that way I can dribble with either hand and really drive toward the lane.

Personally, I've always called you El Vato Blanco...yeah, and don't act like you've never heard me whispering in your ear.