Sunday, August 05, 2012

Sounds Like Rite Aid Is Fully Expecting The Southern California Strike To Go Down.

From the mailbag this day:

As an anonymous Rite Aid intern from the midwest, I can tell you that my PDM called all the interns in our district on Friday to ask us to scab for a week. Flight, car, food, hotel included. I asked if I would have to cross a picket line, and she said yes and that it would be "exciting" and "the best way to serve patients," because I would be helping them get their medication or something. She asked which week of the next four I could go, and if I chose to go I would hear from someone a few days beforehand with details about where I'd be going. She hinted that I would probably get more than 40 hours, but didn't say anything about overtime.

A couple of thoughts:

1) If anyone comes to California and works 40 hours, yes, they will get overtime. Thanks to the battles unions fought on your behalf long ago, it is the state law. Of course, you'll be depending on the integrity of a company in the process of fucking their employees out of health insurance and sick days to follow the law when employing temporary, out of state workers, who will have no one to complain to if they get the shaft. Good luck with that. Also...

2) If you come out here, you run the risk of me driving down there and kicking your ass so hard your rectum ends up in front of your incisors. I have heard rumors of union goons since my arrival in California, and I can only hope they are true, and that they'll give any scabs all the excitement they are looking for. 

3) If I were the UFCW, I would schedule the strike for September 15th. The first day Walgreens will be taking back Express Scripts customers.

4) Fuck anyone who even thinks about coming out here to scab. Fuck them hard and without lube.

11 comments:

William said...

I mean I don't know why you'd expect less from a company that has a stock price of $1.17 and no yearly profit for like 5 years. If they knew how to treat their workers and patients/customers they would actually be a functioning company.

Then again I don't think threatening violence is appropriate for those that come and need the money.

HD M0 1B said...

You actually gete overtime for <40hr/wk in CA? Man, I'm practicing in the wrong state.

Anonymous said...

i dont know why rite aid is still fighting for survival.

Pharmaciststeve said...

Just remember what happened when nurses went on strike in Oakland
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/25/nurse-labor-strike-leads-_n_980176.html
--
and scabs were hired to "take care of patients"
--
at least one did not survive the strike and the "care" provided by all the temp help

Anonymous said...

Any Walgreens workers out there feel that the company is imitating CVS in many ways such this terrible rewards program?

Anonymous said...

If I found out that a co-worker had done such a thing....That would be the last time I interacted with them in any way.The airline industry had to deal with such persons and even after years it is NOT PLEASANT for those who were strike breakers

Anonymous said...

Again, pharmacists will do it to pharmacists. Read this comment by a Rite Aid new hire. http://www.10news.com/news/31320903/detail.html

I tell you pharmacy is dying a ever increasing fast death. We have no public sympathy for our work conditions and thus no support for change.

Smartass, CPhT said...

If I were a Board inspector, I'd plan to visit lots of Rite Aid stores during the strike. I'd hate to find any out-of-state scabs who are working without a CA license...

Anonymous said...



You are a great writer. I have read many of your posts and have found them amusing and at times dead on. The Jon Stewart bit was great.

However, understanding corporate America did you really think that your company would allow you to poke the monkey without some sort of action. How often did you consider the fact that you could get fired for what you or your character were writing.

If Jon Stewart went on his show during a writers strike and expressed the thoughts you did in your post what would be the comedy channels response? Violence in the work place is an issue in the news these days and it only takes a nudge for some nut to act.

You are a talented and intelligent guy so don't be surprised when a suit or whack job takes you serious.

Write a book, you have great material.

Anonymous said...

To Anonymous at 7:38 PM
Here's how Rite Aid reacted to a real incident in one of their stores. I was punched in the face by a customer while working in a RA store. When I called my PDM, he said to shut down for 1/2 hour. My scheduler wanted to know what I'd said to the customer. (She rapidly backpedalled on that - it was just a knee-jerk reaction, quite common in the customer service world.) Corp said they would take no legal action against the perp, but would not try to interfere if I wanted to. They also provided the security tape, which made the case. The ADA was obviously delighted with the tape. Customer was convicted and fined. Oh, and the Court, as a matter of SOP, issued a restraining order.

Anonymous said...

Does RA really think they can just bring in a bunch of out of state interns and work them in California?