Wednesday, August 08, 2012

Before We Get To Tonight's Main Event, Someone Insults The Honor Of CVS, And I Correct Them.

This all started with a piece in the Los Angeles Times that said people seem to have a way of ending up on CVS' automatic filling program (which they call ReadyFill) who never asked to be put there.

CVS' (spokesman Mike) DeAngelis denied that any production quotas exist for ReadyFill.

Seems pretty cut and dried. No quotas. Case closed.

I recently sent the following email to my district manager regarding our ReadyFill quota (playing dumb): 
To which he replied:
"Our target on ReadyFill is set at 40% of all ReadyFill eligible prescriptions." 
So CVS DOES have a ReadyFill quota despite Michael DeAngelis (LA Times article) saying there is no quota.

That was from my mailbag this night. And this letter writer could not have been more wrong. As you can see, CVS has a target, not a quota. Get your facts straight because the difference is very important.

It's like the difference between a program called ReadyFill and one called AutoFill. Get it now? I'm glad I could clear that up. Because being signed up for a program against your will to meet a target is way different than being automatically signed up for a program against your will to meet a quota. I'm sure patients understand that.

Because if there wasn't a huge difference between being pressured to meet a target and being pressured to meet a quota, that would mean CVS lied to the LA Times, or at least was disingenuous. And no corporation is more trustworthy than CVS.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rite Aid too my friend. Our "target" is also 40%. Funny how they came up with the same number. You are put on a list and reprimanded if you don't meet it. That my friends, is a quota.

Anonymous said...

The part I love is if you don't come and get your often unwanted med at that time they reprimand you like a half-witted dog. I take a fairly expensive $998 a month med that frankly even with my copay I can't just "get over there and buy it" the moment you robo call me. I have asked so many time to get off the auto fill that I never asked to be on. I even tried to switch pharmacies but Caremark won't do the maintenance plus elsewhere. Any sugestions?

DrugMonkey, Master of Pharmacy said...

Anonymous 8:47,

You could try your state's Board of Pharmacy. This is a potential safety issue that they might be interested in nipping in the bud before they get a call that someone died when CVS auto filled a medicine their doctor stopped without ever asking the patient.

Also might be worth a look into any consumer protection agencies your state may have. And your local media might be interested the way the LA Times was.

Might be worth a try before any of that though, to go down to the store one last time, and be very.....VERY....adamant that you are not to be put on the ReadyFill. Kick ass and take names. Literally.

Wait. If I tell you to kick someone's ass, and especially if I say literally. Someone might fire me.

Wait again. I can't be fired twice. Go for it.