Friday, November 26, 2010

From The "I Could Not Have Said It Better Given All Eternity" Department

"I am sorry to have to introduce the subject of Christmas. It is an indecent subject; a cruel, gluttonous subject; a drunken, disorderly subject; a wasteful, disastrous subject; a wicked, cadging, lying, filthy, blasphemous, and demoralising subject. Christmas is forced on a reluctant and disgusted nation by the shopkeepers and the press: on its own merits it would wither and shrivel in the fiery breath of universal hatred; and anyone who looked back to it would be turned into a pillar of greasy sausages."

-George Bernard Shaw

Happy fucking Black Friday.

6 comments:

midwest woman said...

Total non-sequiter comment but Barack Obama follows your twitter??? very cool.

Từ Thanh Giác said...

Shit! I forgot to go shopping on Black Friday!

I have fond Christmas memories. Yes! They were the good old days, when Santa filled my stocking with coal. and when depressed Mom knocked over the Christmas tree with her bowling ball. Why did I ever leave Christianity and deprive myself of such fun.

Stephen Monteith said...

Here's my feeling. You're supposed to "love each other and be good to each other" (in the words of my parents) all the time (or as much as possible). On the other hand, buying presents, flowers, chocolates, and/or greeting cards every day of the year would break all of our banks. So, once a month or less, we have a day for splurging on the ones we hold in our hearts; Thanksgiving, Christmas, Valentine's, birthdays, etc.

Cheesy? Yeah; but as cynical as I am, I practically need a break every now and then. The holidays seem like a good time for "cheese" breaks.

Anonymous said...

i second that, i hate christmas

Anonymous said...

Well, I guess donning the old gay apparel is out.

Loup Garrou

Anonymous said...

Greasy sausages, eh?