Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Highlights From Today's Pill Counting Action.

Spent the day training our new pharmacy grad Jerry. His dad was a pharmacist. Says it's all he ever wanted to do. Seems like an enthusiastic, compassionate kid. Had him spend the morning getting used to being 'the pharmacist' by verifying prescriptions and counseling patients. He's very good with people.

After lunch when things quieted down, I decided to give Jerry a dose of reality. I told him it's a great job. Pharmacists get to promote good health. But in the back of your mind, liability always lingers.

So I gave him a couple of important tips...

  • When in doubt, question the prescriber
  • Store 'look alike, sound alike' drugs on different shelves
  • Make sure you repeat back all verbal orders

I also asked Jerry about his professional liability insurance. I explained how it's always a good idea to have additional insurance, especially since services like immunization and MTM are becoming more mainstay in pharmacy practice.

_______________________________________________________


What? Why are you looking at me like that? Because that's the greatest blog post I've ever written? Because in a few short paragraphs I've managed to capture the essence of what being a real world pharmacist is like in today's heathcare environment? 

I'd love to take credit for this work of brilliance. Really, I would, but actually I plagiarized it. Took it word for word from an advertisement in the July issue of Pharmacy Today, an official publication of the American Pharmacist's Association. 

You should have known APhA was involved the second you realized there was no connection to reality.

At any rate, it would seem that The Organization No One Cares About™ has decided they want a piece of this pharmacy blogging action, but haven't quite realized blogging requires the use of a computer. Here's a copy of their ad: 







































"Make sure your blog has a happy ending" it says at the bottom of the ad. I'm pretty sure the people at APhA are just fucking with me now. Although they did get in a good line about MTM becoming more mainstay in pharmacy practice. That line was comedy gold.

I scoured the Google after seeing this, and it turns out Jerry has a blog of his own. Here was his entry for July 5th:

Showed up for my first day at work and I've never seen anything like this numbnut they had running the place. He spent a good hour talking about the "sacred trust" that is given to pharmacists while 30 prescriptions backed up waiting for him to get off his ass. I finally shoved him out of the way to get some drugs out the door. My Dad was a pharmacist, so I know damn well no one gets paid until we get the medicine to the cash register. Dipshit spent 30 minutes deciding what to do when the computer warned him about an interaction between enalapril and hydrochlorathiazide (They're available in the same pill for Christ's sake!)  while I was taking 15 goddamn phone calls. They told me one of the techs got fired last week for actually taking a swing at this douchebag, and honestly, from what I saw today, I don't blame the guy. I think I'm going to buy some extra liability insurance if I'm gonna be stuck cleaning up this stupid fuck's messes for the rest of my career. I also think I'm going to start drinking. 
Oh, and that tech they fired? They're not going to replace his hours. Fuck my life. 

Welcome to the profession young Jerry. It seems you'll fit in just fine.

9 comments:

Mildly Irritated Pharmacist said...

I'm still in awe of how some people don't know what the fuck a blog is... Or cannot seem to comprehend the difference between a blog, a post and a comment. I've given up trying to explain.

Another reason to get liability insurance: The 80 year old pharmacist you work with who can't/won't retire because of the economy just killed another person today. Lamisil does kind of look like Lanoxin in that wacky PA's handwriting.

APhA: Where reality goes to die.

Từ Thanh Giác said...

His Dad is a pharmacist and this kid wants to follow in his footsteps. I conclude that he must be a Mormon.

pillroller said...

kind of reminds me of my first partner. He was the kind of guy who gave real customer service especially to the women. "Ray" tried to screw everything in a skirt, that was back then when women wore dresses, and took all kinds of vitamins and b-12 shots to keep up with the herd. How did he manage to lure them in you ask? Why with a breadcrumb trail of valium and tylenol #3 of course. welcome to the world kid !

Wintry Wasteland Wanderer said...

One would assume, that since his father was a RPh, then he would know the ins and outs of the "real" pharmacy and not what the APhA gives it the illusion of.

Good choice to pick up drinking!

Tonina said...

Awww, how sweet. I'm sure Ward the kindly and knowledgeable senior pharmacist got in his time machine and traveled back to 1956, walked home to his pearl-wearing, perfectly coiffed, ever-so-content-to-stay-at-home wife June and told her all about eager young Jerry and how he gave the young man a "dose of reality." And she smiled her plastic smile and told him, "That's wonderful, dear. I'm sure he's glad to have you guiding him." And Ward smiled a smile of the purest self-satisfaction, and all was right with his world.

I need a dose of an antiemetic after reading that dreck.

Anonymous said...

I see that APhA is still living in their dream world. They remind me of all the crazy crap that comes down from the home office on my job. Recently, I did an evaluation of myself. Huh? Why would any company want you to evaluate yourself? Of course, I gave myself a high rating...a role model. Ha! One time the home office sent a memo wanting us pharmacists to go outside the pharmacy and greet the customers, shake their hands, and etc. I just wonder who they thought was going to fill the rx's while I was out chatting with customers. And, don't you think the customers would rather get their meds filled than chat with me? I wish APhA would go broke and be gone! We certainly don't need them trying to represent us.

Anonymous said...

Hey!!! I've got the *perfect* visual for this post!

http://bit.ly/bS5RVT

As if you need another bit of evidence of APhA's general irrelevancy, this portrait was included in the organization's 2010 free calendar, "Great Moments In Pharmacy", which, if you review the realistic portrait that represents each month, will reveal that pharmacy was invented and refined solely by White Men.

Is it just me, or does "Jerry" look a little bit retarded?

PharmerK8

Anonymous said...

Ohhhh APhA, all the years of tossing out your magazines and flipping through endless ads for useless junk like this. Jerry will probably end up with a liver transplant in 2 years from all the drinking he'll be doing to cope with the madness of the retail world, haha.

GirlieSoGroovie said...

Was that whole story for real? That is fucking hilarious!! Just who was giving who real world advice here? Bahahaha!