Saturday, March 13, 2010

But It Was The New Very Berry Flavor. Surely That Works Better.

The purps knew exactly what they were doing. The lighting in the video was dark and foreboding, yet the two days worth of facial stubble on the face of the hostage came through just as clearly as the desperation contained behind his fearful eyes.

"I am a fraud, and I'm sorry it ever came to this," the voice softly cracked into the camera. "I just want to say I miss my wife and family very much, and I hope you listen to the requests of my captors"

The knife pressed against his throat as the screen went dark.

A week ago it had all seemed so easy. A week ago he was making a routine presentation to another health department strapped for cash and feeling overwhelmed and overstressed. He knew their budget had been cut. He knew health departments did not like the expense of fighting off infections. A full-scale deployment of the immune system was not cheap. And he knew most health departments were run by the brain cells that were not exactly the sharpest knives in the drawer.

He was Airborne,™ and he had made a pretty good living off people who can't understand the words "there is no cure for the common cold"

This time, however, he was up against Pneumococcal pneumonia.

He knew something was wrong as soon as he merged into the bloodstream. His plan was to check into the hotel and lay low for a week, then emerge and claim all credit and a fat paycheck when the cold had resolved itself, the way it always does. The blood was warm though. Too warm. Broken white blood cells were lying in the median, some crying, some too exhausted to move, some on the verge of death. "The doxycycline......oh God....the doxycycline is here....we might have a chance" muttered the shell-shocked white blood cell lieutenant. Airborne had no idea what he was talking about and slowly drove past. He heard the unique laughter that marks the mentally broken as he pulled away, but he knew it was too late to turn back.

That night 5 members of the streptococcus pneumoniae militia broke into his hotel room, and they did terrible things to Airborne. They found orifices he had no idea were there. They created new orifices. They gave him pain like he never experienced in his wildest nightmares. They made him say it as they chopped off one of his fingers:

The Airborne health formula helps to support your immune system through its blend of vitamins and minerals. Airborne’s unique combination of vitamins, nutrients and proprietary blend of herbal extracts all work together to create the formula people swear by.

They laughed and made him say it again and chugged more tequila. Then they cut off another one of his fingers and made the video where he begged for his life.

Doxycycline found what was left of Airborne's corpse as soon as he emerged through the duodenum. He winced, but did not weep. In the end, no one wept for Airborne. The wife he claimed to miss so much spent the life insurance settlement on breast enhancement surgery, and Airborne was buried in an unmarked grave, along with the hopes of a million or so suckers, who thought there was a cure for the common cold.

15 comments:

Từ Thanh Giác said...

Airborne never fooled me. I wear garlic around my neck.

Dear Thyroid said...

What a great post.Thank you!
I do have to admit though that I kind of feel sorry for Airborne.
Looks like he didn´t stand a chance to begin with.
There really is no cure for the common cold.

Fed up said...

My mother uses that crap. I've given up trying to convince her that she is wasting her money on it. I guess I'll just hope it induces a placebo effect for her.

Heather said...

Airborne. Oh, my.

I have put myself through undergrad using one of the best kept secrets: Rich, stay-at-home-moms who still need at least 20+ hours of childcare a week. (Hey, they have to find time to write checks to the housekeepers, the gardeners and to hang out the dry cleaning for the pick-up service!) Anyway- those women will buy anything. None of them will listen to me, either, so I have stopped saying it. Although this past year I did forward around a medical journal article talking about how useless and fraudulent that Oscillococcinum stuff is.... Yet they all run down to the local Whole Foods and buy it by the case...

But what I really wanted to comment on is that, as a fellow Mensan, I'm pretty sure that once you're in, you're in. I haven't paid dues in years. Isn't it nice to have paperwork that proves that you are, in fact, smarter than at least 98% of people you meet? It has really helped keep me sane some days...

Phrustrated Pharmacist said...

Do you hear that sound? It's Oprah's heart breaking. How could you? I'm not sure we want to hear the Neti Pot's fate....or do we? By the way, I still remember your post where you said eating the cardboard box that Airborne comes in would be as effective as taking it's contents. Airborne is pharmacy comedy gold.

Anonymous said...

I tell everyone who even thinks about buying it not to waste their money. Screw airborne. Didn't they get sued?

r0t said...

I've heard numerous pharmacists recommend Airborne. Every time I hear it, I feel my hourly rate should increase by $1/hr.

Anonymous said...

Recommend airborne or tell someone to use it when they insist we give them something that will cure their common cold? A fool and their money are easily parted and I have learned the hard way some people will not except 'there is no cure for the common cold'. I tell them that once and if they press I tell them to buy emergent c. It isn't my job to keep them from wasting their money if they won't listen to me.

What is really getting on my nerves are the idiot parents who insist I recommend a cough medicine for their less then 2 year old child. Right after telling me their doctor recommend against using a cough medicine in their child.

Anonymous said...

its become very difficult dealing with mothers now, cant sell anything for cough and colds in under 6's. not because the drugs were dangerous, but because the parents were. Its especially difficult when the boxes still say 1-12 years on them.

I loved the recent anti-boots/anti-homeopathy protest here. people standing outside boots chuffing back a year or mores supply of homeopathic medicine in one go, to prove how effective it really is.

Anonymous said...

Any drug "invented by a teacher" has to work, right? I mean, who would know more than teachers about drugs?

ThatDeborahGirl said...

I've taken it and it's made me feel better when I've had oncoming cold symptoms. And since my daughter started doing a teaching stint at the local elementary school for her pre-college course, she swears by it.

IDK? Are we silly? Have u ever taken it?

Anonymous said...

Airborne works brilliantly, you are all retarded. I had a cold last month and took airborne. After 2 weeks of taking the remedy my cold was completely gone.

Anonymous said...

That last comment is brilliant.

Dreamer said...

I love you DrugMonkey!! You're my hero!!

Anonymous said...

Every time customer asks me about the Airborne and Flu Combination OTC prep. I tell them, if you are healthy and has no clod symptoms then you take Airborne ( I personally spend that money buying Power Ball) and if you are sick as dog and suffering, take Cold/Flu OTC remedies.