Monday, July 13, 2009

Well That Didn't Take Long. The Bill Monning Chronicles Continue.

I wrote less than 24 hours ago that I would match the next $250 in contributions to my personal Bill Monning fund drive dollar for dollar, and you guys proceeded to blow through my money faster than anyone since my ex-wife. Unlike my ex-wife though, you have my sincere thanks. Despite what The Angry Pharmacist says about you, you've proven what I've known all along. I have the most kick-ass set of blog readers in the world.

I'm kidding about The Angry Pharmacist, but not about my thanks, or about the fact there is a bit of a crimp in my scotch budget now. So I will ask the most kick-ass set of blog readers in the world this. Do you have any ideas for what to do with rum? Because a bottle of rum is all I have in the kitchen right now, and it's looking like I'm gonna have to make do with it this week. And rum is gross.

So now that my matching contribution ploy has me on a date with Bacardi, I'm going back into the NPR bag of tricks and offering a gift incentive for your donation. Not a coffee mug or a tote bag my friends, but something far better. I know how much you like the "Highlights From Today's Pill Counting Action" posts. I don't blame you. I like them myself. So I'll tell you what. When we get that thermometer on the right hand side of the page up to $1500, you will get a "Highlights From Last Wednesday's Pill Counting Action." Last Wednesday sucked penis in the happy little pill room. Trust me, it'll be worth it. And if we get it up (get it up.....huh huh) to $2000, I will chronicle each day of the following workweek in "Highlights From Today's Pill Counting Action" form.


Yes, this means I am whoring out my writing skills, but if you're in the profession I don't have to tell you why. Did you get to take a piss at work today when you needed to? Get some lunch did ya? Do all your state-mandated OBRA counselling with each new prescription? I mean, the law says you have to offer to counsel with each new prescription, so I'm sure your employer is providing you with all the tools you need to comply, yes?

If you're in the profession you know damn well what the answers to those questions are, but if you're a member of the general public, you probably don't. Which is why the work Bill Monning did to expose our working conditions was so important. Because if the general public knew, they wouldn't tolerate it.

The way APhA does. The more I think about this the more pissed I become at APhA.


By the way, the original goal for the next "Highlights" post was going to be $1000, but as I was writing this, two contributions came in that raised our total to $960.

You guys really do rock. Now make me do some writing.

13 comments:

fishmom said...

Bacardi limon and Sprite tastes a lot like Trix. It's no Cap'n Crunch, but still good.

Mike said...

I think there's some shit you can do with rum and bananas, but all the alcohol burns out of it at the end... so scratch that thought.

midwest woman said...

nurse here..you pharmacy guys rock..wish nurses here in Misery would band together but there's no Monnning for us. When your boss says the Ca. Assoc. of Nursing is the cause of the health crisis there, don't think it's gonna happen.
AS for the Scotch, Walgreen's used to have the cheapest liquor in town and then poof it went away like Prohibition was resurrected.What was that about?
Anyhoo good luck and kick some political ass.

Gourmandish said...

Dammit, I have to be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident to contribute?

Stupid campaign laws.

For those of you wondering why, as a Canadian, I have an interest in this, I'll point out that the biggest pharmacy chain in Canada is owned by American interests, and as people in the profession here are aware, working conditions are rapidly deteriorating. I could hold Wal-Mart up as a not-so-shining example of this as well, and many others. Those in Canadian retail pharmacy seem to take their cues from what happens south of the border, so while what Bill Monning is doing might not directly impact the retail profession in Canada, I'll wager it will at least have an indirect impact.

Guess I'll have to talk to my American friends and see if one of them will spot me a Franklin or two.

Anonymous said...

rum and pepsi (or coke but pepsi is better for this) and some lime juice

The Creole Julep

2 1/4 oz. Cruzan Single Barrel Estate Rum
1/2 oz. Clement Creole Shrubb
1/4 oz. Captain Morgan 100 Rum
2 dashes Fee Bros. Peach bitters
2 dashes Angostura bitters
8-10 mint leaves1 Demerara Sugar Cube

Put mint in glass with the sugar and muddle gently. Fill halfway with crushed ice, add the rums. Don’t stir. Fill rest of the way with crushed ice. Finally, add the bitters.


tnt

Anonymous said...

you know the other day when my boss told me i had to work 14 hour days instead of 13 hour days I couldnt help but just sit down and cry. Thank you for bringing this to my attention :) the donation is already done!

Thom Foolery said...

Drug Monkey,

I guzzled rum in lieu of scotch on Independence Day, so I feel your pain. (I stopped feeling my pain about two cocktails into the holiday.)

Here are two suggestions:

Rum + fruit juice = always good

Rum + cola + lime = Cuba Libre! (you can envision a single payer health care system as you drink)

Anonymous said...

I am a broke student at UCSF but I am donating $5 to this cause.

FOR THE LOVE OF A DRUG MONKEY AND OUR PROFESSION!

I work as a CphT at a really busy Rong-Aid and I see it every day. I try to do everything to the very utmost limit of my legal ability as a tech. to take the load off the pharmacist. Hell, if I could take a piss FOR him, I would.

Great cause, Monkey!

Cap'n Cakez said...

I caved and actually gave $25! =-)

Let's make it happen, people!

Kira said...

Student at ASU here, but I tossed in $25 to the cause; here's to supporting legislators who actually work for the constituents instead of the corporations!

And as for rum drinks, my absolute favorite is Pearl Diver's Punch - http://www.kaiserpenguin.com/mxmo-orange-pearl-divers-punch/

Not something you'd really be able to drink in the next week, since you've got to soak the pimento dram and falernum for at least a couple of weeks, but man, is it worth it once you've got the ingredients on hand. (The multiple types of rum can be cheated into 2 3/4 oz gold rum, which is what I did - see above re: student. I'm not sure if it'd be better as written, given all the flavorings you're adding to the drink anyway.)

Scritches.com said...

Frozen daquiris! Numb your mouth as you numb your mind.

Anonymous said...

I never ever make political contributions. DM, you have done what no starving children, abused animals, or hurricane victims have done-- you made sumotoad open his wallet. Bless you buddy, good work.

Jake Mock said...

Wondering if you could talk about APhA in a post. Whatever your feelings, I can't help but think that the APhA wouldn't be better off with you a as a member. Your feelings are probably different, and it'd be interesting to hear them.