Wednesday, July 15, 2009

I Keep My End Of The Bill Monning Bargain. Highlights From Wednesday's Pill Counting Action.

Once again I was looking down the barrel of a twelve hour workday, but once again this day started as one of hope. Those of you in the profession are well aware that in any pharmacy anywhere on the planet, there are always various pieces of electronic equipment that are non-functional. You may spend 6 years in college learning drugs my friends, but when you get out you'll learn to how to hold hardware together with paper clips, rubber bands, and duct tape. You'll learn how to jiggle power cords and exactly where on the outer casing to give the machine a good smack to get it to work. Or you'll learn how to bypass the goddamn thing altogether and still get your work done. This morning, however, as I struggled to hear the overnight voicemail through the telephone line that had a short circuit, I looked across the store and saw the entrance of our corporation's electronic repairman. When he left two hours later it was the beginning of a new era of Pax Technologica. For the first time that I can remember in my career, every machine in the pharmacy was fully functional. The people? Not so much.

"I take aspirin for my heart. Is this OK?" said the befuddled old man. "This" was clearly labeled as aspirin. I told him for the love of God to never put one of those in his mouth. Not really. I did wonder what these people will do when mail-order pharmacy takes over the entire universe. Because there seems to be more and more of these type of people around.

Right on cue with these thoughts, the next woman asked where the castor oil was. She came back a few minutes later with a bottle clearly labeled "Magnesium Citrate" and asked if it was castor oil. She was pregnant. I wondered what she would do when mail order pharmacy takes over the entire universe and who could have possibly have stuck his pecker in that.

I was also feeling not so good about the 5 years and all the dollars I spent to go to college until the computer made me feel better by trying to warn me that thyroid replacement therapy was contraindicated in patients with hypertension. Not that thyroid replacement should be used cautiously mind you, but that it was contraindicated. So evidently it is now best medical practice to let the thyroid glands of those with high blood pressure run amok. Who knew. I let it slide though, because I was living in the age of Pax Technologica.

"So the paper I brought in today said I have 6 refills, that means I have 2 coming to me, right?" I swear that's exactly what he said, and I could think of absolutely no reason why this man would think he had anything other than 6 refills coming to him. It was a competition this day between the machines and the humans to see who could make the least sense, and try as the machines might, the humans seemed to be winning.

The machines responded by ending Pax Technologica. The label printer started making farting noises. I swear. It was like the printer had just finished off a whole plate of beans and I made lemonade out of this lemon by taking the opportunity to release a little pressure from lunch myself. The ugliest woman in the world walked by carrying a bag from Victoria's Secret and I almost lost some lunch out the other end.

A lady came up to the counter right at the height of the after work rush and said she needed the loratadine "without all the sneezy and watery eye stuff in it." There seems to be at least one customer like this at the height of every after work rush. I put in a good effort to explain it to her. Really I did. That loratadine by its very nature treats sneezing and watery eyes. I opened up with every bit of 5 years worth of college drug learnin' firepower, but after a good 5 minutes with the phone ringing, the fax machine whirring, the printer farting, and the people backing up at the counter, she was having none of it. I finally gave up and told her it was at CVS, which may have confirmed my reservation in hell. The humans had trounced the machines in the clueless competition this day, as they do most. I started to wonder if maybe the Unabomber wasn't as crazy as he is portrayed, and pledged to track down a copy of his manifesto when this workday was done.

Thanks for coming through for Bill Monning, the one person in any position of leadership who has ever stood up for you. My pledge to chronicle the entire workweek after we reach $2000 in "Highlights From Today's Pill Counting Action" form still stands. I have no fear I will lack material.

9 comments:

Elliott said...

I suggest you name your future book, "Highlights from Today's Pill Counting Action: Tales of a (the?) Drugmonkey."

Cap'n Cakez said...

Being a Tech, I just don't get to answer these awesome questions about Claritin and Aspirin, lol. Man...

Thanks, DM. How will we know that Bill Monning is getting our contributions/knows it's us?

DrugMonkey, Master of Pharmacy said...

auffer,

Act Blue takes care of the nuts and bolts of getting our money to Monning. I've used them before, and they work wonderfully.

All contributions are itemized for the candidate in order for them to comply with campaign finance law, so his staff will most assuredly notice a flood of contributions from random pharmacy folks around the country.

Which is exactly what we wanted....:)

Unknown said...

DM, you need to update ActBlue to reflect the new $2000 goal!

Romius T. said...

I have read the unabomber manifesto. very, Very dry. Something about how we need to blow up civilization so that we don;t have time to waste and get anxious (and start sending mail bombs?) good read though. I recm!

After that read David Icke's the biggest secret. We are all ruled by reptiles. (I new you weren't ready for this!)

I stole it off the internets last night. No way that guy deserves any money for that,...

Anonymous said...

Dear Mr. Drugmonkey:

I have been a loyal reader and occasional commenter. Because of your posts I have become the ideal customer: I call in my refills early, drop scripts off and have no problem coming back the next day to pick them up, always have my insurance info up to date, never accost the pharmacist or tech over my copay, don't ask either of them where the toilet paper is, wait patiently behind all of the other demon customers and I always, always say please and thank you. I'm even fairly understanding that, despite all of that, my pharmacist is a total dick to me. I mean, I have a vague idea of what he goes through all day, so I try to give him some slack when he's just a flat out a-hole to me.

But today was my turn to be a nightmare patient. See, my dr is upping my lamictal from 200 mgs to 300 mgs over the next month. She wrote the script as "225mg once a day for 1 week, 250 mgs once a day for 1 week, 275 once a day for 1 week and 300 mgs once a day for 1 week." No pill #s, nothing. (Her exact words were "He can figure out this train wreck.") I apologized profusely as I handed it over and I believe I asked him "not to have a stroke" over it.

He was very perplexed by it. He read it over a few times, not sure what to do with it. Finally I asked if he could give me 200 mg tabs with 25 mg tabs to fill in the rest, and he said that would probably work. He asked me to give him an hour (no lie- he has never asked for more than 15 minutes EVER) and then to come back. And as I walked away, I heard him say to the tech "See if you can figure out how to handle this."

Here's my question: How hard can this possibly be? I can't be the first individual in the history of the pharmaceutical world to need to titrate to a higher dose. Granted, it was much easier when they were flinging the starter packs around, but still. Using your skill and logic, how would you solve my story problem?

Anonymous said...

I have a confession-I think I'm the reason why you're getting hits from United HealthCare (aka RxSol). Yes, I'm employed by the megamonster mail-order conglomerate. But in my defense, I only started working there about 8 months ago after getting laid off from an independent retail pharmacy. (And nobody else was hiring, not even the chains!) I'd mentioned to one of the PharmDs about how much I loved your column one day-that was actually the first day you got the hit from us! I think word of mouth has spread you far and wide among the employees!!!

Please find it in your DM heart to forgive me!

Anonymous said...

drug monkey, where you be at??!

adrizen said...

When God gives you lemons, you FIND A NEW GOD!